Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / how do I delete rogue entries from the Windows StartUp list

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 17th May 2014 13:38 Edited at: 17th May 2014 13:39
Last night I carelessly got my laptop infected with some annoying thing that planted itself in my Windows Startup list. Here's a screenshot from msconfig showing the offending item at the bottom of the list.

I've managed to disable it and remove the associated files, but can't seem able to remove the entry itself from the startup list. I've tried removing it with AVG's TuneUp Utilities but that only seems to flag it for removal but doesn't actually remove it (although it says it has ). I've tried restarting but the entry is still there even though the infection itself has gone - as far as I can tell (perhaps it hasn't and sneaks back and is merely disabled ).

Any suggestions anyone? Using W7.

Powered by Free Banners

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 15:24
Found out how to delete the thing.

It seems there was a residual registry entry lurking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder.

Deleted the whole entry and now all is fine again (but I've kept copies of everything I deleted just in case I'm barking up the wrong tree and need to reinstate it ).

Powered by Free Banners
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 00:22 Edited at: 20th May 2014 00:24
You can run "msconfig" from the "Run" window (winkey+R) and from there you can safely modify startup options and enable/disable services. It's usually the safer course of action.
On security, give COMODO a try. It'll replace almost all your existing security at the cost of about 10% sanity while you figure it out but it really is reliable and worth it. In "Paranoid Mode", your PC can't sneeze without you knowing.

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 15:32
Quote: "You can run "msconfig" from the "Run" window (winkey+R) and from there you can safely modify startup options and enable/disable services. It's usually the safer course of action."

That's what I used to disable the thing - but it doesn't delete the entry itself. There seemed to be no alternative other than deleting the corresponding registry entry manually. I've no idea whether the rogue entry did any damage elsewhere (no sign of damage so far) - the main symptom was that it kept activating the UAC warning about something wanting to make changes to my computer and I couldn't get past that screen. I got rid of it by going into safe mode and hunting it down manually. Worked fine apart from the residual traces which msconfig wouldn't remove. A bit of Googling told me what to do to get rid of the traces. [And it wasn't the answer provided by MS techies - who seemed intent on giving the right answer to the wrong question. ]