Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How do you keep scale conformity?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 13:40
This has been bugging me for quite a while; how do I keep things at scale relative to eachother when working with different programs?
For example creating a model of a humanoid in Blender and then using it to walk over a piece of terrain created with the Advanced Terrain commands in DBP.
How can I make sure the model fits the scale of the landscape?
Or when using grid based levels / landscapes, how do I make sure models I import have the same scale?

Is this something you should do while modeling or doesn't it matter and you just scale in DBP ?

(Ploughing through Hands On DBP Programming)
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 21:04
Quote: "Is this something you should do while modeling or doesn't it matter and you just scale in DBP ?"

Every program has its measures , using mm or inches, but when we start modeling no matter the 3D program, we just start ,nobody really pays much attention to the measures.

I use to scale my objects in the 3D program, and load it into Dbpro, because if we scale too much our models, could be affected by the lights in Dbpro. Of course, I can scale a bit but if I need for example a house, and into Dbpro it looks like a box of 5*5*5, then I export again with a bigger size.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 22:05
Quote: "Is this something you should do while modeling or doesn't it matter and you just scale in DBP ?"

I would say it's just trial and error (grunt work) like most stuff.

Like Chafari says, just re-export it bigger from Blender if it's too small.

D.D.
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 22:55
Thanks for the replies, guys.
So it all comes down to just get down and dirty with the modelling software of your choice, makes some models, import them into your DBPro project and rescale if needed in the modelling software.
You'll get a feeling over time for what works and what does not, regarding scale?

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 23:12
Quote: "You'll get a feeling over time for what works and what does not, regarding scale?"

If you need to adjust the scaling a bit, you can do it into Dbopro. If what you need is scale object 2000,2000,2000 then you had better to scale into 3D program and load it again. You can make a test as Derek Darkly commented..."just trial and error".

Make this easy test: Load any object into Dbpro, scale it 2000,2000,2000 and test it brightness, then got to you favorite program and scale from there and load it again into Dbpro and compare. The same occur if we scale to fit a huge objecft into Dbpro to be just 5*5*5...it will be so bright, that only something white appears on screen.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 09:00
Thank you for the feedback!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:28:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:28:55