Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How do I get rid of the Google Search widget

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 14:59
I have an Android phone (I probably should've gotten a Windows Phone). I got it because I assumed it would be like my tablet. Turns out Android is:
- Not homogeneous (ie OEM makes their own twisted builds and decides to include/exclude modules at will).
- Is not a Linux OS. It uses the Linux kernel and that's it.
- Is inflexible as hell.
- Is, due to the first point, unstable and, worse still, not repairable by the user like a true Linux distro is. This is because of there is only a system and user account.
- Is inconsistent.
Long story short: ny tablet, 2.xx, was great. My phone, 4.xx is fail mad worse by LG's bloatware (Maybe I should phone Sepp for customer support, lol). My tablet supported UMS, my phone only supports MTP. I cannot get MTP to mount in Linux and I gave up trying. I use FTP over wifi now. /rant

Okay so there is a Google Search widget on my home screen. I cannot remove it. I have no use for it and haven't used it at all apart from the hundred-odd times I inadvertently touch the top of my screen (I've big hands). I want to get rid of this widget so badly because, aside being an impractical nuisance, it really is becoming more of an eyesore each time I look at the home screen. I have a beautiful digital clock which would fir perfectly there.

I have scoured the net and it always comes down to "root your phone dude" or "install an alternative home screen". Well, I almost rooted it but there are several glitches and I don't want to void my warranty until I can take it for repairs (which will take a while and they won't give me a courtesy phone in the meantime either). So rooting is out. Tried a different home screen app and it not only slows the phone down but most of my widgets, including the digital clock and my RAM widget won't work on it (literally doesn't add them when I add->widget). So what are my options here. I also can't download from the Play Store since most stuff freezes before the download completes and I get an error message eventually so I have to use a web service to download APKs fron the Play Store or get stuff fron F-Droid.

Don't suppose anyone can help. I'd actually appreciate comments on any of my gripes, though I mainly just want that search widget gone because the next time I tap it inadvertently, I think I will climb to the roof of my appartment-block and drop this phone while singing "Ha, Ha, You're Dead".

"I was in nASA before it was cool" -- Original nASA Members (nonZero, DJD and TheComet)
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 15:48
Quote: "Not homogeneous (ie OEM makes their own twisted builds and decides to include/exclude modules at will)."

That's probably the main issue with android, ever manufacturer has their own version that is more or less bloated, on top of that some carriers have their own version of the OEMs versions with their own bloatware. That's fine until google releases a new shiny update. First, the OEM has to update their own bloated android version to the new update and when that's finally done, the carriers have to update aswell. Usually that's such a time consuming process that after a year or so, the OEMs stop supporting the phone with updates and you are stuck with whatever android version they bothered to update.

As for the google search widget thingy, the best way to get rid of that should be with a custom launcher. You said you have already tried it but I have not had any issues with the one im using. Try either apex launcher or kk launcher, they should both have the option to remove that widget and a ton of other options aswell.

I know you said you don't want to mess with rooting and flashing custom roms, but that might still be an option. Unless im wrong and unless LG have done something weird, flashing custom roms is almost completley safe. The worst thing that can happen is that you "softbrick" your phone and then you should be able to just revert to a backed up version or reinstall the stock rom. Of course, you should check to make sure your phone doesn't have any weird quirks before you try it but I think it should be fine.

A custom rom will give you a stock android without any bloat from the OEM and much quicker updates than what you would get from the OEM. It might be a bit more unstable depending on the rom but im not sure to what grade. The rom im currently using is working pretty well for my phone.

You can also have a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/phone for a linuxier experience.

Quote: "I have an Android phone (I probably should've gotten a Windows Phone)"

But then you would have a closed operating system and no ability to use custom roms or change launcher. Android might not be as customisable as linux but compared to windowsphone and iOS it's a lot better in that area.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2014 17:08
Quote: "But then you would have a closed operating system and no ability to use custom roms or change launcher."

Yeah, I guess there's that. I'll have a look at other launchers then, maybe they'll work better. Tbh, I haven't tried hard enough with this phone. I was actually going to try rooting it (you mentioned before it was quite safe) but then I found out that my Service Provider (carrier) will void my warranty and, as I mentioned in the OP, this phone needs to be sent in for repairs but I'm stuck until I can borrow a temporary replacement since they usually take two to six weeks even for minor things so I'm waiting until then to fiddle with it. If data wasn't so expensive out here, I'd have not even bought another phone and used Skype for calls. Oh well, next device I get, I'll look for something more PC-like. Preferably running a desktop-like environment with a touchscreen AND a keypad (because typing on this drives me mad).

"I was in nASA before it was cool" -- Original nASA Members (nonZero, DJD and TheComet)
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Root and install Paranoid Android.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 14:46
Thanks. I still have to wait until I've sent it in for repairs though. Oh well. This really is the last LG product I buy.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2014 18:55
Can you not press and hold it, then drag it to the delete icon like every other icon on the home screen?

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2014 22:03
Quote: "Can you not press and hold it, then drag it to the delete icon like every other icon on the home screen?"

Sadly not. Heavens forbid an OEM should allow the user to do anything (though it may actually be and Android 4 thing, IDK).

Your comment reminded me of a line on the sitcom, "The IT Crowd",
Quote: "Have you tried turning it off and on again"

because I'm probably coming across as a n00b. Well, hell, with hand-helds, I'm useless and not one bit ashamed to admit it.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 02:15
Quote: "Sadly not. Heavens forbid an OEM should allow the user to do anything (though it may actually be and Android 4 thing, IDK)."

Yep, I think it's default in android as of android 4.0. Some OEMs remove it but they don't tend to let you readd it eitehr I think the default AOSP launcher allows you to remove it but some OEMs might not like that for whatever reason. Stock android is pretty bad but custom roms and launchers tend to have tons of customisation options...

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 19:47
Feels like mobile OSes reinvented the wheel, tbh. I think Blackberry were on the right track with a hardware keypad and touch screen (marries the advantages of both). If only someone would take that concept and run a normal PC OS with a normal PC alike bootloader just in case then the world would be better.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I think Blackberry were on the right track"

Their current state disagrees with you unfortunately.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2014 23:12
Quote: "Their current state disagrees with you unfortunately."

The operative word in my post being "were".

If they'd done things the way I described, they'd have a solid, albeit niche, base which is better because it's more reliable than popularity since the trends for the masses are always changing, whereas the niche market is usually more reliable and, in some cases, even loyal to a brand.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:48:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:48:01