Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Best Method for Loading 3D Models and Animations?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 14:58
So I've had this question on my mind for a while when it came to adding 3D models with animations into a DBPro project. While going through the some of the models in DarkMATTER1, I noticed that each animation for a 3d model was a seperate .x file (For example: \H-SWAT-Attack.x contained an attack animation, \H-SWAT-Idle.x contained and idle animation, etc.). Now what brings me to the question is that I've heard DBPro can let you load a model with multiple animations, and with a few lines of code, keyframe the model to load the desired animation when necessary. So what my question is, is which method would be more efficient in the long run, and depending on which the answer is, is there any tutorials or guides that demonstrate how to go through with applying this method in DBPro?

I do apologize if my question seems lack luster or disjointed, I'm relatively new to using DBPro, so I'm still going through learning the in's & out's of this engine.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 15:03
The recognised method is to have one model file with multiple animations.

Each animation is a number of frames, so 1-20 may be WALK, and 21-30 may be IDLE. You animate your model by setting the current frame range and looping it around.

If you were to play the full animation sequence, it would look insane as it jumped from one sequence to the next.

PsychoMuffin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 15:24
That's what I was figuring.

And with regards to the animation, does the length of the animation, as well as the software used create the animation, have any sort of effect on implementing it in DBPro. As of now, I'm using both 3dCrafter Special Ed, as well as Fragmosoft to create, animate, and export models, so I'm wondering if using one program vs. other may have any possible changes, for better or for worse.
Derek Darkly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 21:53
Quote: "so I'm wondering if using one program vs. other may have any possible changes, for better or for worse"

Well, since an animation is just a bunch of still poses put together I wouldn't expect any problems so long as the final format is correct.

You can use your own timer-based method for meticulously controlling the animation speeds.

666GO†O666

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:22:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:22:58