Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / A simple damage calculations program -- looking for input

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's the C++ coding for it.
http://pastebin.com/0xu1NrSq

The standards are as follows:
*Base Damage: 20
*Sensitivity: 4
*Stat Point: 10 (Surplus is there to be a floating point; Debuff is subtracted from Stat Point)

What I want is for people to try it out and tell me what problems they may have with the formula.
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2013 10:29 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2013 10:29
I'd prefer to keep things such as this as simple as can be and just do it all in one line if not just a few.

Something like..

Well it's a little overly simplified example but it's best not to complicate these kind of things.

Master Knight DH
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, what I was asking for was if the formula had any notable flaws or anything that could cause problems down the road. I simply provided the lines for CTRL+A followed by copypasta. The reason I use as many lines as I do is because I wanted to see how I could fit the whole thing into an assembly thing.

May I also point out that division defense by itself has a nasty flaw in that it causes high damage attacks to get suffocated? It's certainly a problem in Kid Icarus Uprising, where the Skyscraper Club's shots, which deal ~100 base damage at the cost of being so painfully slow and stuck on a heavy weapon that you still need to get close despite lousy mobility to get any decent hits in, deal more like only freaking ~33 base against somebody with Aries Armor. That's bogus. Since I'm planning to use it, I want to do something to prevent that idiocy.

Let me infodump the gist here, Code tag in case it does indeed get complicated:

Here's the aims of the formula.

So yeah, just try out the program and be sure to note any issues with the calculations being able to create bogus scenarios. Keeping in mind that natural ATK/DEF stat point range is going to be 2 to 18. I'll admit that the thing can get complicated, but at the end of the day, the damage formula is something players shouldn't worry about as a whole.
cyril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2013 21:03 Edited at: 24th Sep 2013 21:07
This only works if the total defences is 0 or above:

What this code does is that it allows defences to go as high as a possible but prevents defences becoming too powerful. 100 defence will block 1/2 the damage, 200 will block 1/3, etc. They use this technique in league of legends if I recall.
Edit: typo in formula...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:27:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:27:47