Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Post Your (I)DE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 17:00 Edited at: 24th Jul 2015 03:48
Doesn't necessarily have to be an integrated development environment, but whatever you use to develop things, post it!

I myself am rather fond of "white on black" themes. It's less straining for the eyes and looks cool at the same time.

My terminal is obviously transparent, again for the coolness factor, but it's also practical, because when you're editing scripts you don't have to ALT+TAB between google and your editor.

And how uncool would it be to not have widgets showing system statistics on the desktop:

I'm running Linux Kubuntu 14.04 using KDE4 with a dark theme as a window manager.

[EDIT] For some reason the images aren't as crisp. I guess they were scaled down for some reason.

wet fuel can't smelt steel memes
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that makes linux look attractive. I'd post my development setup but it's always just vanilla Visual Studio/Xcode so you wouldn't find it interesting.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 18:04
My current IDE(s)

I'll post a link because I don't think posting a 5000 pixel wide image is the best idea

Anyway, I recently switched to QT creator (which is on the right) for C++ development because it has a really nice debugger. For scripting (web stuff and other kinds of scripts) I use Sublime Text 2 which is a really nice editor. I really wish sublime had C++ debugging features . Gimp is running on the left monitor which is what im using for any image editing.

Im using linux aswell but im running Ubuntu 14 with gnome 3 and I can't say that it looks as fancy as comets KDE4 which seems to look really cool. I should look into that at some point (yeay for linux and being able to have many and diffirent desktop managers).

And because linux masterrace, i'll post my terminals aswell. I can't say that they look nearly as cool as comets though.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 18:44
*high fives* Linux ftw! I see you too like dark themes.

QtCreator looks extremely clean and efficient. What kind of refactoring tools does it have? And what debugger does it use as a backend? One thing I highly value in MSVC is the "tree view" of local variables during debugging, which allows you to very efficiently view the structure of all objects in memory. Code::Blocks' debugging features are tedious to use unfortunately.

A friend of mine uses Sublime for Ruby on Rails development and keeps telling me how he doesn't need a GF he's already in love. I'm currently happy with Vi and a terminal because I don't do much script editing.

Python programming I do in PyCharm. If you're getting in to python I highly recommend it.

Quote: "Im using linux aswell but im running Ubuntu 14 with gnome 3"

How is gnome 3 holding up for you? I was previously a gnome 2 user and just couldn't get into gnome 3, which is the reason I use KDE now.

Quote: "And because linux masterrace, i'll post my terminals aswell. I can't say that they look nearly as cool as comets though."

Is that Unigine? How on earth did you get hold of a 30'000$ worth graphics engine?

My terminal uses the ZSH shell. It does everything bash can and throws in some awesome auto-completion and typo correction features. It's also extensible. One such extension is Oh My ZSH, which has a nice collection of themes and cool functionality (like printing the current branch and changes when you're inside a git directory).

Wasp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 21:43
Wow, you guys are quite serious. I just use windows 7 and darkbasic. Maybe one day...

World's worst signature - ever!
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2014 23:42 Edited at: 12th Jun 2014 23:42
I use MSDOS and QBASIC and I don't even have a mouse.

Seriously, Code::Blocks ftw! I tried MS Visual Studio (the free one) and I wasn't comfortable, maybe because I was already using CB which is good because my no matter what OS I'm on, it'll feel like home. I can't post a screeny now (on phone) but shall post tomorrow, though ya'll won't be impressed as I'm a minimalist (I use Fluxbux and... nothing. I removed docky and I'm growing tired of fbpanel so I'll likely remove it too). Oh, maybe I'll show ya'll my XFCE4 desktop instead, it's for when I feel like iCandy. It's still minimalist though. My Win7 HP machine's also minimal.
I am a minimalist who likes elegant simplicity with nothing floating about that ain't functional.

Only losers vote for other parties. Don't be a loser; vote nASA and save yourself the humiliation of being labeled a loser.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 00:27
I was white on black for a little while. Visual Studio 2012 mixed things up too much for what worked for my head. But 2013 made a decent middle ground, which has a theme that's like 2010 but in the style of 2012.

This is what I'm using for ASP.NET

Also, for SQL Server (sensitive data blocked out):

Also I'm getting MySQL setup onto a Linux server, just so I know how. May post my IDE when set up.

However, I do from time to time load up Microsoft Web Matrix, currently using it to experiment with JQuery. I think it's a bit nicer to sandbox with because it's lightweight and I can just create webpages and keep intellosense features. Can just be plain HTML pages to play with JQuery, CSS and JavaScript or can be something server side.

I also had a bit of a play with Ruby On Rails previously, though this is only the demo version of the IDE, but I found myself liking Jetbrains Ruby Mine:

I may get back into learning it sometime.

What I may do, to boost my understanding of things linux related is that I set up a Linux based Ruby on Rails software with an application running from it. But that's in the future, ASP.NET takes priority in terms of learning.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 00:44
Quote: "Is that Unigine? How on earth did you get hold of a 30'000$ worth graphics engine?
"

Oh, that's just the unegine valley benchmark https://unigine.com/products/valley/. It has one of the nicest 3d forests I have ever seen.

Quote: "How is gnome 3 holding up for you? I was previously a gnome 2 user and just couldn't get into gnome 3"

I love gnome 3, it's the default on steam OS and I got used to the window management in it so when I installed ubuntu instead, I stuck with gnome. I have not tried any other desktop managers except cinamon which was terrible on my 13 inch ultrabook because of the small icons. The window "list" is really nice and gives you a great overview of every window.

The default window edges are really "fat" and take up a lot of space which isn't that nice. I should look into other themes for it at some point. The lack of a minimize button is really annoying to since icons on the dekstop become pretty hard to reach.

Quote: "QtCreator looks extremely clean and efficient. What kind of refactoring tools does it have? And what debugger does it use as a backend?"

I think someone told me that it uses any debugger it can find on the system but that could be wrong. The local variable window does have a tree view that is very similar to visual studio. In fact, most of the debugging that I have used seems like it's pretty similar to Visual studio.

Quote: "My terminal uses the ZSH shell."

I think i've heard about it before, I should probably have a look at it at some point

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 01:02
@nonZero - Looking forward to the screeny!

@Seppuku - Jetbrains is awesome, their IDE is powerful and easy to use. I do most of my Python programming in it.

Quote: "The window "list" is really nice and gives you a great overview of every window."

Yes, the window overview is an awesome feature. Got that too in KDE4.

I've tried out a few other WMs, one of them being awesome (that's actually what it's called), which I found interesting to say the least. It's a tiling window manager, meaning the windows don't have a border at all. They simply align themselves next to existing windows and try to fill up as much space as possible.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 01:16 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 02:37
Hmm so I see Steam OS is in BETA? I might over write my installation of Ubuntu with it and see what it's like. Would you say it's worth it? It looks kinda shiny.

[edit]

Setting up MySQL on Linux was a lot less of a headache than expected.

Also, I was not aware Mono supported ASP.NET and had the ability to host ASP.NET sites via Apache or alternatives. Though, it seemed to struggle with MVC projects as not all of the libraries seem to have loaded, but for standard WebForms, it seems sensible.

What I think I will do, is use this as a place to create my Seppuku Arts website. I think it will only show versatility that I am capable of dealing with Linux servers and projects as well as windows. My current project is MVC, so I can go web forms via Linux on Seppuku Arts, may be interesting to see how it goes.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 16:42
Quote: "Got that too in KDE4."

Another reason to have a look at that then

Quote: "Hmm so I see Steam OS is in BETA? I might over write my installation of Ubuntu with it and see what it's like. Would you say it's worth it? It looks kinda shiny.
"

Based on my experience, i'd say it's not worth it. It's essentially a version of debian with steam preinstalled and with some sort of steam big picture autorun I think. I had some huge issues with it when I used it though. First of all, there are 2 users, one called desktop which runs the Gnome 3 desktop manager and has root acess. Then there is the steam user which does not have any form of root acess but has acess to steam. For some reason, steam has to be run by the steam user which means that you can't get root acess and run steam at the same time. That was especially tricky when trying to get software updates to work because you had to log out and back in to be able to run as root within the dekstop enviroment.

I also had an issue with package dependencies which meant that I was unable to have both a 64 bit and 32 bit version of some libraries. To get skype to install (which requires some 32 bit libs) I had uninstall almost everything else. I eventually found a way to get skype running anyway but it wasn't easy. There was alos a lack of preinstalled programs, for some reason, there was no way to install .deb install files within the desktop enviroment. This was almost 6 moths ago so things might have changed though.

I would say that if you really want a Linux distribution for running steam big picture, you should get steam OS. If you want to do more, just get another distro, install gnome3 and install steam and you basicaly have your own steam OS. I guess you would miss out on the "kernel optimisations" in steam OS though.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 17:00
Quote: "I also had an issue with package dependencies which meant that I was unable to have both a 64 bit and 32 bit version of some libraries. To get skype to install (which requires some 32 bit libs) I had uninstall almost everything else."

For future reference: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/saucy/en/man1/dpkg.1.html
If you're on a 64-bit system and require 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same library, you can use:

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 17:04
Quote: "Based on my experience, i'd say it's not worth it. It's essentially a version of debian with steam preinstalled and with some sort of steam big picture autorun I think. I had some huge issues with it when I used it though. First of all, there are 2 users, one called desktop which runs the Gnome 3 desktop manager and has root acess. Then there is the steam user which does not have any form of root acess but has acess to steam. For some reason, steam has to be run by the steam user which means that you can't get root acess and run steam at the same time. That was especially tricky when trying to get software updates to work because you had to log out and back in to be able to run as root within the dekstop enviroment.

I also had an issue with package dependencies which meant that I was unable to have both a 64 bit and 32 bit version of some libraries. To get skype to install (which requires some 32 bit libs) I had uninstall almost everything else. I eventually found a way to get skype running anyway but it wasn't easy. There was alos a lack of preinstalled programs, for some reason, there was no way to install .deb install files within the desktop enviroment. This was almost 6 moths ago so things might have changed though.

I would say that if you really want a Linux distribution for running steam big picture, you should get steam OS. If you want to do more, just get another distro, install gnome3 and install steam and you basicaly have your own steam OS. I guess you would miss out on the "kernel optimisations" in steam OS though.
"

I'll stick to Ubuntu then. I've already got it set up on my laptop. For Steam big picture, I can just have an account on my desktop that boots it on start anyway.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 17:50
@Comet

I did try that and several other things but it didn't help. I was able to get the i386 packages but for some reason, they seemed to conflict with the 64 bit packages for some reason.

Quote: "'ll stick to Ubuntu then. I've already got it set up on my laptop. For Steam big picture, I can just have an account on my desktop that boots it on start anyway."

And that will pretty much give you the same thing as steam OS

Steam OS is perfect for someone who wants a PC-console hybrid for playing games on, but I don't think it fits well as an every day OS. As a bonus, lots of developers seem to realise that Linux is a viable platform thanks to steam OS which is really nice.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 21:15 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 21:31
@TheComet

Quote: "@nonZero - Looking forward to the screeny!"

Here you go:

My Development environment. Warning: Very fancy, may blow your mind.

Be cool, vote nASA (nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association), have more fun here. Be an uncool loser, vote someone else, have a boring forum.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2014 21:18 Edited at: 13th Jun 2014 21:29
and, seriously, attached is a tar of all as it is large.

Preview:

XFCE (minimalist):

Win7 (Minimalist):

Be cool, vote nASA (nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association), have more fun here. Be an uncool loser, vote someone else, have a boring forum.

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2014 17:07
Very fancy QBasic editor. I love the choice of font, and the colours are pleasing to the eye

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 00:20
I too am a fan of dark themed editors, so Here's mine.
VS2013 (Windows)

Code::Blocks (Windows)

Atom (Mac)

Atom isn't an IDE, just a nice text editor. I much prefer it to working in xcode (which I won't bother posting a picture of, since it's just plain xcode).

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 05:20
I haven't been doing too much development other than at work due to lack of motivation/playing around with UE4 Blueprints too much, but when I do I have a couple of tools on each operating system I use.

On Linux(Fedora 19):
Gnome 3 with Openbox WM
Vim (yeah yeah I know, I just like staying in the terminal)
Eclipse Kepler (Much faster than I remember with a lot of flexibility)
QtCreator (quite nice for C++ development, makes Qt development a breeze)

On Windows(W7 64-bit):
Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate (University MSDN FTW)
QtCreator
IntelliJ

That's pretty much it. If people want to see it, I can post screenshots later. I usually just make it dark with white text if the program allows.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 20:27
I am building my own IDE at the moment; but I must say it is moving along slowly. As you can tell, I like easy on the eye dark tones.

It will look more tidy when completed; but I must say it will need a newbie layout when released, it has started of to appear more complicated than it is.

@NonZero
It must be about 18 years since I last used the QBasic IDE.

Who used to go out of their way to run CMD in order to load good old Micrsoft EDIT, even though you could have used Notepad on windows 98? Come on now, be honest; it is more interesting looking than notepad.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 20:43 Edited at: 15th Jun 2014 20:43
White on a black background looks pretty cool, but if you guys are serious about programming you should use a more comfortable colour scheme such as the standard black-on-white. With that dark background you are going to cause yourselves some serious eye strain after a short while.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 21:36
So you enjoy looking at a giant lightbulb for hours on end?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 22:03
Quote: "White on a black background looks pretty cool, but if you guys are serious about programming you should use a more comfortable colour scheme such as the standard black-on-white. With that dark background you are going to cause yourselves some serious eye strain after a short while."

Depends really, I think people's eyes are attuned differently. Have a lot of white light glaring can give people headaches.

But I think regardless of your preferences. Flux is a beautiful thing.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 22:03 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 12:47
Quote: "Who used to go out of their way to run CMD in order to load good old Micrsoft EDIT, even though you could have used Notepad on windows 98? Come on now, be honest; it is more interesting looking than notepad.
"

When I got Win3.1, I was so intimidated by it, I stayed in DOS. I dunno if that counts. I only really started using Windows properly from 98 because it didn't give you much of a choice. I hated the white background with black text (and all bright themes) of GUI OSes in the beginning.
Now it doesn't bother me because I've always had my monitor on the dimmest setting (well, since I was relatively young at least) because I used to be mildly photo-sensitive as a kid and it seems to only get worse as I get older. As for the aesthetics, I've gotten used to the white backgrounds (though I prefer light grey for things I can't dim). 

[My sig is fixed, links work]
Copy-paste, "I vote for nonZero" into this thread to vote for me. If you don't then shame on you!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 22:11
Quote: "White on a black background looks pretty cool, but if you guys are serious about programming you should use a more comfortable colour scheme such as the standard black-on-white. With that dark background you are going to cause yourselves some serious eye strain after a short while."

I prefer the bright on dark colors because it doesn't give me any eye strain (and because it looks cool ). I also think the white text is more readable.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 23:07 Edited at: 15th Jun 2014 23:12
It is quite incredible to think that most of the old Windows programs where bright white and most people would have been using CRT monitors! Those things used to quite literally flame grill your eyes.

Quote: ""White on a black background looks pretty cool, but if you guys are serious about programming you should use a more comfortable colour scheme such as the standard black-on-white. With that dark background you are going to cause yourselves some serious eye strain after a short while."

Why so? For years it felt the other way round. That is quite interesting; black on white is better for your eyes.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2014 23:33
Quote: "...CRT monitors! Those things used to quite literally flame grill your eyes."

Yeah, but they were beautiful. I had a 17" one capable of 1600x1200 res. My first LCD was a downgrade to 1366x768 and the ppi sucked as I could clearly see each pixel (~18"). But my laptops are ~15" 1366x768 and ~14" 1280x800 so LCDs have gotten better. I really miss the CRT though coz emulators looked great on it (handled below 640x480 resolutions). Nothing beats natural CRT monitor interpolation, not even the best filters. That and they were 4:3 AR so old games scaled more or less correctly in FS mode. Nostalgia.

Copy-paste this: I vote for nonZero
into this thread to vote for me. If you don't then shame on you!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 01:21 Edited at: 16th Jun 2014 13:28
I can't find any decisive studies on what font colours are best for the least amount of eye strain, but the general gist seems to be that white on black is better than black on white. At least that's what the 12 forums and 5 news sites claim.

What I did find is the 20-20-20 rule, which states that every 20 minutes you should look away from your computer screen for 20 seconds and focus on something 20 feet away.

Apparently contrast is also very important. If the chosen font's colour is too similar from the background colour (i.e. a low contrast exists), it's worse for your eyes than if the colours are dissimilar. As an example, white on black is better than light-grey on dark-grey.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 10:56
Also to bear in mind with eye strain, there is a condition, I can't remember the name, but with it, only certain colour combinations work and are readable. I remember dealing with a couple at Uni, white on black or black on white wouldn't work for them.

I believe for certain eye problems there's a reason Windows come with 2 types of high contrast settings in the themes, both of which give me a headache, but may be suitable for somebody else.

This is why I would argue that it's different for different people.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 11:30
Quote: "it's different for different people."

Very true, and it depends on the monitor. My formac has too much backlighting, it makes white ultraviolet bright. I could use it to light up my room at night.

Quote: "Quote: "...CRT monitors! Those things used to quite literally flame grill your eyes."
Yeah, but they were beautiful. I had a 17" one capable of 1600x1200 res."

They had sharp resolution indeed. I used to like the Sony Trinitons they had at this design shop I used to work for. My first desktop LCD screen was the Sony SDM-HS74P XBRITE, it was pretty stylish looking back in 2004.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 13:05
I found some interesting information on eye strain here, if anyone is interested:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 13:28
Quote: ""On a computer screen, black text on a white background is best""

Excuse me while I change to a bright theme again

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 16:42 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 12:46
The best theme is:
Foreground - 0x00FF00
Background - 0x000000
This is recommended for epileptics, especially if the screen is bright!

edit: was sarcasm, btw.

Copy-paste, "I vote for nonZero" into this thread to vote for me. If you don't then shame on you!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 19:22 Edited at: 16th Jun 2014 19:29
I like black text on a white background. If it's too bright you can adjust the brightness of the display. I know that the cost of ink is the real reason but books have been black on a white background for rather a long time with very few complaints about eye-strain from user groups

If the screen is set up right it's no strain at all. Your eyes only need a good contrast between text and background to avoid strain.

Pretty dull I'm afraid...

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 21:11 Edited at: 16th Jun 2014 21:11
Quote: "If it's too bright you can adjust the brightness of the display."

Alas, I would be an exception because my display does not have a brightness button lol. It has a backlight adjustment button, it has a range from very bright to florescent bright.

Even though I can reduce the brightness using the control panel, that ends up darkening my graphics work. I switch from programming to graphics consistently, so I have no choice but to darken the code background, even in Visual Studio.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2014 23:04
Alright, folks. This is my IDE:

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 00:41 Edited at: 17th Jun 2014 12:44
Books and their paper is interesting topic baxslash. I admit, the shiny white paper is a problem with light but that slightly brown stuff on paperbacks is great.

@DJD:
Awesome! Write pure code with no bloat! I mean who needs all that fancy crap? Reminds me of the Google Tap prank a while back.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 05:48
I have a thing with my eyes (I believe it's called an astigmatism), and it causes light objects to sort of 'fray' out vertically. So whenever I see lightly colored or white text on a dark or black background, all of the text smears and frays all over the place, and I have to squint if I want to see it. Dark or black text on a white background fixes that issue quite nicely.

If I didn't have my issue though, light text on a dark background would look really nice.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jun 2014 20:51 Edited at: 18th Jun 2014 20:52
Took a screenie of my current IDE with a custom theme (still tweaking some of the colors, but I really dig this!):

link to photo on flickr because can't get to post properly for some reason!

I'm currently learning Python, and PyCharm is a really cool IDE for it. It'll be great for when I do some experiments with Panda3D!

Come check out my new website!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Jun 2014 23:24
Apologies for double-posting, but this is my updated color scheme.

I decided the black background was a little too dark for my tastes, so I made a dark navy blue instead, then just modified the color scheme of the words to match a bit better!

Come check out my new website!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:03:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:03:05