Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / iOS application suddenly not filling screen T1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 03:42
OK so... We're published on iTunes and I've been through the build process a good 50 times or so in xcode. We're prepping for the first major update to our app and suddenly it is not filling the screen on the simulators for iOS7.
The info.plist is set for both portrait modes. I even moved SetOrientationAllowed(1,1,0,0) and SetDisplayAspect(-1) to the first two lines of our code.
The thing we've changed with the display is we are no longer using the xcode splash images, but are instead using agk code to show an image.

Does anyone out there know what the issue could be? I read a post from about a year ago that there were troubles with the simulators, but they've been fine for me until now. This is really weird and annoying We had everything working so well.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 03:59
Ok... well that wasn't too hard... interestingly enough the issue was caused by removing ALL of the launch images.
I used xcode to "fix" the issue with the missing retina launch image (default-568@2x.png) which just puts in a black image. Now it seems to be just fine. Man, xcode can be frustrating.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 23:43
When you go to publish with Apple, they will complain if you do not have the Default images for all resolutions.

Are they what you mean by 'xcode splash image'?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 23:46
Yup. Still having some issues after adding the splash screens back in (i.e. launch images). Sometimes they will show, sometimes they won't. It's definitely an issue with XCode. The issue with AppGameKit would be that if you don't assign a launch image in xcode then the display won't fill up. Pretty weird, but I guess it makes no difference because if you go to publish without the launch images assigned then the validation process will (should) complain and not let you pass. I was just trying to avoid having so many different launch images in the package. Oh well... and welcome back

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 23:52
I have found that the Xcode simulators sometimes have issues. And I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't quite recognize all the images.

If you plan to publish for all iOS devices (iPad + iPhone + iPod Touch), make sure to assign the images for both iPad and iPhone. I don't have a monitor for my Mac Mini yet (it should arrive this week), so I can't look at the Xcode interface to remember exactly where/how. But the Xcode 5 (I think, the one that works with iOS 7) has one section for both and you select the one you are setting from a drop-down box (I think). Then select the source image for each of the resolutions displayed.

I finally decided that I would check in with the forums before my big monitors showed up (I shipped two and one seems to be lost and the other hasn't arrived yet). I start work tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 23:59
Ya xcode interface makes it easy to add the images. The simulators are pretty much fine for everything except testing push (and the frame rate is awful, but that's expected). I rarely have a problem with them now that I've been through everything a few times. I tested the build by running it on my iPhone and it didn't show the splash image... it could be that xCode doesn't package up the images with a direct Run. Not sure, but I'll of course make sure it is working before updating the iOS version. I wish iOS was more like Android in these areas.

Well, I hope your other big monitor shows up soon! We packed ours in the car with us because I'm just paranoid. Good luck with your first day of work!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 04:32
Quote: "Well, I hope your other big monitor shows up soon!"

It looks like it just missed the scanning when passing through the Washington state facility. I just received a bunch of updates indicating that both monitors should arrive tomorrow. Yeah!

After you run the app on your iOS device via direct play from Xcode, it stays on the device. You should be able to run it directly on the device and see the splash screens (Default image appropriate to device and orientation).

It is similar to running from Eclipse to an Android device. Once you've done that, it is runnable without connection to another computer.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 04:44
Nice!
Yes, the app stays on the device. The launch images don't show
I did some searching on it and it seems this is a common issue with xcode 5 (I was searching "xcode splash images not showing" before - should have been searching "launch images" instead).
What I ended up doing is reverting to a backup copy and overwriting the old images with the new instead of unlinking them from the project. Seems to be OK now, but what a pain.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:59:59
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:59:59