Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 2014 Forum Presidential Elections

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2014 21:47 Edited at: 18th Jun 2014 04:24
VOTING HAS ENDED!!

Greetings to all! I have taken up the current forum president Seppuku's suggestion of creating an election thread. If the community is willing and if the moderators approve, I see it fit to allow this thread to provide a place where candidates may run for presidency of the forum, and show the rest of the community what they're all about. In a short period of time, we'll make it one week from now (June 10), a voting thread shall be created. That thread will run for a (to be determined) number of days, and at the end of the period, a tally of the votes shall determine the next forum president.

Electing a new president is important, and our current president reflects this feeling. Our current president has served a double term, which is by no means an issue, as he is quite the charming fellow. However, he feels that a new chap needs to take his position.

THIS THREAD IS NOT A VOTING THREAD!!!!! Rather, it is a place to discuss who may or may not be a good president. This is also a place to, if you're running for president yourself, show the rest of us what you're all about. This is also a place where potential president - vice president relations may be established. The formal voting thread shall, if the community sees it fit, be created one week from today, on the 10th day of June.

I myself am hoping to see that nonZero becomes president, and I am hoping that he may take me under his wing as vice president. I would love to be president, but nonZero seems capable of putting a lot more thought and effort into his activities on these forums than I do. As it stands, he has made me vice president of nASA, so this arrangement would work out nicely. As a potential vice president, I would strive to see that the concerns of any community member shall be addressed and/or properly conveyed to the president or a moderator, where a high level action could be taken to remedy the concern of the community member in question. As a potential vice president, I would also strive to see a generally healthy, active, and productive community overall. As a potential vice president, I would see that fit action be consistently taken to assist the president in anything he chooses must be done.

RULES:
You may nominate yourself! This will show us all a little about your personality. Maybe you're confident, but maybe you're a little prideful.
You may bash (while maintaining AUP rules) the policies laid out by any other candidate in any way you like. It shows us a little about your personality.
You may NOT bash in the head of any other candidate, as this is illegal in most countries. It would show us a little about your personality to be fair, but really, please don't. It would make a mess.
You may NOT offer the same dessert to forum members as another candidate has; this would be a violation of the culinary segment of the other candidate's competitive campaigning rights.

If anyone has any suggestions for how this thread should be changed in any way, let me know.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2014 21:15 Edited at: 4th Jun 2014 21:18
Your thoughts have summoned me. Even from far away in the mountains I could sense the hearts of those oppressed by the current regime crying out for change.
So, having no choice, I have returned, in spite of not completing my training, to battle against the evil tyranny of "Samurai and The Big Cheese" so as to free the righteous who now hide in the shadows while the impure of heart strut about freely, taking what they wish with violence amd intimidation.

So, I accept your proposal.

I, nonZero, do hereby officially nominate myself for the position of Forum President with Dark Java Dude 64 as Vice President.

In the names of Justice, Freedom and Democracy! I oppose the malicious tyranny of the current administration!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll be running for President once I find myself a vice, however, I don't need no stinkin' campaign. The voters will choose me for my integrity.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 01:53
Quote: "I'll be running for President once I find myself a vice, however, I don't need no stinkin' campaign. The voters will choose me for my integrity."

You've already got my vote.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 04:33
I'd like to nominate myself because I don't think anyone knows me and I don't like cartoon ponies haha

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 05:33
Quote: "and I don't like cartoon ponies haha"
Acceptance of folks who carry any personal preference, even if that be of cartoon ponies, is a good moral to live by. nonZero and myself shall strictly enforce this moral.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 06:46
Quote: "and I don't like cartoon ponies "

You just earned my vote!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 06:56 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 07:33
Myself speaking here; these words may not necessarily reflect the beliefs of nASA. I support not only the cartoon pony lovers, but I also support the cartoon pony haters, and the cartoon pony lover haters. I also support those neutral on the subject of cartoon ponies. A person's belief regarding cartoon ponies shall in no way change my support of them. Perhaps nASA shall follow this moral.

I just saw this:
Quote: "So, having no choice, I have returned, in spite of not completing my training, to battle against the evil tyranny of "Samurai and The Big Cheese" so as to free the righteous who now hide in the shadows while the impure of heart strut about freely, taking what they wish with violence and intimidation."
See, this man is hilarious. All presidents need a fine sense of humor. Seriousness ruling the forums is not ideal. Of course, an appropriate and mature amount of seriousness shall surely be exercised by this man in times of need.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 19:15
Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I already know who my vote will go towards. I myself will not run because my political beliefs would interfere and my preference of a certain fruit-branded computer company might offend a lot of you.

....GO APPLE!

Come check out my new website!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 19:52
Quote: "I'll be running for President once I find myself a vice, however, I don't need no stinkin' campaign. The voters will choose me for my integrity."

You got my vote, as long as you're not a brony... Otherwise I go with Fuzz. Perhaps we should create parties to quickly determine where the candidates fall.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 20:01
Quote: "to quickly determine where the candidates fall."

At the first hurdle perhaps?

I's also happily nominate a vice for Indicium - except this is a family friendly forum.

Powered by Free Banners
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 20:23 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 20:24
Quote: "Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I already know who my vote will go towards."

And who is that?

Quote: "You got my vote, as long as you're not a brony... "

Pink ponies have no place on this forum. In fact, I once rigged adblock to render that thread invisible.

Quote: "I's also happily nominate a vice for Indicium - except this is a family friendly forum."

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by this. Do I have any willing vice-presidential candidates who would serve alongside myself?

Edit: On an unrelated note, it would seem ImageShack have stopped hosting my avatar. That's odd.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 20:53 Edited at: 6th Jun 2014 05:57
I nominate myself. Or if that's not allowed, Indicium.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 21:10 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 22:24
Quote: "You got my vote, as long as you're not a brony... "

And why is supporting the right of all peoples of all persuasions wrong? There was a time when gamers and coders were ostracised for being into coding and PC games. Now that PC games are mainstream, that has changed.
Besides nASA is not a brony party we simply recognise the rights of them and the people who hate them. Learn more about us here, I've outlined and detailed our policies for all to see.

A wise man once said:

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 21:28
I vote for nonZero and DJD simply because I love the banner and also they're good reputable members.

But mostly the banner:

I mean, c'mon, that's a damn cool banner. Really chill, but also exciting, simple but elegant, and I like the ballsy copyright infringement for the use of the Intel Inside logo!

Come check out my new website!
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I nominate myself. Or if that's not allowed, Indicium."

Nominating one's self isn't allowed? That's most embarrassing.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 03:32
Hmm, do we get cakes from any of the participating parties?

I vote myself either way...

Vote for the Signature Party, we create free Signatures for you!

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 05:16 Edited at: 6th Jun 2014 05:18
I NOMINATE MYSELF!
Right now, you're probably thinking 'Who even is this guy? Why should I vote for him?'
Because, my citizens, the community needs a strong leader! Failing that, the community needs someone to yell at if anything goes wrong. I nominate myself as an ideal candidate for the second of these options.
And although the fact is indisputable that I do like cartoon ponies, I am entirely unbiased towards those who are not like-minded, and I do not believe an individual's opinions of candy coloured ponies should be taken as a judge of character.
On an unrelated note, I would also like to nominate TheComet, because they have Rainbow Dash as their avatar

The code never bothered me anyway...
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 06:10
I wish everyone luck and give my blessings to the next VP. May s/he vote in the case of the Senate's votes tying with the best of his/her ability.

I simply ask my policies of free cake for the entirety of the Posting-Competition-regulars maintains its place in the books.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 07:03
Quote: "Nominating one's self isn't allowed? That's most embarrassing."
Nominating one's self is perfectly fine, and I encourage the action of doing so. It shows us something about your personality.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 07:58 Edited at: 6th Jun 2014 08:02
I nominate myself [easter bunny] as Forum President!!

I believe that I am best suited for this role for the main reason that I can make the best sounding campaign promises!
If you vote for me, I will...
★ Give every member Free Icecream (even if you didn't vote for me!)*
★ Global TGC Forum Peace
★ Stop Climate Change**
★ Solve the N=NP problem!
★ Anything else you want***

*For those who don't like icecream, I shall give cheesecake
**If you don't believe climate change is happening, then I don't either, so you should also vote for me
***after all, the populations always knows exactly what is good for them.

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 10:25 Edited at: 6th Jun 2014 10:32
Quote: "Give every member Free Icecream (even if you didn't vote for me!)*"
Free ice cream is already easily obtainable by forcible entry of a non secured ice cream shop during night hours, so this is useless.

Quote: "Global TGC Forum Peace"
This is not a realistic goal.

Quote: "Stop Climate Change**"
This is also not realistic.

Quote: "Solve the N=NP problem!"
P=1, silly. EDIT Well shoot, I guess N could equal 0, too...

Quote: "Anything else you want***"
This is not intelligent.

nASA shall strive to aspire to realistic goals and to create intelligent, well thought out decisions. We also shall provide free cookies, which cannot be easily obtained by the forcible entry of a non secured ice cream shop during night hours when the police are all asleep.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 10:28 Edited at: 6th Jun 2014 10:36
Quote: "I would also like to nominate TheComet, because they have Rainbow Dash as their avatar"

As thou have heardeth, we are in fact of plural nature!

Vote for TheComet and thou shall be farting rainbows and eating cake!

(Who wants to be my vice president?)

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 10:54
Quote: "This is not intelligent."

When a competitor resorts to name-calling, you know you kicked their ****

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 11:49 Edited at: 6th Jun 2014 11:50
UPDATE

RULES:
You may nominate yourself! This will show us all a little about your personality. Maybe you're confident, but maybe you're a little prideful.
You may bash (while maintaining AUP rules) the policies laid out by any other candidate in any way you like. It shows us a little about your personality.
You may NOT bash in the head of any other candidate, as this is illegal in most countries. It would show us a little about your personality to be fair, but really, please don't. It would make a mess.
You may NOT offer the same dessert to forum members as another candidate has; this would be a violation of the culinary segment of the other candidate's competitive campaigning rights.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 12:36
Quote: "As thou have heardeth, we are in fact of plural nature!Vote for TheComet and thou shall be farting rainbows andeating cake!
(Who wants to be my vice president?)"

I shall be your Vice President. As nASA's leader, I endeavour to support all nASA members in their endeavours so far as I can. It is not against any established, hard-coded rule for me to run for two positions ("Forget one position, I want ALL positions!" -- film ref). So, to support my fellow nASA member I shall offer my services as VP.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 13:15
Quote: "film ref"

Fifth Element?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 13:21
I will be voting for you Mr Valentine!

I think everyone should consider him, he helps out the community here and was even going to come to my house and help me put my PC together! He rocks and I think we would all benefit if he was our dear leader!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 13:51
Thank You Matty! But you provide some innovative tools too!

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2014 19:00 Edited at: 7th Jun 2014 00:51
Instead of joining the race, I'd like to form a political party: The Party Party.

We do not in fact support partying, but instead the formation of the party itself. That being said, we have a highly positive stance regarding partying. We support clear, non-manipulative messages, such as, for example, our backing of gun bans and support of the second amendment.

Our logo is a narwhal because we feel everyone has a beautiful unicorn inside ready to burst out and terrorize humanity.

Those interested in heading the party will receive the support of key voters such as:
-swissolo
-Obama*
-Abraham Lincoln*
-Gordon Freeman*
-Morgan Freeman*
-The Cast of Sharknado*

Please consider The Party Party.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 02:56
Actually, I'd vote for Mr Valentine as well, except that I'm running my own campaign

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 05:59
POLL

The voting thread shall start on June 10th. How long should the voting period last???

3 Days?

5 Days?

7 Days?

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 12:35
Hmmm, I think maybe it should consist of two phases. Like a questions phase where candidates are challenged and questioned by the public first and then a final phase for casting votes. Maybe it'd need a week for all that. There are the odd few of them that have lives.

Vote for me ye scurvy dogs and I'll give ye free cookies.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
7 Days.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 16:20
7 Days and 7 Nights

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2014 18:25 Edited at: 7th Jun 2014 18:26
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The code never bothered me anyway..."

Do you wanna build a robot? We can program it in C.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Vote for Zach Goodwin a.k.a TheZachadoodle as Thread Senator of ThePostingCompetition. I will offer you film making advice and will not judge on you anything whatsoever unless you are completely rude. I am a member of the Filmmaker's Party. And am in support of the nASA party. The Filmmaker's Party is actually a more liberal nASA party.

Willing to be hired as a voice actor for work and to put on a resume.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 00:08
There is of course the apathy party, if you can be bothered voting for us, but frankly, I can't be bothered to run again anyway.

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do you wanna build a robot? We can program it in C."

You've just earned my vote Indicium ;D

The code never bothered me anyway...
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 08:46
I am forming a formal non-conformist party.
The rules are to not follow the rules.
If you want in, then you're out.

If you vote for me I will take no part in this election.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 12:05
Quote: "...To Arr is Pirate!"

Do I take that to imply support fer nASA?

Serious note:
I think we need to add a rule against new accounts from voting, just to keep this thing legit. Someone could, ya' know, make accounts to gain votes.
I also think we should let folks change their votes until the last minute.

Vote for me ye scurvy dogs and I'll give ye free cookies.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 18:30
I think we should add a twist, Everybody Must also vote for one other member, you can still vote for yourself, but you must vote for one other member, you can omit voting for yourself...

As Matty H has expressed empowerment to me already I shall cast my One Vote for another member to him...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 23:37 Edited at: 9th Jun 2014 00:01
***All of the following rules will apply in the upcoming voting thread***

No user is required to vote, but any user that chooses to vote may cast up to one vote, and no more.

Additionally, any vote is final, and may not be changed. Any edited post shall not count for any vote, whatsoever. That applies even if the post once counted for a valid vote, and then was edited.

Any user that casts two votes, be they for the same or different parties, shall only have their first vote counted as valid; their second or later vote(s) shall be counted as invalid.

Each user may cast a vote for anyone but themselves.

And as nZ pointed out, we should prevent new users from voting. Any user account created after the day this thread was created, June 3, 2014, shall not be able to cast votes.

All of these rules (including this one ) are subject to democratically supported change.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 00:49
Maybe we should have a pre-election, too, lol.

Only losers vote for other parties. Don't be a loser; vote nASA and save yourself the humiliation of being labeled a loser.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Could we also have an official vote for thread senators?

Willing to be hired as a voice actor for work and to put on a resume.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 00:59
What about a thread on Cake Bakers?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "***All of the following rules will apply in the upcoming voting thread***"

One running party dictating the rules of an election? I hardly think so. Each rule should be up for debate.

Quote: "Additionally, any vote is final, and may not be changed. Any edited post shall not count for any vote, whatsoever. That applies even if the post once counted for a valid vote, and then was edited."

Disagree. Votes should be counted on counting day regardless of their edit status - if they were edited after closing time then they are discarded.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 01:55 Edited at: 9th Jun 2014 01:55
Quote: "One running party dictating the rules of an election?"
I do not create this thread in representation of my party. Also, 'dictating' is wrong, as I SPECIFICALLY stated that rules are up to change.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Also, 'dictating' is wrong, as I SPECIFICALLY stated that rules are up to change."

My bad, I apologise.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:43:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:43:33