Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rant: "The Modern Life"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 05:49
The Modern Life

The "modern" life of today is cruel and unjust and is not a life for me. This form of life is pushed upon not only me but every kid that grows up in today's society. We our taught to accept what we are told by our "elders" and are pushed down as a "delinquent" if we decide to question what these "elders" tell us. We our forced into a "modern" life where we are forced to work day in and day out to become what society wants us to be. They all speak about this great freedom that is upon us and how we can make our own decisions. What type of freedom leaves those who work and do nothing but try to fit into society in debt and fighting to stay off the streets? What type of freedom frowns upon the adventurous and the people who question the rules that society has put into place. What type of freedom is living in constant stress and worry of an object such as money that holds no truth, no beauty, and no happiness. In this world the idea of freedom is being forced to follow the pattern of society and do only as you are told by the "higher powers". We are told what to be and who to be without any say and when are ideas clash with these "elders" and "higher powers" we are to expect to be looked down upon and to be put down till we conform to what they need or want from us. The only true way to happiness is to not conform to this corrupted society of worry and stress. You must let go of all of it and leave and see the true beauty of the world and discover who you truly are and learn to love who you are as a person. When you have done this is when you will discover true happiness. I do not want to conform to such a corrupt society or told how I should be by those who are ranked as a higher level then me because they posses more money or they have a greater age. Age and money do NOT bring wisdom and is one of the most wrong beliefs in today's society. You can not change society but you can change yourself and find happiness within yourself. Just let it all go.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 05:53
I agree with you. Modern society, and what it tries to conform you to become, is really disgusting. You really do have to let it go. Following your heart isn't always what's best, either, but I can't get into that on this forum.

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 05:56
Quote: "I agree with you. Modern society, and what it tries to conform you to become, is really disgusting. You really do have to let it go. Following your heart isn't always what's best, either, but I can't get into that on this forum."

I am glad I am not the only one that believes so. You have to learn to follow your heart but to learn the limits to follow it to. Which is defiantly is not something taught in society today. I hope I didn't break any of the forms rules with this post. I tried to keep all political and other matters out of the rant. Hopefully this does not turn into a flame war...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 06:19
I don't think you broke any rules, but the potential for fire still exists.

And yes, following your heart, but to a limit, seems better.

What's ultimately important is what your heart is after.

I'd go even further but I'd start breaking forum rules. And I'd start making people mad, too.

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 08:00
Quote: "The "modern" life of today is cruel and unjust and is not a life for me. This form of life is pushed upon not only me but every kid that grows up in today's society. We our taught to accept what we are told by our "elders" and are pushed down as a "delinquent" if we decide to question what these "elders" tell us. We our forced into a "modern" life where we are forced to work day in and day out to become what society wants us to be. They all speak about this great freedom that is upon us and how we can make our own decisions. What type of freedom leaves those who work and do nothing but try to fit into society in debt and fighting to stay off the streets? What type of freedom frowns upon the adventurous and the people who question the rules that society has put into place. What type of freedom is living in constant stress and worry of an object such as money that holds no truth, no beauty, and no happiness. In this world the idea of freedom is being forced to follow the pattern of society and do only as you are told by the "higher powers". We are told what to be and who to be without any say and when are ideas clash with these "elders" and "higher powers" we are to expect to be looked down upon and to be put down till we conform to what they need or want from us. The only true way to happiness is to not conform to this corrupted society of worry and stress. You must let go of all of it and leave and see the true beauty of the world and discover who you truly are and learn to love who you are as a person. When you have done this is when you will discover true happiness. I do not want to conform to such a corrupt society or told how I should be by those who are ranked as a higher level then me because they posses more money or they have a greater age. Age and money do NOT bring wisdom and is one of the most wrong beliefs in today's society. You can not change society but you can change yourself and find happiness within yourself. Just let it all go."

I can see why you are disillusioned, It is hard to make a start and for a long time it really does seem that we are little fish bred to be eaten by the bigger fatter fish. I remember feeling trapped in a mechanical device that was chewing up the world with no regard for the little machine parts being crushed in its gaping maw.

I spent a long time trying to find myself in this world.

I will share some thoughts that I personally found useful which help me co-exist with this ecosystem.

I spent a lot of time and energy thinking about philosophy and the universe and reality and alternate reality and got really quite caught up in it all.
However, eventually I made the realization, that 'evil society' has allowed me the luxury of thought. It may not be perfect, however without it, our thoughts would not be centered around any form of complex or deeper thought. Our thoughts would revolve food, warmth and safety, doing whatever it took to grind through another day.

It is the safety net of society that allows us the free time to become disillusion with it funnily enough.

Don't get me wrong, your thoughts and feelings are extremely valid and to some degree universal.

I also find that anger is a curse people place upon themselves. I find that when I clear my head I can think and feel more clearly and the world is not so vindictive.

I also like the mirror analogy of the universe. The mind goes in as far as the universe goes out. think of the largest concept or the furthest away thing you can imagine, and no matter how big or how far, it exists only within your mind. everything you know about the universe is built from your thoughts and your way of thinking constructs the world around you.

If you are filled with anger and resentment, will this tint the lens through which the universe is perceived?

Rather than abandoning the world as it has seemed to abandon you, help it, care for it, do whatever it takes to help it get better.
(for some reason this thought reminds me of an old music film clip i saw where a car is coming hurtling towards a guy but he does not move and upon impact the car simply smashes around him.)*not to be tried literally

I am aware that most of these thoughts you were already clearly expressing without my added ramblings.
We are all here in this world with you.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 08:25
I find what you say very intresting and true Kezzela..

But is it not this world that just holds us back? What are we even actually grasping or aiming for.. This is a very sad realization that I have made and I am sure a lot of others have also is that for the majority of us everything in this world that we do will really have no impact once we die. Everything will continue to move on after we leave this world in such a short time. So why live in constant worry and stress and caring so much about things such as money? I would rather be poor and happy and see the beauty in the world and people in it then attempt to leave an imprint behind through all the stress and worry this life has to bring. All I am is a tiny pebble that got dropped into an ocean. Or a spec of sand in an hour glass. You can remove me and no one would notice a difference what so ever..
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 09:14
I actually take a lot of comfort and pleasure in my mortality. I do things because I want to do them. Like a sand mandala, once I am dead all my achievements will be swept up and blown into oblivion. I find this thought pleasing. Indeed, why does it matter?

you say you are a tiny pebble, to something that tiny pebble may be a mighty boulder, an anchor for security, possibly shelter from a raging torrent. It is the perception of the pebble that is detracting from its value not the nature of the pebble its self.
Find value in yourself and you will be valuable.
Mortality makes life special, do with it what you will.

There is a saying I like that is usually associated with sex but adapts well to money.

"(blank) is like oxygen, it only matters if your not getting enough."

It is a nice thing to be free from money woes, but I made the mistake of abandoning it and as a result was plagued by the very thing I was avoiding.

It reminds me of an old house I used to live in. We worked as hard rubbish and recycling removalists. Through the job we accumulated every possession and more one could ever desire, and through living in this house with this lifestyle we were actually able to experience detachment from possession.

We had a joke about a Hippy sitting in an empty house practicing the art of detachment... detachment from what? they have nothing to detach from.(a very physical interpretation but equally valid.)

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 11:23
Money makes the world go round.

Seriously, it's fine to question society and it's goals, it's fine to question your elders, because any decent elder will try and explain why you shouldn't tattoo your face, or why you should get a job and pay your own way.

We don't need a society full of drones who only ever answer yes - we need a society of contributing people, that's all. If everyone pulled their weight then we'd all be in a better position.

There's no point in questioning why you need to work and earn money and contribute, because if you aren't doing it, then all these elder cogs have to, how much do you think it has cost your parents to get you to this stage?
Are you gonna turn around and say that you don't think you owe society or your parents anything?
No, you owe them a steady job, your own place, and maybe some grand kids. Live with it, it's life and it won't change just because your not sure if you've got the minerals for it.

I am the one who knocks...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 12:05
@NIlooc223 - You've contradicted yourself.

Here:
Quote: "In this world the idea of freedom is being forced to follow the pattern of society and do only as you are told by the "higher powers"."

And here:
Quote: "But is it not this world that just holds us back? What are we even actually grasping or aiming for.. This is a very sad realization that I have made"

Society wants you to think like that about it.

While what you say is true to some degree, this is an extremely negative and biased viewpoint. I think you should re-evaluate your mindset before blindly believing it.

The world is what you perceive it to be and nothing more. Your brain will filter whatever you focus on, so if you think the world is holding you back then this becomes your reality. If you think you don't have a goal in life, if you think you are useless, then it becomes your reality. These thoughts are solely based on the way you perceive things, and what you said about the world holding you back is exactly what society wants you to believe. It wants you to think you're not special, it wants you to think you'll never be anything in life, etc.

If you change the way you see things, then you change your reality. That is the true power.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 12:10
Quote: "No, you owe them a steady job, your own place, and maybe some grand kids."

Interesting. Read a book called 'Debt, the first 5000 years' and it talks about this debt to your parents and society, and whether it exists at all.

I would be interested to know whether you feel your kids owe you?

I personally think I will feel indebted to my kids for the rest of my life, because my parents have done so much for me I could not possibly pay it back, so I will pay it forward. I don't want anything from my kids, to me, they owe me nothing.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 13:07 Edited at: 12th Jun 2014 13:08
Yes my son owes me! - I didn't raise no douchebag!

He owes me his effort, as long as he tries then I'm happy. If he loses a job then at least he had a job to lose. It's about trying to be a contributing member of society instead of just another leech, that's all. The world doesn't owe anyone a living, anything worth having these days has to be worked for, there are no shortcuts or free rides.

Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 22:01
Before you get too angry about society i will tell you something, just my feelings:

I HAAAAAAATE most girly things and i used to prefer to play video games to dolls and teddies. I always used to like opening things like radios and cellphones and stuff too, and i used to love helping my uncle work on his car. I just like gadgets. But i am glad i listened to my parents when they told me to learn to cook, clean, iron and staff because i live on my own now and it is tough!!!

I still follow my hobbies and am starting to learn to program because me and my friends are going to make video games. But i am glad i listened to my parents and got a decent job because they are old now and both live on their trust fund which doesn't pay alot and they could not afford if i was to still be living with them, unemployed and "following my dream". When i get home from work is my time for following my dream. I don't care if i am part of evil society or not because i am living my life for myself. I don't want to be free, i just want to be happy.

World's worst signature - ever!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 01:10
Ha ha, OK Van B, fair enough

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 01:27 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 10:46
NIlooc223:
Let me start with this quote:
Quote: "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free "

-- Epica (You should listen to them, they're amazing)
Your perception of freedom in your context would be no less a construct than a rich twit's perception of freedom based on his money and power.

Moving on -- we'll revisit freedom -- to your apparent dislike for adults or people older than you. Age does not determine wisdom, but what is gained from experience does. Having experiences alone is worth Jack Tish, as is introspection on an empty life. You need both these ingredients, a pinch understanding and a drop of insanity.

Mortality. I think this quote is fitting:
Quote: "Beyond all mortality we are, swinging in the breath of nature, in early air of the dawn of life,
a sight to silence the heavens"

-- Nightwish (Another band you should listen to). We are small and our lifespans a single cosmic sigh but, truly, what we feel and express can be so magnificent that it overwhelms us to tears. If you have ever wept for beauty then you'll understand. Sidenote: This all ties up.

Now we'll extrapolate on a little of what's been said.
Okay, as I mentioned, your idea of freeing yourself is a delusion. There is no truth, only perception. History is written by the winners. Beauty is in the eye of what the beholder was molded (by life) to percieve.
So, you are never free because:
i) If you live in society, you abide by its rules or it will kick your ass like it kicked mine and one night after losing everything, like me, you'll be left admitting defeat and crying out for someone, who isn't coming, to save you. At this moment, you pull ot together and trudge through kilometers of raw sewage to get to the other side or you take the easy way out, give up and just go with the flow. No right or wrong choice, just what you want.
ii) If you return to the natural world (I mean nature) and go and live in a mountain-shack, a jungle, what ever, you'll have to conform to nature's rules. If the cold gets you, you get sick and die. If an animal gets you, you're dead or dead and supper. If you run out of food and water, game over. So it's a lot of work to survive and there's no Jeff Probst to rock up with 5kg rice if you can run up and down the beach with an egg on a spoon.

But there is one place you are free and it's the one thing nobody can take from you: your own mind. Kinda anti-climactic, I know, but the real world is just that. Your mind really is your place. It's your world. I'm gonna paraphrase the ending to one of the few modern Hollywood movies I actually had fun watching.
Who is it that shackles you, that binds you, that chains you, that imprisons you?
Who is it that holds the key to your shackles?
Who is it that has the strength to set you free?
-- It's you.

Inspired by the ending quote of Sucker Punch which is really just a fun ass-kicking action film with a little fantasy and sci-fi thrown in.
So what I'm getting at is that this is your place. Your mind is your universe and you set the rules.

So what am I saying? Live for your passions, reach for your dreams and, while you're at it, don't forget to pay the damned rent.
...And so what if your creative endeavours, your dreams, your passions, your achievements are eventually forgotten? This entire existence may be transient, but that doesn't mean there's no point. Who are you doing it for? Yourself or some cyborg-kid a thousand years from now who's never even felt the joy of running about in the sprinkler on a hot afternoon with friends or taking a walk to nowhere in particular. I leave you with this from Within Temptation (also a band worth a listen) (I haven't error-checked, I just copy-pasta'd the lyrics off a lyric site so they may not be 100% but it's more-or-less):
Quote: "
Armies have conquered
And fallen in the end
Kingdoms have risen
Then buried by sand
The Earth is our mother
She gives and she takes
She puts us to sleep and
In her light we'll awake
We'll all be forgotten
There's no endless fame
But everything we do
Is never in vain

We're part of a story, part of a tale
We're all on this journey
No one is to stay
Where ever it's going
What is the way?

Forests and deserts
Rivers, blue seas
Mountains and valleys
Nothing here stays
While we think we witness
We are part of the scene
This never-ending story
Where will it lead to?
The earth is our mother
She gives and she takes
But she is also a part
A part of the tale

We're all on this journey
No one is to stay
Where ever it's going
What is the way?
Sometimes beautiful and sometimes insane
No one remembers how it began.
"

I hope you find your answers as I, too, went through this some years back.

Edit: Wow, the post was full of spelling and grammar errors. There are consequences to late-night posting, besides the getting too caught up in it.

Be cool, vote nASA (nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association), have more fun here. Be an uncool loser, vote someone else, have a boring forum.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 04:43
Quote: "NIlooc223"

I agree with this, completly. And I'm a swede; I dont even need to fight to be able to stay off the streets; I can just claim I looked for work and they'll give me money anyway.

Doesn't mean what you're saying isnt true though: From the get go, we're told we gotta "fit in", can't be different or you'll be bullied in school! Gotta do good in school, or you have no future.
And on the other side of the coin, they tell us that after you have gone through 9 years of school you dont have to do more school..
Bullocks; If you don't go 3 more years you won't find a job; You just won't.

Well, all that might not be so bad; But after school.. Oooh the after school; The promised land of the rich and free. In which you can pursue your own ideals (which, society tells us are all wrong btw; Cant be a graphics developer that's impossible.)
- ooh no. After school there's unemployment, living off of government funds. In which they will also tell you to make yourself pwetty and "fit in" - and look for the jobs, that doesnt exist btw or else you wont get any money (of course you will; You'll just get "less".)

In sweden we have a thing; Called "Arbetsförmedlingen" or as I like to call it; "Arbetsförnedringen".. hah - a bit of inside joke there.
It's basicly a place you go to, in which they'll help you get a job.
Or so they say, what they really do is laugh at what a miserable young fool you are as they completly screw you over at every possibility.

No, I don't think this "society" is that much for me; Granted it does give me cash to pay the rent while I have no work - but it also pressures me to be whatever the heck I set out NOT to be. And I'm sure it will pressure my daughter into becoming a mindless drone aswell. There's so much fundamentally wrong on just a social plane within our society.

I'm not even sure if I have a point here and if I had one i've probably forgotten it in my 4am rambling post.

Emma Blackery did a video regarding this aswell which put things quite nicely; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16pVXq7Lscg
^ Probably containing some foul language

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 13:13
Quote: "I can just claim I looked for work and they'll give me money anyway."

See, IMO this is the problem.

What if the government just stopped giving you money to sit about?

Do you know how many talented indie developers out there also work in production lines in factories?, how do you think people start out in life!

I started out in IT training and got sick of being turned down for jobs in favor of clueless girls, so I took a job in a chocolate factory which closed down 1 week later. So I took a job in a veggie processing place. These are jobs that young people nowadays will not do. From there I heard about a small company looking for an IT guy and got started on my actual career. It took a year of a really cruddy job before I even got my foot in the door.

The requirements haven't changed, you find a job 20 times easier if you already have a job, working on a production line is not beneath anyone, taking hand outs while you're fit to work should be beneath all of us. Really, you have to work towards the career you want, nobody is going to hand it to you on a plate, nobody is gonna vouch for you with no experience. Nobody ever starts their career with their first job... your first job ideally should lead to your next job, each time getting closer to the career you want.
You might have all the technical ability in the world, but that doesn't matter if you can't prove the sort of worker you are then no company will take a chance. There is more to the recruitment process than picking the best CV - for one thing nobody trusts a CV, people trust their instincts. Believe me on this - I've had 5 job interviews in my life and gotten 4 jobs from them, I know how to sway em!

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 13:46
Quote: "What if the government just stopped giving you money to sit about?"

Then I guess me and my daughter would have to go to the streets; because in all honesty: There are no jobs here in Sweden. I might get superlucky and find a job that A; Does not require a super education or B require a car or a car license. Or C: Requires experience

But I wont lie; I am expecting to go to school soon so yes; I'm a bit lazy yes.

Wether the system is a problem or not is a matter of definition of ideals though, because I'm one of those people that thinks that people goes first; No matter how lazy or idiotic they are we should, as a society help them: Otherwise, IMO society has failed as a concept.
But that's a bit of my philosophical view regarding society.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 14:18
Quote: "The requirements haven't changed, you find a job 20 times easier if you already have a job, working on a production line is not beneath anyone, taking hand outs while you're fit to work should be beneath all of us"

This is a fair point. Basically, now that I am in full time employment, I get a much better response for other employers and agencies than I did when I was unemployed.

But I understand that it isn't easy finding work and that you are often faced with the old catch-22 of "need experience to get experience". When I was unemployed, it was extremely frustrating, the longer I was unemployed the more my standards dropped. Initially I wanted something my degree would give me - a nice decent starter pay job for a graduate...the kind of job they promised you when they try and sell you university. I was unemployed for a length, managed to get a couple of temporary placements, but in the end I managed to get a next-to-minimum wage job in a call center that makes me want to build a doomsday device and wipe out all of humanity.

But instead of letting it become a dead-end job and accept it as my fate, I've been working on courses - paid off of my own back and I would never have been able to afford it on JSA and the government wouldn't fund it. In fact, I felt being on JSA hindered my attempts at looking for work, because of that catch 22 of 'need experience to get experience' but of course, you're not allowed to work when you're on JSA, so my attempts at trying to get a non-paid work experience placement somewhere was futile...which is annoying because I had the means of getting one - but would have needed money for travel and all sorts. Though I did go off of JSA for a couple of weeks to get in that experience, but wasn't enough to help.

This I felt was ridiculous, but I guess the government doesn't like the idea of people working for free, which I understand is fair enough as businesses would exploit this and get free labour. And it happened when the Job Center decided to have a work experience program (like Tescos), which I did sign up to the moment I knew it existed, but the industries I was interested in weren't up for grabs, it was better than nothing...in fact, I made some pretty decent relationships and had a good time and have something nice on my CV and have a decent reference because of it. Just a shame it was only work experience and not a permanent job placement.

So although I hate my job, but it shows to future employers that I'm keen to work and given our client is a huuuuuuuuge global company, it looks fantastic on my CV, even if it is a lame call centre job. A job I've somehow managed to sneak programming into.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 21:47
Quote: "What if the government just stopped giving you money to sit about "

Sounds like my country, RSA. Sink or swim here unless you're "previously disadvantaged". Crime rate has spun out of control and everything is chaos. Sweden sounds nice. I wouldn't necessarily criticize handouts from the government (since ours wasted millions on the president's private estate which is the size of a miniature town), being someone who lost everything and got abandoned by most of his family back at the beginning of 2013. I was inches from life on the streets but by the grace of good friends, my survival smarts and a lot of luck, I lived to tell the tale.

Be cool, vote nASA (nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association), have more fun here. Be an uncool loser, vote someone else, have a boring forum.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 22:50
Interestingly existential thread, here. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties everyones' having. It reminds me of a quote:

Quote: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

I have spent the last few years trying to find myself and then my place. I don't think anyone has it easy and childhood simply doesn't set you up for it. I'm twenty now, a year and a half into a sturdy, steady job and I still really shudder at the prospect of adulthood.

Personally, my main problem is that I'm a naive bugger, and I have an ego where I feel I have to make a difference in the world. I have to do, make or be something that will change the world for the better and perhaps leave a mark in some way.

I believe that, through everything, humanity as a whole is learning as well. We're like the teenagers learning the ways of our world. Our resources aren't unending, our personalities are strange, varied and sometimes a little weird, and our potential is absolutely devastating and unbelievably beautiful in equal measure. It saddens me that there's so much apathy and negativity in the world, but we all move forward at different paces. To what? Well...I don't know, but I hope for the best.

My personally problem right now is that I can't afford to move out of my parent's house, yet I can't really get promoted or get a raise in my job either. It's a good job for my age, but won't be in 5 years' time unless serious things change, (though it looks like they are right now.)

I can't even begin to imagine an adult life right now, but it'll be a very different and very terrifying experience for me, personally, due to the path I've had to go down.

We evolve beyond the person that we were a minute before. Little by little we advance with each turn. That's how a drill works!

(Props to anyone who gets the above quote, by the way.)
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 23:15 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 23:17
Quote: "(Props to anyone who gets the above quote, by the way.) "

The actual quote, I think, is subjective. For me it means introspection -- which I've done plenty of and gained enough knowledge to know just how much knowledge I lack. My only solace is in my own lunacy which, I believe, is the magical panacea to cure life's troubles.

Edit: I misread "a drill" as "the drill". I thought there was a pun there.

Click my sig and copy-paste this: I vote for nonZero
into that thread if I've been of service to you or you think I'm cute/awesome/etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:21:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:21:23