Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / feedback on new project I'm working on (wip)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 17:00
Hey all, a friend and myself are working on a new project www.playpi.net. It's a multiplayer API akin to steamworks but works with just RESTful API calls (no steam client/dll madness). It will allow you to have all the cool multiplayer features without having to go through a company that sells your and your player's data to advertisers.

Right now we're just looking for feedback and what kind of things you'd like to see, if it would be of interest to you, etc. We hope to launch in a month or two.

It would also help us out if you upvote our entry (look for playpi.net) on https://news.ycombinator.com/newest

Thanks!

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 17:50
Sounds great for devs that don't want to use Steam as the basis of their game. Have you tried integrating with something like UE4 or does UE4's network stack preclude your library?

Quote: "without having to go through a company that sells your and your player's data to advertisers"

Wait, what? Steamworks doesn't do that AFAIK, and I can't find anything through a quick Google search to support that claim.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2014 18:13
Quote: "Sounds great for devs that don't want to use Steam as the basis of their game. Have you tried integrating with something like UE4 or does UE4's network stack preclude your library?"

We're not looking to replace the network stack, more like provide hosting for game lobbies, player databases, etc. Though definitely something we want to look at down the road.

Quote: "Wait, what? Steamworks doesn't do that AFAIK, and I can't find anything through a quick Google search to support that claim."

You're right, afaik steam does not. I'm talking about Google. But as for Steam, they require the Steam client running on the local machine. We're in a completely different ballpark. We'll work with HTML5+JS devs, for example. We also can work seemlessly with Steam if the developer wants.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 01:28
Quote: "We're not looking to replace the network stack, more like provide hosting for game lobbies, player databases, etc. Though definitely something we want to look at down the road."

Hmm, this would probably be something that would have to be done through UE4's C++ API instead of the Blueprint stuff I would imagine. If you guys get this working for UE4 with Blueprint, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:31:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:31:32