Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Run _ Run!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 07:34 Edited at: 21st Mar 2014 00:20

What is Run Some Pixels Run! about?
Run Some Pixels Run! is a Topdown shooter with RPG and Roguelike elements.
The setting is planned, as i would call it, \"drug trip like\".
That means trippy effects, trippy weapons and items, trippy enemies and bosses, and, of course, funny dialogs.

(planned) Features:
- procedurally generated maps (The maps are never the same)
- crafting system
-> you can combine weapons / items / ...
- RPG elements with NPC interactions
- Permadeath (you die once, you\'re dead.) (Roguelike)
- The difficulty level will be hard.

So what\'s done so far?
- inventory system
- itemsystem
- enemy & npc system
- map generation
- main game framework, so it\'s easy to add new things
- player actions (items use, drop, craft, attack, death, ...)
- enemy actions (attack, death)
- some gore effect decals
- craftingsystem with recipes

Be sure to:
- follow me on twitter (@JasonMcLovinN)
- check out my livestream & follow ( http://twitch.tv/ucrygames )

Latest Media:
(Please note that all graphic assets (Models, Animations, Textures, and so on) are just placeholders and not final.)

Video @ 3/11/2014

previous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7rYTzVb_bU
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 08:11
Looks like fun; I quite like the structure and mechanics of the level.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 11:43
Sorry Gunslinger but we don't allow asterisked words in posts so we can't allow it in a thread title or game name. Pandemonium will break loose in a matter of days with cries of unfair treatment.

You can give it a different name for the sake of posting progress here and publish it elsewhere with it's real name, I can give you a couple of days to change the graphic in your first post

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem, done.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 16:11
Looking forward to see your progress on this and I liked that glitched npc at the 5min mark.

IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 02:22 Edited at: 11th Mar 2014 05:16
haha ye, i laughed too.

Latest Update: Trippin Balls
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 16:42 Edited at: 12th Mar 2014 16:45
Made the deathscreen today, which can read the players mind

"Cleaned" version for this forum.
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Equipable items

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone rembers this helmet?

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Rewrote the inventory stuff today, added quicklist and item description on mouse over, and a temp hp / armor hud bar

No comments? Anyone? :/
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 23:48
Lookin' sweet!

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 11:31
I realize it might be early to ask, and that you mentioned all of your media are currently placeholders. But what are your plans for the graphical side - it got me thinking after I saw your hp/armor hud.

These bars play nicely along with each other (not too bright, not too dark, same color family) but next to the rest of your game graphics they look out of place. Maybe you could (or actually planned to) de-saturate your game color scheme so that special factors (e.g. blood and gore) really contrast the game and supply player with a semi shock factor.

Then again, I see that you have changed the blood into various colors now, so it looks like you are aiming for a very colorful game. If that is the case, I look forward to see how you balance it.

It reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami (never played it, just saw some videos) and while that is a colorful game, it still keeps to a set scheme where blood and gore really stand out because of it.

Nevertheless, keep up the good work!

IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,
thanks for your feedback.
Yes you are correct, everything is a placeholder, colors too.

My plans for the graphic style is colorful, but you're right, at the moment its way to saturated.
I'm going to work on that as soon as the main code is finished, which will be soon i hope.
Maybe it's because if i have absolutly no lights in it, and ambient light deactivated.

I hope that i can create some kind of "Magic Forest", with colorful / glowing mushrooms, flowers and stuff, something like this:

Which will transform into darker levels at the mid / end game (represents a bad drug trip).

As i've said, the next step will be item actions / handling and finishing the game-level-loading stuff(*).

(*)Level loading, cleaning up, back to menu is already working, but i've meant continue to next level, start game out of the menu, load game, save game, etc.
Shouldn't be much work, because my game will start in a "main room" with access to all levels, where you're heading back after finishing a level, and decide which level you play next.
That means you're free to play the last levels as first, but you will (probably) die if you play a level to soon.
With permadeath in the game, that wouldnt be a good idea

Something to the main room:
The game will start in the "main room", which is a dark "ginnel", where you're going to meet a hobo.
You talk to the hobo, hobo gives you some kind of drug, and the main room transforms into a forest. The Hobo, which will be your main guide NPC through the game, will transform too, into Mr. Kazui as seen in the main post.
Out of the main room, you can now step into the level you want to (re)play.
Until you think you can handle the next level. If you can't handle the next level, like said above, it's going to be a baaad day.

Well, so much to my concept of the story / game / level design.
After my exams, i hope i can gather enough money to work fulltime on it.

Oh and by the way, yes, i loved hotline miami!
Hotline Miami and Teleglitch were my first inspiration to make a game like that, but i had some ideas which will make the game alot different. (Just like the items, inventory. That idea came a lot later.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:05:20
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:05:20