Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Buying a sword.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 03:24 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 08:45
I'm looking a to purchase a real, battle ready sword, complete with a scabbard. As far as I know it's legal to buy and own swords in Australia.

Does anyone have any experience buying swords that are good quality with full tang blades ect.? I'm not sure if you can import swords from America or Europe to Australia but if you can and the price is right, I'm willing.

I'd like a sword like this because it looks like it could go with a lot of costumes (Medieval, GoT, LOTR)

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 04:52 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 04:53

It's free

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 05:43 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 05:45
What do you want it for? Are you going to be sword fighting? or is it for display and occasionally dividing watermelons

Strangely I was looking into medieval practice swords myself just yesterday and found this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Viking-River-Scheldt-Sword-Full-Tang-Hand-Forged-EN45-Steel-Sharp-SUPERB-/251520857930

It Seems pretty sweet, however I am not after a sharp one.

What they have to say seems pretty on the ball.

From memory I think that in Victoria you must be part of a knives/sword club or a martial arts club to get approval to buy and own a sword.
It may be the same in Tassie.

Up here in merry old Queensland the only requirement is to be 16 and you could own a thousand swords.
you are just not allowed to play with them in public.

so far as full tang goes, most of them will be or the handle will snap off quickly.
With real swords you do need to oil them, keep that in mind if you live near the sea as you will need to be more diligent in your oiling of a *very sharp blade*
Avoid touching the blade(i mean the flat not the sharp edge-though don't touch that either) the grease and sweat from your fingers will act as a corrosive agent.

Store them flat to avoid warping and somewhere where they will not gather dust.

I guess what I am getting at is that swords need a lot of regular care to keep them in good condition. Is it worth the effort to have a real battle ready one for display? or would you be better off getting a cheapo stainless steel blunt display sword that looks pretty but is poorly weighted and useless.

for swinging and practicing I personally use a wooden sword. I have a stainless steel performance sword for demonstrations.
But I am guessing that wanting a sharp one you are not using it for sparring.

If you just want to have some fun slicing things, then get a cheapo Katana from ebay and go hack, the edge wont last long because of the nature of people on a sword chopping binge ("Lets see if it can chop through that!")

Anyway, that's my advice. I know very little about buying real live swords, but have owned swords and was surprised by the amount of effort required to care for them.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 05:55
Quote: "battle ready"
This is indeed a tad concerning.

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 06:42
Thanks for the laugh, DJD 64!

By battle ready I mean that it could potentially be used in real sword fights and not snap at the hilt like some cheap knock-off. I don't actually want to battle anyone with a real sword (practise or blunt sword fighting would be fun though), I just want the real thing, to hold an authentic sword that COULD be used in a fight.

I'm looking into armour, too.

Same reason people collect weapons or other things.

Quote: "This is indeed a tad concerning."

I think it's more concerning that you can go and buy a gun at Walmart in America

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 08:12 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 08:13
Quote: "Thanks for the laugh, DJD 64!"
I have to give my friend credit; he was sitting there when I opened the post, and he told me what to post in reply.

Quote: "I think it's more concerning that you can go and buy a gun at Walmart in America"
While I don't like gun limiting laws, I will give you that. It is more concerning, if you look at it from a relative standpoint.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 09:16
It is funny how your friend speaks exactly the same way you do

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 10:08
He told me what image to post :/

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 10:24
Ohh, I though you meant this post

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 10:41 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 10:41
You silly goose! Three feathers of yours will be plucked at 6 AM sharp tomorrow for that. With a sword. >=|

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 13:39
Goose?

Powered by Free Banners
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 15:06 Edited at: 11th Jun 2014 15:06
Just don't be one of those dorks who takes pictures of himself posing with a weapon.
Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2014 18:07
I had a friend who collected knives. He had a few samurai swords but only 1 real one. He used to use some cottonwool to put the oil on because he said other stuff like a cloth would blunt the blade. He never chopped anything with it because he said it would damage easily. I think having a real sword is alot of work. He used to cut things with the fake sword and it worked fine. We even made a video of him slicing an apple in mid air!!! He lent me the fake one for cosplay once so yes, i am one of those dorks i guess Seditous was talking about. I think it's fun to take pictures and dress up. What is the point owning a sword if you don't unless you want to become like an assassin or something. Anyway i think it's cool to own if you have the time to look after it and i don't think you are a dork if you take photos of yourself with it.

World's worst signature - ever!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 02:17
Quote: "Just don't be one of those dorks who takes pictures of himself posing with a weapon. "

Like this?

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 03:48
Well this didn't turn out how I'd hoped but thanks for the posts haha

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 04:00 Edited at: 14th Jun 2014 04:01
I have a sword I bought 10 years ago that's handmade and guaranteed for true battle. Due to legal reasons, he couldn't sell it sharpened, but I have smashed through cinder blocks without it receiving a scratch. He said the only time someone's come to him with one of his swords broken was when they ran over it with a suburban and bent it.

I'll see if I can find his business card. It's in the US, I don't know about international shipping as I bought mine in person and watched him make it. $300 without sheath.

Quote: "Just don't be one of those dorks who takes pictures of himself posing with a weapon."

Stay off my FB!

Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 13:51
Quote: "Stay off my FB!"

And mine!

Actually, i deleted my facebook. Too many people from high school kept trying to friend me. They weren't my friends then and some were very cruel to me so i don't know why they want to suddenly be friends now. I also didn't like all the apps and stuff and i felt there was no privacy because the settings are so complicated. I never really posted alot anyway, mainly stupid complaining and some pictures of me trying to cosplay. They are very embarrassing. I hope no one has copies.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline

Production method of the Japanese sword
日本刀(Katana)

windowsXp
Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 20:44
In the old days they tested them on dead bodies in Japan. Well what my friends told me but i think it is probably true.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 11:41
Quote: "In the old days they tested them on dead bodies in Japan. Well what my friends told me but i think it is probably true."

The version I heard was more gruesome.
The version I heard was that they tested them on prisoners, the more torso's they would slice through, the higher grade the blade.

Dead bodies sounds more practical to me outside of group execution.
However I do not know the actual deal...

Seppuku Arts! I hereby summon thee!

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 12:07
The video above said that they did test them on prisoners

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 12:41
I don't know if people would be okay with that. Wel, in the old days maybe they were. People were killed all the time then for anything. That's why i don't understand why people complain today about life. We're alot safer now. Anyway maybe i will look it up on wikipedia to see what the truth is about katanas.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 13:29
Quote: "I have a sword I bought 10 years ago that's handmade and guaranteed for true battle. Due to legal reasons, he couldn't sell it sharpened, but I have smashed through cinder blocks without it receiving a scratch."

I would be highly tempted to buy a sword from him. I do love swords regardless of their similarity to puppies.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 13:59
Quote: "That's why i don't understand why people complain today about life."

Just because it's better doesnt mean you should be fine with it.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.strongblade.com/

Willing to be hired as a voice actor for work and to put on a resume.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 11:14 Edited at: 29th Jun 2014 11:19
When I was a kid I read a story in 2000ad comic about a man that had the memory or skill of people from the past put into his head. When he faced a situation that replicated what the past person experienced, that person was activated into his mind, so say he was in a street bawl he would become a Victorian street fighter, battling on the cobbles outside a gin den, the comic would change the images from his setting, and he was that person, in the past. Very nice way to show lots of historical battle settings.

in one part of the story he has to fight with a wooden stave, hes transformed in his mind, now he is a samurai warrior of the past, whos renown with the sword was so high no one would fight him, so he had to take to fighting with a wooden practice sword (boken), and still he would triumph over challenging samurai.

The sentiment is correct, its not the weapon, but the person using the weapon. The internet is full of magical katanas Vs 'supposed' European metal cricket bats, which is what katana fan boys see western melee weapons. But the reality is, you can have any sword you like, but a highly skilled swordsman will still beat you with a stick.

Theres a nice scene in the film Zatoichi (the blind swordsman) with a down at heel ronin (masterless samurai) After beating the arrogant samurais, quite literally in this case. The scruffy ronin declares, would a real samurai fight you with a wooden sword. Watch the film to its conclusion, then you will understand what he is saying.

Slow Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 23:59
Why you don't buy a cheap sword...

Thinking of something witty to put here.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 10:35
Did that sword just break in half?

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline

Samurai Challenge! Samurai Sword ( Katana ) Cutting Steel Pipe & Steel Plate -Zantetsuken-

windowsXp
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2014 19:41
Quote: "Why you don't buy a cheap sword..."

Shut up and take my money!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2014 06:46
Steel plate? I don't think so, more like sheet metal.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 17:52
Wanna be the guy with the largest knife in the kitchen?

Anyway, these folks sell swords:

Cult of Athena
(they also sell medieval plated armor...why stop at the sword ^_^ ... or the armor... get a horse! Thats it, get a sword, armor and an armored horse!)

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 06:11
Finally bought a Viking sword.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 14:03
A viking sword, eh? Send some nuns and gold along my way next time you plunder a monastery alongside the coast.

-Wolf

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 20:03
By Odin's beard! A viking sword!

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 07:12
I also bought a seax and viking shield which I'll post pictures of when I get them.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 11:02
Ok, but only if you pose with them.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2014 16:21
Quote: "Finally bought a Viking sword."

Funny how easy it is to work out which country someone is from. I saw that picture and immediately recognised the wall plug type and was like, "YES I can creep him out by telling him I know where he liv- oh he says where..."

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 03:09
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 15:37
I bought a machete last week. And no it's not because I also just watched that movie either!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 19:51
Quote: "And no it's not because I also just watched that movie either!"

...and I assume you want us to believe that?

Fuzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 05:43
I've got a Viking axe coming in the mail (justified by the giant pile of wood in the yard which I may as well chop in style) and a custom made Viking shield made by a local blacksmith. Quite excited.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:58:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:58:57