Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / group objects into one

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 08:40
using dbpro

Im trying to save about 200 objects as a single object that can be imported exported but tore back apart in game and altered, any thoughts about the best way to do this? im super noob when it comes to limbs anything involving vertexes and meshes, ive generally stuck to doing gui and 2d stuff.

A child's dream never dies.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 16:06 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2013 20:20
I would make a base object size zero and add your 200 objects as limbs.

Here's a small example:

Once you save this object, you can reload it and use MAKE OBJECT FROM LIMB to recreate your objects.

(Keep in mind that this method won't work for storing objects that already have their own limbs.)

D.D.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2013 01:54 Edited at: 24th Dec 2013 04:11
Well Derek this might just work,that is pretty much exactly what i needed gonna make a mesh out of it and run compile csg and try to drop the poly count. thanks a mill brosive!

got it working great, only down side is cant seem to get compile csg to work so looks like im stuck with just as many polys as when they were objects either that or start learning memblocks inside and out

Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2013 18:27 Edited at: 25th Dec 2013 18:33
I'm not really sure of your overall goal (to reduce poly count?) but I think you can do basically the same thing I did above with Memblocks. The order is something like...

To attach:
MAKE MESH FROM OBJECT
MAKE MEMBLOCK FROM MESH
ADD MEMBLOCK TO OBJECT

To retrieve:
GET MEMBLOCK FROM OBJECT
MAKE MESH FROM MEMBLOCK
MAKE OBJECT

You could also try to do a PERFORM CSG UNION but I don't know how many consecutive objects this will work on, or if it will reduce your poly count. In any case, I doubt you'll be able to restore your poly count to the original later if temporary reduction is your goal.

D.D.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2013 06:15
thanks derek ill give that a try and yes temporary is the goal, ill be saving all object data to a file and converting all my objects to a mesh when i need to access an object i can recreate it from a file without having several hundred high poly objects killing my framrate

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:32:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:32:19