Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / giLE2D - 2D Map Creator For AGK! (Includes intro vid)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 02:44 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 16:00
Hello All!

I just wanted to stop by and let you all know about a new piece of software I am developing called "giLE2D".

It is a 2D map creator, optimised fo AppGameKit (see video below).

At the moment, it allows for static (non-scrolling) and parallax-scrolling maps though conceivably, in its current state, it could do most any type of 2D map.

Currently, it is in in-house beta, with a view to releasing the software in late November-early December 2013.

I am currently working on the help system, which will have embedded how-to videos along with instructional text and pictures.
Here is a quick list of features:

* Optimized for AGK
* Drag n Drop Media and Asset Importing
* Import Log Reporting
* Multiple User-Defined Sprite Layer Support
* Create Static and Dynamic Backdrops (scrolling and non-scrolling)
* Double-Click To Immediately Add Objects
* 10 Default Sprite Type Auto-Settings (Map Geometry, Player, Jump Pads, Moving Platforms, Collectibles, etc.)
* Sprite Property Editor, with 31 Distinct Properties Per Sprite
* Sprite Cloning System
* Image Based Asset/Media Picker
* Basic AppGameKit Frameworks Supplied For 2 Game Types (scrolling and non-scrolling games)
* Drag n Snap Map Object Placement
* Export Map to BMP Feature
* Multiple Application Color Schemes
* Autosave
* Current Map Inventory List (no need to search through hundreds of sprites!)
* Delete Layer Feature, with Option To Move Sprites To Another Layer Before Delete
* HTML Based Help System With Embedded "How-To" Videos
* Map Report (coming soon!)
* Application Independent Of OpenGL/DirectX
* "Run Map" Feature To Immediately Test Your Map Using The Supplied Frameworks
* Grid Line Color Changing For Better Map Contrast
* One Click Image Editing - Shell Out To Your Favorite Graphics Editor
* One Click Directly View Assets In Windows Explorer
* Proprietary Map Format With Real World Parsing Examples In AppGameKit Basic
* Coming Soon - XML and JSON Map Output

You can read more at
http://retrofps.com/wordpress1/home-retro-fps/gile2d-the-new-2d-game-level-creator-for-agk/

If anyone has any questions, I will try to be as prompt as possible! Forgive me if I am not as timely over the next 2-3 weeks!

LittlePIC
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Grooovy!

Pretty cool looking editor. Like to see this in action
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 04:19 Edited at: 19th Nov 2013 16:01
Hi LittlePIC!

A demo will be available to all around the end of November (2013, of course, hopefully!)

I am attempting to keep a regular blog of the progress...

http://retrofps.com/wordpress1/category/gile2d-blog/

...something I was encouraged to do. I started the blog way after core development was done, but I'll retro-post some stuff for those who are interested, and for those who are not...

I'd like to release as complete of a product as possible in demo form, so the October date is tentative. I will be keeping those who are interested abreast of progress though.

Thank you very much for taking a look!

All the best!

Gary.

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Grooovy,
it looks really nice.
Just a question, does it support user data properties for sprites (some sprite variables with free format in which the user can write what he wants in order to interpret later in the game code)?
Good work.
Regards.
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 06:54
Hi BraindeaD!

It just took me about 30 seconds to type your username correctly !!! LOL!

Anyway, the answer is yes, I do have a "Tag" property in there right now... it is of type integer, since that is what Tier One likes.

However, I am open to suggestions for future releases. The possibilities are only limited by the users imagination.

Using the tag property, you can specify enum values, constants, etc in your AppGameKit code, making sprites, game objects, et. al. do certain things based on the tag value.

I would like to add a "variant" type, that could be any value (integer, char, string, etc), but that will probably be a feature I would add after initial release.

Hope that answers your question!

All the best!

Gary.

BraindeaD
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Gary,
That's exactly that I asking for!
Thanks for the answer... And for write correctly my username!

Regards!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 15:32
This looks really useful. Nice work!

You can never have too much sausage
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2013 17:28
Thanks baxslash!

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2013 05:03
really great ! it seems there is a lot of functions and the editor is well done and very clean.

Keep up the good work Grooovy!
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 06:05 Edited at: 24th Sep 2013 06:25
Wow, that pretty cool. It compiles the code and test it out that is a good feature wish I thought about that. So did you use agk to make your editor or something else just want to know. I think that your editor will actually be better then mine currently. I don\'t have a way for the user to test out the program that is ok I guess. That must be some hefty code I know my editor is 10,000 lines long that probably the same as your editor, but good luck trying to sell it. Especially when there so many editors coming out.

but only four layers kind of limiting that is the only thing that is distracting. So does it even make the code for the user that would be very usefull. I thought you could use a tiled import like what i did its ok if you don't use tiled I just thought it would be use-full to have tiled import in the options.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 15:43
Hi 3d,

Yes, I wrote this in Delphi 2010, native win32 application.
The run map feature just does a ShellExecute to a Tier 1 AppGameKit framework (one of two I wrote for testing maps).

I am supplying the AppGameKit framework code for free with the editor. Users can manipulate it any way they want and you could conceivably create a full game from the frameworks.

You can create as many layers as you wish (or as AppGameKit can support), I just used four for this demo video. I'll be producing more in - depth videos nearer the release data (end of October).

I'll be trying to implement tiled import, along with XML and JSON for the next release.

Thank you very much for your comments, all the best!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 15:59
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 17:47 Edited at: 24th Sep 2013 18:52
The only thing I been waiting for is agk 2 so I can put .x in mine then I will release it, and the new features agk has for 3d. I was making a game to make a export to tier 2. So I am very careful about what I do. I might have to learn tier 1 so I can export it that way also. Giving away stuff for free is bad you know, You can a least sell it for 15 dollars so you can get some money. If you don't like money that is fine, but then you will have to make games with your editor to make a profit. You know supply and demand it is a horrible thing. I think you should give it away free to the first couple of days then charge for it. A lot of people do that.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 20:14 Edited at: 24th Sep 2013 20:59
Only the AppGameKit test frameworks tier 1 code will be free.
The editor itself will not be, but it will be very reasonably priced.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:02:40
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:02:40