Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Tunnels 10 (wip)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 15:51 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 15:52
This was the sewer tunnels set I did many many moons back, decided to redo it.

This is so far the concept idea, the claustrophobic tunnels sections with nice open areas, different sized tunnels.A pretty ambitious project this time, also a friendly warning, assembly is not for the novice tunnels user.

I decided I want to push more, symmetrical designs are taboo, deep mesh layering, to apply as much detail as possible, no compromises.

Some concept ideas

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 12:37
Some play around, rounded sewer tunnels, doesn't work well with collision, so had to skip that design, trying some thing else.

Will see how it goes, collision is a bit of a problem, if nothing tickles my fancy, might drop the project for the time being, and do some thing else.

But in the mean time, still going to add stuff to see if I can't get some thing more to my liking so far, visually it isn't doing it for me.Will keep at it maybe some thing comes up :p

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 15:48
wizard of id
Yes, the sewer tunnel set. Still have and use them.
Would use something like this with Tunnels-9.

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 17:58
Slight redesign.Managed to make it fatter, roof section shorter and fit in a top section of a smaller tunnel, running along, the main.

Now I can add small tunnels to join up the large sections.Thought I will keep the above tunnels, it just wasn't ideal.

Lol perhaps you guys would have liked to see the finished product,well I like to show step by step progress, as how I go along, designing a tunnels set.

I wished I managed to get a visually good tunnel set the first time around, but often you need to make several versions to work with, to get a feeling and scale, before settling on some thing best suited.

I am rather sad that the first tunnels set failed, due to collision issues, thought collision isn't terribly bad, but for a paid for project, it is simply not good enough even the slightest collision issue means a problem for the players.

That is all for now
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 09:37
Imported, still missing some thing can't quite put my finger on it, the textures are still place holders.But over all pretty happy with the larger extended tunnel.Sewer in general have a very minimalistic shapes, getting it to look great, is going to take some effort.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 13:39
Not sure which one I like best, I think the lighter colour will work here better than the dark one, but will see once I start adding detail might mix and match...might have to apply several textures to get the effect just right.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 09:56
Progress coming on nicely.Quite Like the little step at the bottom that came out pretty good, the slanted wall on the side also provides some realism,Thought pretty hard to get away from the symmetrical design, it could have been worse, with plain flat walls.

I have to address the roof, too much brick, perhaps some trim, will fix that.Added a metal strut, to get some idea for metal usage.Rust and more rust :p

Updates in a few hours again

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 13:58
these look really good. you do some amazing work.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 18:19
wizard of id
Yes, the slanted walls look a lot better
As for the ceiling textures I tend to lean more toward the older
cracked brick look (last two pics). These would look great
either filled with sewer/water or dry.

On a side note, your piping always looks so good in these.
Are they from a pack or your own custom ones?

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 18:47 Edited at: 12th Mar 2014 19:09
lol mix of my own and M3, but mostly M3, made some for this pack.

What happens when you have a slanted area in FPSC, Mr collision comes around with it's manhood, and marks every thing else, except the stuff you needed working.

Will have to slice the wall in smaller pieces, but want to check if I can't visually block the area first

Speaking of water

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 21:52
First attempt at a more detailed pipe, not too bad I guess

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 23:01
Ah yes, looks sweet with the water added.
Working in the utility field myself, your mechanical flanges on
the piping is near perfect Terrific work Wizard of id.

Side note: a lot of underground systems when power for lighting is not available they use openings to the surface to allow light in.
Such as vents/venting, grating, storm drains...ect.

Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 00:53
Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 04:30
@wizard of id

Very nice. I like this very much. Are they made with segments? Will they be for sale?

------------------------------------------------------------
i5 2.8 GHz 64bit / 4G ram / W7 home sp1 / geforce gts 250
FPSC 120 Beta 3
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 05:41
@snake with segments 22 so far And yes will be for sale, but that is still another few weeks away.

@ncmako
Yip that is the idea

@rest thanks for the feedback
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 08:48
Last update till the weekend.

Playing around with pipes :p Going to pipe texture hunting now to add some variance.

Now that the main section, is more or less like I a want it, it is now time to all the sections that breaks up the main tunnels with smaller entry points, ect. Which is going to be fun :p

Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
This is definitively another pack that we will buy for our project.

If we could make a pair of suggestions, some method to enter the sewers from the street level would be appreciated: a spiral staircase or ramp, a straight staircase or ramp, or a ladder shaft; and some type of large room for boss encounters, such as a pumping room, water treatment room or other type of control or filtering room.
Snake675
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 11:17
Oh yes please, i absolutely agree with you, Namnlosen...

------------------------------------------------------------
i5 2.8 GHz 64bit / 4G ram / W7 home sp1 / geforce gts 250
FPSC 120 Beta 3
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 11:57
@Namnlosen

It is some thing I can look at, unfortunately FPSC map area is a bit small to contain very large area's.I do however know you like to use media outside of FPSC, I can accommodate you in this regard, and model to your specifications and reference, thought it will then be exclusive to you only.

But I will see what I can do once I have the main section, raised section and corners and tjunctions up and running.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 18:47
Weekend update.Designed the raised section, got a little interesting thing going on with the rounded roof around the stairs, effect is nice planning on extending it to the main sections as well which means main section can be divided into 3 sections.

The roof section will have a mixture of fence and corrugated metal sheets to set the mood, is sounds good and looks nice in the editor I have yet to get into FPSC and see if it works

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 21:35
Impressive!

Model pack 66-99 high quality items...cheap!!
"Who loves ya baby!"
Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 22:48 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 22:57
Impressive is right!

I hope all have a Great day!
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 07:07
all done and imported !Just have to extend the pipe sections as well to the raised section.I haven't done the stairs yet, still making a plan there, but soon enough.

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Wizard

Looking good... like always.

Regards

Eugene
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 16:33
well managed to get the stairs in, only issue is AI collision, just be aware, player collision works perfectly, it's 100 x 100 x 25 units, there is no reason why the collision shouldn't work, will check up with lee when he gets back.

If stairs need a specific file name for collision.But other than that, you could always just use the ramp, if you need AI collision.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 19:58
There in lies the problem, it looks good in the editor doesn't always work in the game, edited it a bit, isn't fully extended.

Considering trying plastic tubing, as the fence isn't doing it for me either, the idea is there just have to find the right look.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 19:00
Spend most of the day rather frustrated, so much never got around to the pipes, the raised section side tunnels don't work with the original, or the slightly modified one.

Game up with a new game plan, I am happy with the result also wanted to test out the dark brick versus concrete contrast works pretty darn well, will be moving over to the dark brick textures.

It does need some fine tuning, the main square support pillar looks a bit odd with all the curves, might keep it just like that, will see, the mixture of a couple of textures instead of the boring room segments one fits all is a welcome change. 1 and 1/2 days wasted sadly

Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 19:09
the new game plan looks like its working out. I like them. Also 1 1/2 days is how we all learn the what to do's and not to do's. We all have them. Like this weekend. I spent the entire weekend recovering a Raid0 setup for a customer and well. could not get anything out of it. The Platter is warped. Nothing you really can do to fix it. But now I have a lot of know how on the subject. Even though I told him it wasn't looking good to start off with.

But these new tunnels look very nice. Good work! as always..

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 21:11
Well visually there is still some thing missing, don't know what yet, but I will get there.

any ways changed out the textures, moved the pipes in between the walls, removed the roof pipes and some uvmap fine tuning.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 11:01
So started this morning on a new segment, rounded hole in the ground, with rounded rail around it, also working on a combination surface ground hole.Will probably spend the next couple of days on this one section :p The pump room is 300 x 300, this is as large as I am willing to go, with the area.

This the first version, will most likely be some changes to the first design.I have already have floor collision sorted out,it will however mean, that you will have to place it as a prefab, much like I did with those cave packs.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 20:03
So the test is very positive, one problem it's a bit big, no space on the sides for the player to move, kinda forgot about the floor trim. :p

over all, good looking, Just needs to be re-sized

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2014 15:20
Smaller also solved the floor problem to using just 2 floor segments, with 100% collision. Which means it was a good day at the office and can move onto a square one which will be pretty straight forward.Then it's onto the pipes for the two new segments, then the roof, access.

Corners, and small tunnels.

I don't know about you guys, I consider this tunnels set leaps abounds better than the original sewer set, I am not even embarrassed, that it was so basic. It just show how far I have gotten with the modeling. :p

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2014 08:27
The rails on the top section looked a bit boring so made some thing nice for that, also the segment has been finished off with a nice grate around it.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2014 20:50
last update for a few days

Did the surface access.Need to reduce the quality a fair bit on the wall ladder,but the effect is nice and adds depth even thought it's fake

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 10:06
WOW! Just wow. This tunnel set is easily making tracks to becoming your best set ever!

After release of this, I can envision a plethora of sewer games.

Great work WOI.

Cheers

Jay.

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 17:26
As unfamillia said "WOW! Just wow"
Last pic of sewer entrance is sweet. Very nice work.
You've outdone yourself with this one
Cant wait...

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 19:27 Edited at: 21st Mar 2014 19:30
thanks for the kind comments

Here is a little WIP video.

Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
This is looking most promising.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 07:53
Brilliant. You have done it again.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 09:59 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2014 10:01
You will have 3 different levels to transverse.Top mid and bottom section of the sewer.Difficult to explain, just have to figure out how to link bottom and mid now.:p

It will be ideal to have the bottom or with water or mid and bottom.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 18:20
Very nice work!

-Keith

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 17:05
Looking very, very good so far Wizard.
Have been working on some new creatures just for this
pack. Hope to fit them in somehow...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 17:58
@ncmako

cool nice one

Any ways after some playing around I managed to link the bottom and mid.The top wall finishes it off nicely and the gaps on the sides still doesn't pose a collision problem

ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 18:51
wizard of id
One quick question if I may. What's your thoughts if I made some custom "CSG cutouts" for these segments to fit into my work.
Such as "side passages" or "dead ends". Do you think it might work?
thanks

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 19:26
Unfortunately CSG works only on room segments, and when directly applied to segments from within the Segments creator.

However I use custom segments, a single segments has as many as 26 different meshes, once you start working with so many meshes and more detail, you have to optimize meshes which means removing all faces not needed.

Which is why some meshes only have a single face and able to put twice as much in a scene you would be able to normally.Currently I am on 117 000 polygons for this scene, which is pretty good considering all the curves in the scene and pipes.

So you would have gaps if you try to CSG those faces, plus if you try and do that, I can nearly guarantee that FPSC segment creator will crash, the segment editor doesn't handle single face meshes very well, and will crash the moment you import and try and move those faces.

I have a very specific method to deal with segment editor crashing, which is why, when you try and edit my segment via the editor, it will 99% of the time crash when you select a mesh to change some thing.

My segments include, by default corners, T- and cross junctions and where applicable deadends, so very rarely there is a need to add your own.Plus you need to get your head around the segments.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2014 20:39
A few updates.

Shorten the mid and bottom section to 50 units
Added a support wall to the stairs leading to the bottom section
Added Bottom cross and tjuctions

Cleaned up uvmaps and better aligned some meshes.

That is it for now

Namnlosen
Years of Service
User Offline
If i may point out something: the texture on the stairs in the final image looks very regular even though the texture is showing irregular dirt and damage.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2014 07:26
no problem Yeah it caught my eye, has been fixed since the screenshot.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 17:17
decided it needs more, so currently testing out some ideas, The idea is there just needs to be implemented differently

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 10:11
Been sampling some ideas, decided the flat walls aren't doing it for me, in the process of adding some detail to the walls and changing out textures.

The pillars still aren't doing it for me, but the wall vastly improves the scene, the pillar adds also some thing, definitely in the right direction.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:46:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:46:28