Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Maths gurus, are you genius enough to explain...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 10:37 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 10:38
... this simple algebra.

Having never studied algebra I've decided to give it a go now, on the site mathsisfun.com. All is going well except I'm stuck on one specific part of an equations/formulas tutorial. Either I've misunderstood order of operations or the example is wrong.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/equation-formula.html "Changing the Subject"

This is specifically what I don't understand:

Quote: "divide both sides by l: V / hl = w"

Since I'm under the impression that dividing by l means: V / h / l as opposed to V / (h * l) which is equivalent to what is written.

Am I just being stupid and not understanding the explanation?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 10:47 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 10:53
Try this:

l=2, w=3, h=4
V=24

V = l*w*h

V/h = l*w
24/4 = 2*3

V/hw = l
24/(4*3) = 2
V/h/w ALSO = l
(24/4)/3 = 2

Basically (x/y)/z is the same as x/yz. Just the second way is better because it's impossible to get the order of precedence confused.

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:01 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 11:06
Quote: "Basically (x/y)/z is the same as x/yz"

No it's not, because multiplication does not precede division. x/yz is equivalent to xz/y.

(x/y)/z is equivalent to x/y/z.
x/y/z is equivalent to x/(y*z).
x/y*z is equivalent to x*z/y.

It's easier if you do division with fractions:

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:16
Thanks for the replies guys, though neither of you have answered my (implicit) question: is v / hl = w equivalent to v / h / l = w or v / (h * l) = w ?

As it happens I e-mailed the guy who runs the site and he's just replied with:

Quote: "I should really put () around hl to be clear: w = V/(hl)"

And that still doesn't really answer my question.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:21 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 11:24
Quote: "is v / hl = w equivalent to v / h / l = w or v / (h * l) = w"

v/hl is ambiguous, that's why he replied with that e-mail. If I go back to the website, I see there are now brackets around it: v / (hl).

v/h/l=w is equivalent to v/(h*l)=w.

v/hl could mean v/(h*l), but it could also mean l*v/h, if you consider the "/" not to be a fraction but a division operator.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:23 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 11:24
I thought there was a standard way of writing equations and formulas though, along with a standard order of operations. so for example "v/hl" would always mean "v/h/l" or whatever.

[edit]

I guess that would be written as v / h / l if so, right?

Anyway thanks for help clearing it up. *brofist*

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:25
Sorry for always editing my posts, you're replying too quickly. See above post for answer.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:31
I think what I'm misunderstanding is whether or not joined numbers (ie. 1x, xy, etc.) are done before other operators?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 11:34 Edited at: 5th Jun 2014 11:36
In primary school, we first learned the order of operators was:

* and ÷ comes before + and -, making 2+3*4=14 instead of 20.

We also learned that division is NOT interchangeable, i.e. 8÷2÷2 is NOT the same as 8÷(2÷2), but rather 8÷(2*2). Multiplication IS interchangeable, i.e. 2*4*8 = 8*2*4. This is still perfectly valid when dealing with algebra.

The ambiguity is coming from the fact that programmers are using the symbol "/" instead of "÷" for division, and it has become common to think that "/" actually denotes a fraction rather than a division operator.

This is wrong. / still means ÷ (both are division operators!).

If you were to write v/(hl)=w as a fraction:

Note how you don't need the brackets around h*l any more because the fraction line already implies that everything below it is encased in brackets.

People will commonly incorrectly write that as v/hl where "/" is supposed to be a fraction, where really they meant v/(hl).

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 12:04
I think I might just be understanding it now. I already understand about operator precedence (mul/div before add/sub etc) so maybe...

The way we (programmers) write equations involving division wouldn't produce the same results when written in the correct mathematical way (as in your code snippet)?

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 12:11
That's why I always use brackets (or parentheses if you rather) in my code

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 13:17
Quote: "The way we (programmers) write equations involving division wouldn't produce the same results when written in the correct mathematical way (as in your code snippet)?"

Programmers don't have fraction notation, so whenever they encounter a fraction (such as in my code snippet), they have to convert it to a "one liner", which means everything underneath the fraction must be enclosed in parentheses. My code snippet would have to be converted to w=v/(h*l) or w=v/h/l and not w=v/h*l.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Jun 2014 19:57
Quote: "v/hl is ambiguous"

No it isn't.

The standard rule in algebra is that implied multiplication, such as hl, is done before both multiplication and division. It's just a convenient way of avoiding excessive use of brackets so, yes, v/h/l is algebraically the same as v/hl.