Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows 8 future

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 21:43 Edited at: 16th May 2014 21:45
While these types of guys are working for Microsoft I am sure the future of this company is dark.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/APP-409T
He cares so much for the users, but he doesn't allow them have total control over their machines.
Could someone please tell me
why I cannot decide when an application will terminate
why my system needs to reach low resources in order to free up some resources
I could type too many 'whys' but I cannot find obvious/logical explanations for the first two
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 23:07
Because you are not the average PC user. All of the things you want to do are available in Windows 8, they just don't expose them to Fred Bloggs who buys a windows 8 tablet and doesn't want to/know how to do anything more technical.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 23:37
And that's the sad ecosystem that MS has had a large hand in building: user-centricity.
Can't knock them, all is fair in love and war AND business. If you want freedom (control, customize and redistribute), reliability and a consistent user interface (the CLI), I suggest:; looking towards a Linux or BSD system. I use multiple OSes now but by the time Win7's support ends, I'll probably not be using Windows any more, however, if I am, I'll think of it like ripping off a band-aid.

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 23:48 Edited at: 16th May 2014 23:49
Too clever = stupid!

On XP I copy a folder to another drive, and leave the room for a bit so that it will be done when I get back. I come back... "Do you wish to copy the System file Thumbnails?"

You click yes, and then you end up waiting again.

Why did it ask me that? It's trying to be too clever, and that's stupid.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 00:54
I think what MS are trying to do is to satisfy your average user, but leaving features in for the power user too, but have struggled to create a working relationship between the two. People are screaming the apocalypse at Windows 8, but as usual, folks over react. Yeah, it ain't what everybody wants, but I think continuously having the *same* approach allows for things to be stagnant, that said, it doesn't mean all risks will play out to an advantage.

Really, working in customer services you find how non-technically minded many people are and many of whom would consider themselves techno-phobes. Heck, even with Smart TV's, LG are marketing a new range of Smart TV's and some of their Smart Phones as "making things simple again", WebOS is designed in such away that it is simple, but really...I would argue that Smart TV's in general are very simple and I've barely touched one.

At work, I have to find a means of making things I think are simple even simpler. It makes me feel like a minority, but it's not obvious to most folk, heck, my mum gets confused by her iPad sometimes and I facepalm it, but it's simply the things people don't invest the time in to learn or simply don't have the means to grasp the concepts of or in some cases, are willfully ignorant of. We share our devices with these people and companies want to not just make them accessible to us, but also them. Perhaps you could argue they *should* invest the time, but then, they may invest that time in other areas of their lives - perhaps things that people such as ourselves are pretty ignorant of. Computers are very integral to the modern life and have been increasingly doing so for the last couple of decades, so it's not stupid to try and make them more accessible.

I am not concerned about the future of Microsoft or their operating systems. In fact, I am more hopeful, why? I used to be a strong MS hater back in the 98 and early XP days, now I would find it hard to give up. For me, I'm able to do exactly what I want, I know how I can do it, I can do the technical stuff I want and I find it incredibly stable and fluid by comparison to previous Windows experiences. For me that's the important point: stability and fluidity (Vista was bloated, but Windows 7 is extremely responsive, even by comparison to XP). I am of the opinion Windows 7 and 8 are good steps in the right direction, though the latter could have been executed much better, but that's what Windows 9 is for. Of course, people don't necessarily favour change, particularly in how an operating system works or how to use the interface, but I feel one of the characteristics of being an IT nerd is the ability to understand principles of an operating systems and being able to adapt efficiently. Things change at fast pace as technologies improve. Yes, not all of them are favourable, but the fact I see so many IT geeks profess how difficult it is to work with Windows 8 makes me laugh, because I found it REALLY easy to get into. Would I say it's worth paying for the upgrade? No, I paid £25 for it on release, so I have no complaints, it was an amount worth punting for. Now that it's full price I would say to anybody currently running Windows 7, even those who like how Win 8 works that unless they're looking to develop for Windows Apps, then it's not worth it. For those getting a PC with Windows 8 on it, I would say, it's worth trying it with an open mind and if Windows 7 is still preferred to down grade if they're willing to pay for the software.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 09:03 Edited at: 17th May 2014 09:04
I am a fan of Microsoft. I really love to work with Word, Excell and Access. I enjoy programming using the Visual C++ 2010 Express (the debuger is excellent). I have installed on my PC the Win 7 Pro and I don't know what the word 'crash' means.

But:
I don't beleive that you have to be an advanced user in order to learn how to close a window. Most of Windows users are average users and they are not complaining.
The main logic of graphical UIs is: "Everything should be visible on the desktop". On the other hand Windows 8 tries to change this. Metro applications run in full screen mode like the old applications of MS-DOS.

I am afraid that Microsfoft will try to make the next Operating Systems capable run in cloud in a few years from now. The user (no matter his experience level) will lost the control of his machine. Will pay only for hardware that will be useless without the cloud
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 10:54
Quote: "I am afraid that Microsfoft will try to make the next Operating Systems capable run in cloud in a few years from now. The user (no matter his experience level) will lost the control of his machine. Will pay only for hardware that will be useless without the cloud"

And chances are that a large number of users - particularly the massive number of businesses that use Windows will continue to legacy versions of Windows and force Microsoft into continue their support for them. If they were to make a Cloud OS their primary OS, it would be like committing seppuku.

It would be considered a very unsmart move for a number of reasons and I think it would be unlikely they would go down this route, at least, with their primary OS. We have seen where MS's decisions that users do *not* like that they have adapted - like how Windows 8 is seeing the return of the original start button for example and all those restrictive features on XBox One that caused so much controversy? They were gone by release. Remember, Windows 8 isn't doing brilliantly in terms of user opinions and sales, so rather that trying to force people, MS are actually using feedback to improve the OS - chances are the one people will get along with is Windows 9, we saw a similar phenomenon with Vista and 7. Vista was essentially the concept that failed and 7 was the improvement people wanted.

The kind of OS you're talking about is already out there, ChromeOS, I've had it set up on my PC before and it only fills a niche. MS *may* attempt to appeal the same market, just as they have with the Smart Phone market, but I think they would find it difficult to compete with Google, as they already are with their Smart Phones, so I wouldn't see such an OS taking over as MS's flagship, at least, so long as we don't all support it. There will be users that like it and that will use it, but I don't think it'll be a large number. Windows laptops are still a lot more popular than Chromebooks and now that there's also all-in-one desktops running ChromeOS natively.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 12:48
MS provide the OS that 'people' need - unfortunately those 'people' are idiots. Seriously there's about 5 people out of 100 at my work who I would trust to install an application without ballsing it up.

They don't really make OS's for people like us - they haven't since Windows2000

I am the one who knocks...
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 02:44
Quote: "now but by the time Win7's support ends, I'll probably not be using Windows any more,"

Same here! I migrate to a linux OS once I no longer play the occasional game which will most likely be once win 7 will lose its support (unless it lives as long as XP, which I doubt concidering how microsoft handles its products more recently)

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:17:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:17:21