Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why doesn't DB Free not run on Win 7 64 bit?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 15:39
Well, just like the title says.

I did a long search, both on this forum and through Google. Nothing seems to resolve this, so I'm wondering if there is any solution to this or that 64 bit users are just gonna have to suck it.

Every time I try to run it, the program just doesn't do anything. When I press control alt delete, I see that the EditorNew (or something) runs in the background.

Why isn't there more information about this? Why doesn't TGC say anything regarding this issue, which in my Googling experience, is widespread?
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 20:39
I have had no problems running pro on windows 7 and 8.1 make sure to run as admin right click run and administrator or shut uac off in user account options

.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 10:51
It's always worked for me on 64-bit, but I don't use the default editor. Maybe try another editor.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 18:34 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 17:10
Quote: "I did a long search"

Oh Really?

EDIT

I should probably mention I am on Win 8.1 Pro x64 now, and continue to NOT have any issues

EDIT

Not sure if that old post mentions installing outside of Program Folders, that should be your first line of effect...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 03:09
I'm using the free version on Win7-64 and it works. The default IDE will run, but it's a little quirky so I use CodeSurge.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 16:28
I have no problems running DBP on classic editor or Synergy (default). I have it installed in "/program files (x86)/" on my Win7 HP 64bit machine. What causes the bug: UAC (User Access Controls).
This was implemented by Microsoft to try to give Windows more security (Like *nix systems). Didn't work because older programs depend on not needing permissions that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Now what you could do is this:

or (easier)

or, as mentioned before, install DBP to a folder within %userprofile% (you can use subst to mount the folder as a drive) or install on a separate drive and partition. Note: this method may not be bug-free.

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2014 19:18
Just an update. I got a torrent version of DB from a torrent site, which had an updater that fixed the issue. It's kinda strange to see that a torrented version runs better than the download from the official site, but DB runs well now, so hush my mouth I suppose.

Before you call me a dirty pirate, the program is free and I usually never use pirate sites. In fact, I wouldn't mind putting down money for DB that I'm running now.
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2014 19:22
Another question I would like to raise is the following: I loaded a simple .x model into DarkBasic. It looked fine, but I noticed that the model was positioned at an angle facing towards the camera (I programmed a simple first person camera). Is this normal?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 10:50
The model is oriented correctly. I think what is confusing you is the default orientation of the camera.

Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 17:20
Thanks for your reply BatVink! I'm still not sure how to fix this though. Should I change the default orientation of the camera, or change the orientation of the model? Does it make any difference? I'm trying to prevent problems early.
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 17:23
Here's the code that I'm using, so you can see what I did:

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 23:40
First a joke, then some help.
Quote: "Before you call me a dirty pirate, the program is free and I usually never use pirate sites."

I'm sorry to side-track, but...
"I usually never"? If you "never", you don't. ever do it, therefore you can't "usually" because that implies you sometimes do
Sorry, I'm just joking of course. Please don't tear into me, I've been studying English a lot of late so I'm noticing stuff like that.

Back on topic: As BatVink says, the default orientation is likely the cause. You have to use something like "AutoCam Off" or "Set AutoCam Off" (can't recall the exacr command) and then manually specify the xyz position and rotation of the camera and model to get the expected behaviour.

Oh, by-the-way, you're a dirty pirate! Kidding again.

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 00:00
You're right nonZero, my grammar was off there. English is not my first language (I'm Dutch), so that's going to be my excuse. For the record I've only ever used torrents before when it was the only way for me to obtain something.

Thanks for your reply. I've never seen the 'autocam' command in any of the tutorials, so I will have to do some research on that.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 10:59
No prob and, for the record, your English is much better than most native English-speakers I know. Also, don't worry about torrents. It's not illegal just because it's a torrent. P2P was designed as a more efficient protocol that lightens the load on a server, especially for downloads. It also lets you resume a download and is generally more reliable (when people care to seed back). When I download free software (I mean FOSS) I always choose torrent over direct. But even if you cracked an older DBP version, it wouldn't matter now because it's free for noncommercial, personal use.

Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 13:51
Thanks.

I hope people don't mind me using this topic for a few other DB related questions.

I'm trying to make a simple first person shooter game, and I created and textured a simple inverted room-model in Wings 3D. I got the model to load (and rotate properly), but when I try to spawn a sphere object (which I want to use for the player's collision detection) the room it spawned in starts to slant.

There also seems to be some sort of default lighting inside my room model. Is there a way for me to turn this off, because it doesn't look very good and I want to start adding my own light entities at some point.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th May 2014 14:57
HIDE LIGHT 0

Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 21:14
That fixed the light, thanks MrValentine!
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 22:20
I have another question.

I have a player object (cube) that I move with WASD on the Y and Z axis. However, I would like the player be able to rotate the ship (think like in StarFox, for example). I programmed the cube to rotate along the X axis when the mouse moves. However, this presents another issue: namely, when I rotate my cube, I can move it along the Z axis, which is not what I want.

What would be the best way to approach this?
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 00:15
Quote: "I have a player object (cube) that I move with WASD on the Y and Z axis...when I rotate my cube, I can move it along the Z axis, which is not what I want."

Not sure what you mean. What axes do you want move-able and rotate-able?

Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 00:55
Like I said, I want to have a set up similar to StarFox. You can move around the screen on the X and Y axes, but rotate on the Z axis to fire at enemies.

I already achieved the moving around the X and Y axis part, but when I implemented the player rotation, it allows the player to move into the Z axis which is not what I want. I want the player position on the Z axis to be fixed, while still being able to rotate.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 07:03 Edited at: 21st May 2014 07:03
You read this.

FPS-Game:
Monster Hunt 3D Tutorials
http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2030&page=3d_tutorial_index

windowsXp
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 13:25 Edited at: 21st May 2014 13:30
Quote: "Like I said, I want to have a set up similar to StarFox. You can move around the screen on the X and Y axes, butrotate on the Z axis to fire at enemies."

Ah, got confused as you said moved on the Y and Z axis initially but now I get it -- I hope.
Anyway, all you need it to:
* Get player Ypos, get player Xpos??
* Add or subtract according to keystate()
* Use POSITION OBJECT() rather than move, etc to place them on the new location (derived from previous steps). One line of code:
POSITION OBJECT myObj, OBJECT POSITION X(myObj) + (KEYSTATE(dkey) - KEYSTATE(akey)), OBJECT POSITION Y(myObj) + (KEYSTATE(skey) - KEYSTATE(wkey)), OBJECT POSITION Z(myObj)
// You can replace the last arg if Zpos is a constant
* Rotation can be done completely separate of movement on ANY axis now.

Edit: Didn't see the last page, it seems pcRaider linked you a tutorial.
Also, just check my code for typos, I types it on a phone, lol.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
There are the following methods if you want an air-plane.
- A free flight command
- EZrotate Basic (Free version)
- Limb command

windowsXp
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 00:42
Thanks for your reply, I'm going to take a look at that example.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've been looking over my code, and I decided to go over it and structure it a bit better. My boyfriend, who is a C++ programmer, advised me to use functions, so I put all of my stuff (such as player controls and all that) inside of functions so that my code will look less messy.

Then I also found out that apparently DarkBasic is procedural (that is the correct word I think? English is not my first language), and so I had to put my game loop at the top of the code and my functions at the bottom.
Morkulv
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 18:04
Also, I thought about the mouse rotating the player, and actually that's not really what I want. The player should be rotated towards the mouse. This way it makes the gameplay a lot more logical and smoother.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:25:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:25:56