Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / I graduated! (High School)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 07:48 Edited at: 8th Jun 2014 07:48

Yeah, that's me alright. And before the ladies ask, I'm not comfortable giving out my address on the internet.

Anyway, graduation was just yesterday and I gotta say, I'm not looking forward to leaving high school (primary school to the Brits I think?) and heading off to University this Fall. Managed to graduate with High Honors, #18 in a class of 160, amongst a few other accolades, so the last four years weren't easy (especially AP Calculus). But I enjoyed my time in school and I'll miss seeing friends nearly every day of my life. You do the same thing for 14 years and all of a sudden it just stops. It's come as quite a shock to me personally, and with new experiences waiting for me in college, I feel a little overwhelmed. Oh well, guess it's time to shoot for that Computer Science degree in the next four years.

Anyone else graduate this year? Maybe from University? How'd you feel whenever it finally happened. I know I felt like graduation was always a million years away, heh.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 08:00
Grats!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 10:29
hate living in sweden; Get all confused by everyone elses systems. We have Primary school (i think? 1-9 atleast) and then gymnasium (in which you choose a education; I chose IT - games and design for example) and gymnasium you go in ages 16-19 ish and then we have collage after that

I have no idea if other countries have our equalent to gymnasium - but i've never found a translation for it ^^ So I always get all confused

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 10:52
Quote: "Anyway, graduation was just yesterday"
Whoa, your school year goes late! My school got out on the 22nd of May this year, which is pretty typical. But going into June is just... ugh.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 11:30 Edited at: 8th Jun 2014 11:32
Quote: "hate living in sweden; Get all confused by everyone elses systems. We have Primary school (i think? 1-9 atleast) and then gymnasium (in which you choose a education; I chose IT - games and design for example) and gymnasium you go in ages 16-19 ish and then we have collage after that"

Yep, every time I try to discuss school systems I always not having any idea what other people are talking about, and they don't have any idea about what im talking about. Usually just saying what year you are in works the best for me (except when talking to people in countries that start school earlier). Atleast we now have the same grading system that other countries do.

I'll be graduating from (the equivalent of high school) this year, on friday to be precise. I agree that it's a bit sad because these these last 2 years are the first time that I have enjoyed school, I have had subjects that actually interest me and teachers that have been great. There is obviously the loosing contact with friends aspect but skype will probably help prevent that

I will be going to univiersity this fall, probably studying programming with a focus on graphics stuff so I will probably have even more fun than I have had this year. I'll get more programming and less boring subjects like languages.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2014 11:55
Congrats and condolences.
High School was no picnic for me in the beginning. Still I dreaded leaving high school from about Grade 10 (10/12 grades in RSA). I really loved high school because the ups made the downs worth suffering. For me it was great and our class grew quite close (maybe the closest ever in my school) in the last two odd years so we were like family (it was a private school and our class was small). I had only a few bad teachers so I was on good terms with most. Anyway, I know how you feel when you say it's weird. After leaving the grad ceremony I felt "lighter" but because a piece of me was missing and because it just didn't feel real.

I'm not gonna lie and say how great life will be; the outside world is harsh and unforgiving -- one wrong move = game over! It's also so big and all of a sudden, being the top Mathematics student or being the best anthlete doesn't matter. There are a countless supply of bigger fish who are stronger, smarter or both. Also, taking responsibility for your own ass sux like a black hole.

But, on the up side, it's quite a magnificent world -- sans the people, lol -- and when you're out there, you start having loads of experiences (all kinds, hehehe) and you grow one hell ot a lot of understanding of things. I think leaving high school is like leaving Midgar on FF7 if you've never played a J-RPG before: it feels like the end but my Deity, it's just the beginning!

Advice to take/leave: Tertiary education is essential so don't slack off. You are going to get hurt -- a few times -- but you'll live and end up stronger and wiser. Focus on your career, you can follow dreams in your spare time (take it from someone who skipped uni and worked casual jobs thinking he'd just become a writer; I've struggled because of my own idiocy). Oh, and you never can have too much backup. If I could go back I would've started saving years ago and gone on to investments. I'd be living comfortably on a passive income by now if I had, or, at the very least, I'd be free of financial troubles.

Gawd, I just went OTT due to my nostalgia and regret but I think I'll leave this post. Maybe it'll be of use, even if it's to someone else.

Good Luck.

Vote for me ye scurvy dogs and I'll give ye free cookies.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats man.

Quote: "Anyone else graduate this year?"

I graduated from high school this year.

Willing to be hired as a voice actor for work and to put on a resume.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "(primary school to the Brits I think?)"

Primary school is for 5-11 year olds, Secondary school 11-16 and Sixth Form/College for 16-18. So you're a little off. Congratulations though!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 01:22
Quote: "(primary school to the Brits I think?)"

You look pretty old for an 11 year old.

Anyhow, congrats...I didn't realise you were a baby, I knew you were younger, just not that much younger.

Well, you're looking pretty snazzy, I wouldn't be worried about the ladies, it's the men you should be concerned about. Mainly because we're a large majority here and I suspect many would turn gay for you. You're my Vice President, assuming you're of a legal age, well, perhaps we should talk some time.

You'll learn to develop a love-hate relationship with the real world. Get a job you like and do what you want with your life, that's love, but people...you'll always hate people, people suck.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 06:59
Quote: "! My school got out on the 22nd of May this year,"

That's crazy early! Most schools around here don't get out until after the first week of June.

If you've ever heard someone tell you to enjoy highschool, it's the best years of your life. And while in highschool you're like school sucks how could that be? Well, it's true. It's all downhill from here!

Congrats, and welcome to the real world!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2014 07:07
Quote: "That's crazy early! Most schools around here don't get out until after the first week of June."
Ah, it must be the awesome Colorado education board!!! I say that partially sarcastically, but from what I hear about education boards in other states, I guess Colorado's is decent. Hence the early get out date. Well then, we go back I think the 20th of August. Maybe that's early, too?

Well let's be real here: going back to school from Summer on ANY day is too early.

FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 03:17
I leave school in precisely one week.

Whether I come back for the final year or go to college is another matter.

[WARNING: INDECISIVE DRIVEL AHEAD]

I'm still undecided, college gets more and more tempting...

But I only have one chance to do my last year at High School.

But would there be anything worthwhile that I miss if I leave?

Can I really be bothered with ANOTHER year of school?

Would I miss anyone?

Then again, meeting new people would be nice...

As it currently stands, I'd probably just go to college. I have served for 13 years and the school life has taught me well, (while at times not necessarily treating me too nicely.) So perhaps it is time to move on.

Or is it?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 11:11
Congrats! I raise my plate of cheesecake in celebration

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 12:04 Edited at: 15th Jun 2014 12:07
Well done! It seems US schooling is a bit different than in Australia. We have Primary School from 4/5 to 12 years old, High School from 12/13 to 16, College from 16/17 to 18 and then University from 18/19 for generally 4 years or so.

I didn't go to University when I finished College but a lot of my friends do. I spent 6 months looking for work and I got a job doing child care at my primary school, then a month later I got a job at EB Games and then just over a month ago I got a job cleaning at my primary school for $30.19 an hour and starting Monday I'm working as a Teachers Assistant.

So while some of my friends have been going to Uni for the past 2 years or so I've been doing various casual jobs while working on my dream as being a game developer and writer. I'm only 20 but there's nothing else I can see myself doing in my life but good luck with yours

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:46:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:46:44