Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Script Text Help Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi There,
I am having a problem with a text script and I am wondering if anyone can help me out.
The script is inspired by The Story Teller.
When player is within zone, it uses plrdisable, followed by fpgcrawtextsize=24, along with font, etc.
fpgcrawtext works fine.
The problem is that the standard "setuplevel.fpi" uses commands for the main game and game menu that give buttons for load, save, etc. that change the text size in the script.
For instance, if I want to print a message to the screen, I can use a timer and make the player stay still, and everything is fine.
But, if I press escape, to choose to load or save a game, the text shrinks.
If I start a new game, it draws the text correctly again.
If I save and reload a game, the text returns to normal.
Is there something that I can place in the text script to guarantee that the text will stay the same size?
Or, is there something I can place in the setuplevel script?

Thanks so much.
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 20:09
cds1234
Yes, I see what you mean. I looked through the setuplevel.fpi
and can't find any reference to a "fontsize"?
My only suggestion would be to use hud images for the text.
best

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 13:33 Edited at: 2nd May 2014 13:33
You might have to add FPGCRAWTEXTSIZE=X into the setup and in your game and keep it all the consistent size.

(Teabone)
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone-
I actually tried just that- I re-wrote the entire setup and titlepage, loadpages, etc. I think the size is probably internally coded to 18 arial and originally the plan was just allowing hud text. The FPGCrawtext works as long as you don't hit the button routines- at which point a reload will resize- but if the players doesn't know that- the entire level can remain with the wrong text size- doesn't seem to be a way around it, so redone all text in hud graphics. Adds 3 minutes more work to each line of text but looks better in the end anyway- and no concern for user compatibility etc.
Now... on to fixing Window 8 keyboard freeze issue!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 14:50:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 14:50:21