Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Beat em up

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 19:28 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2013 21:12
A friend and I are developing a 2D-style Beat 'em Up called "Beat 'em Up". We've worked on the game since about October, and we've gotten fairly far (if only the animator/designer would hurry the hell up!) seeing we only began a few moths ago. The idea is creating a simple, easy, interesting and fun fighting game. With a breathtaking online multiplayer, and an awesome 2 player (maybe up to 3-4 players) offline multiplayer. There is a demo with this, though it is barely a pre-pre-pre-alpha, which means there are multiple bugs and other functions not yet available. We've included a list of things finished in the game as of now, in addition to some of the things we hope to add. Feel free to comment, criticize, help or even yell at what we've done and hope to achieve, it could be a big help. NB! The characters that we are using for now is only for test, and we will change these characters as soon as we are done with designing our own characters. For more information/pre alpha check out the link

NB; You will need two xbox-controllers to play the game!!!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/beat-em-up/news/pre-pre-pre-alpha

Here is also a list of what we have done / Ideas / work in progress

Basic character movement (walk and jump)
Xbox controllersetup
Health/healthbar
Shield
GUI design
Basic combat system (hit = damaged, and attack + attack = block)
Few specialattack and combos
Basic moving background
Fatalities; basic codesetup
A playable game
Basic 2D/3D effects
Basic 2D particle system
Basic physic system
Animation on few sprites
Main menu
Multiplayer (Coming as soon as possible)
Basic blood/gore effects
Music
Advanced combat system (hit = damaged, attack + attack = block, parry, low/high punch/kick and other attack metods)
SFX effects
Advanced character movement (walk, run, jump and climb)
Nasty blood/gore effects
Advanced physic system
Ragdoll physic
Animation on all sprites
Discusting and nasty blood/gore effects
Performance tweaks
Chinematic intro animation
Advanced particle system
Advanced 2D/3D effects
Advanced moving background
Fatalities; advanced codesetup
Performance tweaks/optimisation
Charachter customation system
Brutal, discusting and nasty blood/gore effects
Screen/image effects
FXAA (fast approximate antialasing)
SMAA (subpixel morphological antialasing)
Many specialattacks and combos
Indigogo/rockethub campain

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 23:51
I like the pixel art for the big guy. I think you should get some colorful backdrops, preferably in the same style, as your current backdrop is really throwing me off. That's just off the images though, I haven't played your demo as of yet.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/max-vs-mars
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 07:36
Thanks for your comment
We had a plan to make the game in a pixelart style, and all the images and sprites you are seen is just a test, and would not be in the next demo that we will realise next time. but the problem is that it is a bit difficult for us without a proffesional designer to create very goodlooking pixelart characters. If you know about anyone who could help us to create pixelart backgrounds it would be nice

Thanks again
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 10:55
Thing is, how are you gonna mix pixel art with ragdolls?

Seems that you need to decide on that first, because it governs how you can or will animate your characters.

I mean, it might be quite straightforward finding a pixel artist for backdrops, slightly more tricky finding one that can do good fighting characters for free. There's a lot of animation, and that's what takes all the time.

If you go for ragdolls, you could draw individual body parts and join them together, like a skeleton, then animate that... tricky stuff - but at least then you'd have smooth animation that takes far less memory, and will lend itself to ragdolls - like a character running forward with skeletal animation, then suddenly change to ragdolls and set the velocities of the limbs. That would give a really slick system, but really you need something like Spine, but with full control in the language your using. You might have to come up with your own animation system... but that's worth considering I think, then the world is your lobster.

I am the one who knocks...
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 15:59 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2013 19:51
Thanks for your reply Van B

Since I am a beginner in DarkBasic Pro I need more experience to code difficult things like ragdolls. In the beginning of this project, we had an Idea about to implement ragdolls into the game, but this became afterwards a bit difficult. Therefore we decided to make spritesheets animations on every single movement instead. If you could give me a simple explanation/codeexample of how I could use your ragdoll idea. Because making every movement with animations will take a very long time

Quote: "I mean, it might be quite straightforward finding a pixel artist for backdrops, slightly more tricky finding one that can do good fighting characters for free. There's a lot of animation, and that's what takes all the time."

Yeah I think it will be too difficult to find a pixelartist that could make nice pixelart free for us, therfore I think I will try to make it self

Thanks again for fast reply
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 20:36
Take a look at Scribblenauts for an example of that sort of animation. I've only done it in 3D so I'm afraid I won't be able to explain it myself, assuming I understand what Van B is saying.

Here's an example of what I'm using in my current project, it may be easier to see what's going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m620aoKUuKQ

http://www.indiedb.com/games/max-vs-mars
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 22:36 Edited at: 4th Dec 2013 13:36
Thanks wattywatts

Quote: "Here's an example of what I'm using in my current project, it may be easier to see what's going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m620aoKUuKQ"

I like the guy you have made, nice design

Before the next test release we will create a new background (with more colors, and a bit more exciting than the other background we are using now), we will also try to make our characters a bit more pixel art style. If you want to see our characters we are working on, you could check the picture I have added to this thread

NB; the character is under developement, and is not finished yet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 04:29 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 04:31
Sorry if i'm wrong, but isnt the big guy from Metal Slug?

e/ yeah he is: http://www.google.de/search?q=metal%20slug%20allen
WAKS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2014 05:23 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2014 05:24
Quote: "Sorry if i'm wrong, but isnt the big guy from Metal Slug?"

Yeah, that's right

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:35:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:35:02