Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / [DBP] - Custom PICK OBJECT implementation (supports orthographic cameras)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2013 17:29
While pondering my cascaded shadow mapping issues as of late, I happened to realize a way that works for implementing the same functionality as provided by the built-in DBPro function pick object.
There are some advantages to this;
It supports any kind of camera projection, such as orthographic. (The built-in function does not).
It is written in pure DBPro (or well, it uses IanM's M1U, but what doesn't these days?). As such you can extend / change it to fit your requirements. One of the most important things this allows you to do is pick objects from a list instead of having to use a contiguous range of object id's (ie. 100 - 499) like with the built-in function.
Potential to be more efficient than the built-in function. Using the built-in intersect object function, as is done in the demonstration below, this runs about 20% slower than the standard pick object function. However, using a more efficient raycasting function, like can be found in most third party physics / collision dll's, you can make this run significantly faster than the standard implementation, which is obviously a big plus when picking a large amount of objects in realtime. For example, using the raycasting function from Paul Johnston's ("Sparky"'s) free collision library, this function only requires ~19.7% of the executing time of the built-in version.

The actual function:

A small, ugly demonstration program (no external media required, just copy, paste and compile):

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 05:32
Whoa, awesome work Rudolpho!

I'm looking forward to simplifying your example so that I can understand it. Good stuff!

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 06:36
Quote: "
Unlike the built-in function, this will work with orthographic (and presumably any other kind of) camera projections"

Does the integrated pick object command not work with different camera projections? I would assume it works in very much the same way as your function does, by referencing the current camera projection and view matrix.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 09:59
@Burning Feet Man: thanks, it's pretty well commented so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem

@Phaelax: you would think so, but try it - it really doesn't for whatever reason.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:06:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:06:43