Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / (A question) AGK Teir 1: HTML front end with AGK core

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 22:30
Alright,

I have been out of the community for a very long time and have decided to get back in to some form of personal development. I am not making a game or anything like that at the moment, it may be quite sometime before I do so.

I was wondering (may have overlooked some documentation):

Is it possible and feasible to create an HTML document(s)and have them controlled with AppGameKit?

Example:

Create a web page with a "Register" and a "Login" button, then create a the back end with AppGameKit to handle (write to DB, load new pages based on input) the information that is passed from the HTML document.

Thanks in advance,
RF
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 22:48
AGK does not have any direct database functionality at all.

And, while it can open a web page in a browser, it does not have a way to interact with the browser or 'know' anything that happens on it.

However, you can create forms in AppGameKit (using Text and Edit objects) and then interface with your domain server, usually using PHP pages, to store and/or retrieve things in a database.

My WIP has a simple register 'page' (it requests a user name for the database) and does a lot to send and retrieve game play information to my site (www.triassicgames.com).

It helps to know PHP, or at least a language that is supported on your web server that allows you to communicate with the database on your web server. I suppose, if it enabled on your server, you could use Perl or (shudders) ASP.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 22:49 Edited at: 19th Aug 2013 22:51
Quote: "Is it possible and feasible to create an HTML document(s)and have them controlled with AppGameKit?"

Not really.. I'm not going to say it's impossible but I think any means of doing this would have to be incredibly contrived. It would be especially problematic given that you say in the title that you are looking at using Tier 1.

May I ask why you are looking to use AppGameKit as your server side language? There are many languages purpose built for this task but AppGameKit is really not one of them.

EDIT:
AL just beat me to it!

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 23:06
Quote: "May I ask why you are looking to use AppGameKit as your server side language? There are many languages purpose built for this task but AppGameKit is really not one of them."

I'm not looking at using it as a server side language. I'm just wondering about the functionality of AppGameKit in such an environment.

If I did anything with it I would use it to pull information from the DB via PHP and display it on the user client app and then send the information back via PHP to update the DB.

I know, I kind of phrased it wrong in my original post. The bold text above is what I had in mind.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 23:39
Quote: "If I did anything with it I would use it to pull information from the DB via PHP and display it on the user client app and then send the information back via PHP to update the DB."

Yes, you can do all of that, as I mentioned I am doing.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 23:55
Yeah, my brain is a bit like moosh right now. I have to go take my A++ practical, web design and my web development C# cert exams tomorrow.

Thanks for the info!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 00:49
Quote: "A++ practical"

I would have thought that A++ has been long superseded by C++ (or did C++ earn a new grade?).

(Or I don't have a clue about what A++, also possible.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 00:55 Edited at: 20th Aug 2013 00:55
All the A++ cert does is let any potential employer know that I troubleshoot, fix, maintain and manage computers and some network infrastructures..

Other than that it's just a requirement that needs to be filled. The problem with my Cert is it is based off of the 2009 cert and not the new 2011 cert that dropped this month.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:16:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:16:21