Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anime (& General Animation) Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 14:57
I'm an animation fan, predominantly anime, as most of you are aware. So I figured that if there's a pony thread here, then there should be an anime one. Then I figured, why not broaden the scope to all animation (this beings a game developer forum).

So, share some of the animated series, movies and featurettes you love or hate and why.

I'll start: I loved Great Teacher Onizuka. It's an older anime but really worth watching. One of the best marriages of drama and comedy of all time.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 16:53 Edited at: 6th Jul 2014 16:53
I particulary enjoyed the style of this little movie here:

Renaissance by Christian Volckman

The style gripped me so much that I actually started a 3D Projekt in its style... dropped it though because I realised that it will never fly without proper shaders reacting to dynamic lighting.

If you enjoy animation, check it out. Its in no way a masterpiece storywise but an entertaining sit nontheless (if that is a word.)

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2014 23:58 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 00:02
Hello, this thread is an official MLP TGC branch office now! Huzzah!

All your TGC are belong to us.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 03:43
I'm genuinely surprised this wasn't made years ago.
I am madly in love with whoever mentions Gundam or Legends of the Galactic Heroes.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 07:31
Quote: "Hello, this thread is an official MLP TGC branch office now! Huzzah!"

No. Please keep the stupid pony stuff inside of its own thread. Thank you.

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 08:35 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 08:37
Quote: "Please keep the stupid pony stuff inside of its own thread."
Ooooh you couldn't have said it better!!!!!! I have a new respect for you.

Of course, folks, I still love the bronies. I just don't love what they love.

As for animated series that I like, I enjoy ASDF Movie and Salad Fingers, both from YouTube. Anyone else here seen those?

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 11:06
Quote: "Ooooh you couldn't have said it better!!!!!! I have a new respect for you.

Of course, folks, I still love the bronies. I just don't love what they love."

and I, you, as well as him who you do.

/\ Try and figure that one out.

As for anime, I only listen to the music

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 12:02
Favorite anime film: Grave of the Fireflies - a very emotional story, even considered great by Roger Ebert; "An emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation". Great movie by Studio Ghibli.
Favorite anime show: Shin Chan (Funimation dub) great if you get a kick out of sarcastic dark humor.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 14:57
but technically, ponies = Animation.. but let's not push it ; )

I meself love anime, but my attention span is so short; Watched 40 eps of naruto and gave up, 50 of bleach and gave up (on a bit more graspable reasons) and I havent touched one piece anime.

Claymore is one of my favorite animes all time Baccano and durarara are great too.

Tried watching FMA but gave up after 40 x)

Fate/Zero is amaazing too.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Anime Song 757

windowsXp
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 23:22 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 23:25
Quote: "Renaissance by Christian Volckman"

Ironically that's been on my "To Watch" list for ages. Time is just so limited. As for making your own feature, it may be closer than you think. There's an animated music video, "Touhou - Bad Apple!", made some years back that was apparently done by an amateur group. There's also a video called "The TV Show" by Kousuke Sugimoto that, iirc, was a one-man prodiction apart from the music. So, don't throw in the towel yet. I don't know if you'll be able to get the exact style you want, but dreams are only out of reach when we don't stretch out to grasp them (I should work that into a quote and sell it to Hallmark).

Quote: "Hello, this thread is an official MLP TGC branch office now! Huzzah!"

If you've a Flux Capacitor, DeLorean and Michael J. Fox*, you can go back in time, stop the first FIM thread from being made and then start this thread instead.
*Michael J. Fox is not required but recommended as he is awesome

Quote: "I am madly in love with whoever mentions Gundam or Legends of the Galactic Heroes."

Strangely, I'm one of the few anime geeks who has yet to watch Gundam or Macross. I have seen Gunbuster and Daibuster [Diebuster?] and enjoyed them both even though Gunbuster's last eps ran out of colour (I believe the studio ran out of money but they pressed on anyway *salute*).

Quote: "Favorite anime film: Grave of the Fireflies - a very emotional story, even considered great by Roger Ebert; "An emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation". Great movie by Studio Ghibli."

Don't think I've Graveyard of the Fireflies, but I've seen many of Ghibli's stuff and I'm a huge fan. I've watched stuff as far back as Totoro to Ponyo (I loved that art-style). My two favourites would have to be Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle
Quote: "Favorite anime show: Shin Chan (Funimation dub) great if you get a kick out of sarcastic dark humor.
"
I'll be honest, I'm not one for dubs. I always watch movies in their original language if I can. There's only one anime I thought the dub was actually really good and that's FLCL.

Quote: "but technically, ponies = Animation.. but let's not push it ; )"

Eeeyup. But there's already a pony thread, although I don't have a problem with the occasional mention (with NO s4 spoilers) if the mods don't, provided it's relevant of course.
Quote: "I meself love anime, but my attention span is so short; Watched 40 eps of naruto and gave up, 50 of bleach and gave up (on a bit more graspable reasons) and I havent touched one piece anime.

Claymore is one of my favorite animes all time Baccano and durarara are great too.

Tried watching FMA but gave up after 40 x)

Fate/Zero is amaazing too.
"

- Claymore was great. Pitty the anime never got another season (to my knowledge) and the ending theme was an awesome tune.
- if (FMA==Fullmetal Alchemist)
Yeah, I sorta enjoyed it but the manga is much better. The anime strays horribly from the plot and leaves out really important things. It's worse than with Elfen Lied (you really should read the manga first, too). I hear that the FMA remake if better, but I don't hold much hope.
- I've seen Fate Stay Night and, despite all the haters, I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to Fate/Zero because everyone says it's 100% better.
- Naruto && Bleach && Dragon Ball Z && Dragon Ball GT = NO.
The problem with all those is they all start off good (Except GT which was pure fail from beginning) but they get drawn out and the main plot arc is put on hold for sub-arcs or just pointless episodes that do nothing, not even towards character development. "Carry-ons" *sigh*. I made it to about episode 120-something of Bleach which I deserve:
(X) Achievement Unlocked: Survived into three-digit episode numbers of Bleach.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 12:33
Quote: "Strangely, I'm one of the few anime geeks who has yet to watch Gundam or Macross. I have seen Gunbuster and Daibuster [Diebuster?] and enjoyed them both even though Gunbuster's last eps ran out of colour (I believe the studio ran out of money but they pressed on anyway *salute*)."

I've began a very long project where I watch every Gundam series and film in release-date order. So far I am onto Double Zeta and I just want to say that it is pretty darn stupid for the first twenty five episodes. However, the prequel (Gundam Zeta) is by far probably one of the best as most memorable shows I've watched so far. I can't wait to put Double Zeta aside and watch Char's Counterattack because I've heard that it is some real good stuff.

Here is one of the openings to Gundam Zeta sang live in 2009. The song was originally sung in 1985 when the singer was 17 years old. I think she was 40 years old when she sung it live and she sounds (and looks) better.

Also I plan on having a break in watching every Gundam where I'll watch Macross and some other mecha like Armored Trooper Votoms or somethin', who knows.

I like Gundam. :3
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 21:00 Edited at: 8th Jul 2014 22:41
Quote: "- I've seen Fate Stay Night and, despite all the haters, I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to Fate/Zero because everyone says it's 100% better."

Never watched FSN - however, my friend read the visual novel of it. I've heard FSN anime is getting a remake though?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 22:38
Animation tends to be more often pervert than certain movies.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2014 00:42
You're so stupid

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2014 12:51
Is it me or artist who has drawn every frame by hand? Don't they "hey, I am drawing something strange..."?

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2014 20:45 Edited at: 9th Jul 2014 20:47
Oh hey, I think I like this thread.

Let's see, I've watched: FLCL, Death Note, the obligatory Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden, read Bleach, read a lot of One Piece, the also obligatory Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Dragonball GT, Elfen Lied, FMA, FMA: Brotherhood, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Soul Eater, Deadman Wonderland, Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin), Avatar: The Last Airbender, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, Samurai Champloo, Black Butler, D Gray-Man, Chobits, and blah, I'm sure there's a few more I've left out. As you can tell, I'm pretty partial to Shonen-type anime.

These are the ones I've watched to completion, or as far as they've been developed so far. I like to watch with subtitles if it's possible, because more often than not, the English voice actors have the main character sounding annoying for some reason.

My all time favorites from that list would be FLCL, Death Note, and Cowboy Bebop. Usually I read the manga before watching the anime as well, just so I can spot the differences. I also like to see how well they can animate the story that's been presented in frames.

But that's just anime that I like. I love Adventure Time, it's one of the most clever shows I've ever seen, and it's so much fun to watch.

[edit] Oh yeah, I never watched a single episode of Gundam or any series relating to Gundam. I just never got around to it.
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 07:05
Quote: "My all time favorites from that list would be FLCL"

You should probably try and find yourself the manga (physically, duh). It's a very wonderful piece, it is as crudely drawn as it is crudely written.
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 08:35
It's actually pretty difficult to buy manga where I live. The nearest book store that actually carries manga is about two hours away, and even then, all they carry is graphic novels and hundreds of chapters of Naruto. I'd have to order online, but there are issues with my post office and whatnot.

As much as I love owning physical copies, sometimes you just have to settle for, er, other means. Not that I don't own manga or graphic novels. I have Scott Pilgrim and Death Note box sets sitting on my shelf right now, as well as a few other volumes of random other series.

Either way, I do need to read the FLCL manga. I've heard there were a few things in the manga that made more sense than the anime.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 09:01
Movies:
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D / Bloodlust
Wicked City
Afro Samurai
Lensman
Ghost in the Shell
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance

TV Series:
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing
Avatar: The Last Airbender (Legend of Korra is ok, but I don't think it's nearly as good)

Honorable Mentions:
Fist of the North Star (TV Series)
Full Metal Alchemist

I could never sit through Trigun, it's too quirky and silly like a children's cartoon. All the Gundam shows bore me.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 20:40
Quote: "It's actually pretty difficult to buy manga where I live."

Ah, that kinda blows... Resorting to buying them from the Internet is also a good alternative, just not as rewarding as finding it in a store and buying it though, sometimes stores might actually have stuff that is out of print too.

In the United Kingdom we have Waterstones which is a large bookstore franchise that usually stocks some manga in all of their stores, however how good the manga is depends on who works in the store. I figured theres one store in Bury (Which is near me) that has a lot of good manga in it. Other stores in Manchester and other places are not as good. Then you have WH Smiths which also stock manga, at higher prices and usually more mainstream (Naruto, Bleach, all that garbage that no one worth their nuts are interested in) stuff but every now and then you might find something you're after. I also happen to know a few specialty stores in Blackburn and Manchester that sell a lot of good manga for cheap prices too.

Quote: "I have [...] Death Note box sets sitting on my shelf right now"

I too also have the box set, I think I picked it up for 40 quid back in February or so and I have no intentions of either reading it or watching it, it's just there to make my collection bigger!
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 20:48
Modern anime is an unstppable stream of complete junk.

I mostly prefer animation like this:

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 10:11 Edited at: 11th Jul 2014 10:12
For me.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Including Brotherhood (actually, I preferred Brotherhood)
Death Note
Eden of the East
Hellsing
Neon Genesis Evangelion - including rebuild
Ghost in the Shell
Pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli
Spongebob Squarepants
South Park
Family Guy

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 11:00 Edited at: 11th Jul 2014 11:01

Sounding animation is "Future Boy Conan".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Boy_Conan

windowsXp
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2014 09:47
I used to be a big fan of the "Restaurant's Trembling Chef: Sharp Knives Make You Say Ouch" animated series. Pretty good.

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 14:07 Edited at: 7th Aug 2014 17:37
Heidi

Heidi, Girl of the Alps
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi,_Girl_of_the_Alps

windowsXp
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 02:38
I always wanted to get into animation, did some flash but never had the patience to actually finish any of my work. I am thinking of learning 3d stuff because it seems that it will make animation process a lot easier. Like if i want to do a car-chase sequence. it would be easier for me to have one 3d model of a car of which i can take screenshots from different angles, rather than draw each frame of a car flipping over. Also 3d cellshading just looks cool.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 20:52 Edited at: 18th Jul 2014 20:56
I say you what: modern cartoons' vehicles are 3d. When everythig else could be hand drawn or flash-based.

this ship is 3d:

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 22:17
I guess it is related but I'm going to a exposition/convention tomorrow (Manchester MCM, basically just a glorified dealers market). It's a last minute thing and I wasn't really bothered with it until now since I could actually cop some gunpla model kits there. I think there will be at least two vendors there that will be selling gunpla but I genuinely don't know what kits they'll have in stock so we'll have to see. ;~;
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 23:29
Quote: "I say you what: modern cartoons' vehicles are 3d. When everythig else could be hand drawn or flash-based."

A LOT in anime is 3d nowadays, and very very often it's very obvious and sloppily made.
That ship does not o in that cathegory though; It's just like it should be.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 03:47
I on the other hand always love seeing 3d in cartoons. Invader zim is a good example, there is lots of 3d in there mixed in with regular 2d animation. Also in MLP FIM The episode about timberwolves i thought the 3d looked very good. Despite it sticking out like a sore thumb i dont think they could have made the 2d wolves look nearly as good. They explained it by saying that it would be much harder to make the scenes 2d with such complex timberwolf designs.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 21:28 Edited at: 19th Jul 2014 22:02
Couple of pictures for FMA fans.

And look what happens when you stick a wig on a dog.

I have no remorse.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 03:14
Quote: "I on the other hand always love seeing 3d in cartoons."

I love it; When it's done properly.

In Fate Zero it's horrible for example, but if they actually try to make it fit in, with toon shaders and all then i'm all aboard. (Or in Accel world where they make it fit in in another way)

@ Seppuku; You horrible person >:

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 16:30
Another example of where 3D is blatantly obvious would be Ghost in The Shell 2: Innocence. Great animation and 3D and everything but the 3D stood out too much.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 19:14
I have to agree though I don't mind 3D too much if it doesn't look out of place. All moving background props, vehicles and the like are easier to do in 3D and studios save a small fortune since each frame doesn't need drawing.
Looks aside, the other give-away is the FPS on the 3D looks different so the motion's all wrong.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 22:10
Speaking of 3D looking out of place...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYWw0AzMAs

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 18:44
Yuck! Awful.

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 07:23 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 15:55
Evangelion's director.( Hideaki Anno )

Extra Curricular Lesson with Hideaki Anno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0qbJAQhgk

windowsXp
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 14:51 Edited at: 6th Aug 2014 14:55
Quote: "Claymore is one of my favorite animes all time "

Yes! I love this anime. When I first started watching I didn't think much of it...until the flashback scene. I literally spit out my drink at the end of that!

My kids are obsessed with Jackie Chan Adventures and have been engaging in netflix marathons every weekend.

Another great anime that I just started watching, Knights of Sidonia. Produced by Netflix. It has a weird style and fusion of 3D and 2D, but the story keeps you interested. Very polished, especially the 'gundams'.

Also started watching Kill La Kill...yaaaa. Think FLCL on drugs...yes, you read that right, FLCL on DRUGS.

I myself prefer the one season style animes. 12 episodes to tell an awesome story and you're done. I have completed a few 'drawn out' animes, Dragonball Z, FMA(both series), Naruto...but others like One Piece and Fairy Tail, I really get into them and than after about 50 episodes I just stop watching them. Sad thing is I have this weird OCD mentality that if it's been a while since I've watched a series, I HAVE to re watch it all over again from the beginning before watching new episodes.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 17:12
Here's one for all you Futurama fans.

I actually need to pick up some new anime, might look at some of the stuff folks have posted.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 19:10
Quote: "I myself prefer the one season style animes. 12 episodes to tell an awesome story and you're done. I have completed a few 'drawn out' animes, Dragonball Z, FMA(both series), Naruto...but others like One Piece and Fairy Tail, I really get into them and than after about 50 episodes I just stop watching them."

This, so this. after around 50 eps it's like "nope"

thus, i prefer the 12-24 ep animes (And they're free to make a "sequel" to it, but dont make it one long adventure, so to say)

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 01:27
Quote: "one long adventure"

who said onepiece? it is not long yarrrrr

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 02:21
Well.. One piece seems to work, it doesnt really loose focus.
Take, Bleach for example; They set off trying to save rukia and once they do (after 50 episodes) they reveal that THE PLOT THICKEN- and i'm out of there.

One piece sets out with; IMMAH BE THE BEST PIRATE and doesnt really deviate from that; From what little i've seen.
It works better than Naruto and Bleach IMO atleast.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 16:27
Why do you expect something from animes for children? Watch some 16+

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 18:53
Quote: "Why do you expect something from animes for children?"

I watch my little pony.. and that is the response you give me.. like srsly? X)
Yes, ofc I watch more "adult" animes, but adult doesnt necessarily mean endless gore and nudity.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 01:16 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 02:21
Childerens cartoons are not what they used to be. Sure some subtuly walk on a thin line on whats acceptable in a kids cartoon these days. For example this:

an old Russian cartoon serieries from late 90s based on childerens novels. while the cartoon had its moments of violence like this car chase scene there, showing blood was a line that was not to be crossed. (guns fight scenes and capitalism were ok back then) Altho i read the books this cartoon was based on when i was a kid and the books had one of the charecters getting getting shot and there was blood. I feel as tho childerens cartoons are sliding toward a more "cartoons for babies" direction because its like adults shouldnt be interested in something so childish as cartoons.

On another note, Personally what i really love is when the artists dont get lazy with the designs of things in their cartoons. Making something as insignificant as a car look cool even if it dosent always matter if it looks cool or not.

One of the other examples i cant find good pictures of is Lunas Chariot from MLP looks really awesome (really want to see it again in the show) Or invaider Zim- the world is really detailed and just every little thing like vehicles, spaceships and technology in it look really cool. (yes there are lazy designs in invader zim as well but they are there more as a satire joke at how lazy degraded the society became)

On the contrary i hate it when animators get lazy with designs. My reason for watching cartoons is mostly for the cool visuals rather than charecters and story. Thats why i would rather watch something like Invader Zim than Spongebob.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 01:36
Quote: "Thats why i would rather watch something like Invader Zim than Spongebob."

*Uses a example with great characters against a example of really horrible characters to prove point about graphics over characters*
You did WHAT.

PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 01:50 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 01:52
LOL thats not exactly what i mean. I am talking stricly about the aspect of eye-candy. As for charecters. Both spongebob and Zim have good charecters but they are just hard to compare as they are very different. If i had my way, i would make spongebob drawn like some 1950s bioshock-style diselpunk as the popular theory goes that the setting- Bikini bottom is actually a result of nuclear tests in the pacific. Just for the more visually pleasing viewing experience. I mean thats what cartoons are made for eyecandy right?

[edit] not that Spongebob isnt already 1950s diselpunk, i would just make it look cooler. I just think the world in spongebob has a lazy design.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 03:34
I love Spongebob! Can't wait for the new movie.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 22:23 Edited at: 14th Aug 2014 22:24
I am currently watching Black Butler. It's set in England during Sherlock Holm's time (but he's not in it). A young boy has a demon as a butler and he does investigations in London's underworld as "The Queen's guard dog". It's just awesome. Book of Circus is currently airing but that is a separate story.

The Japanese name contains a bad English word in the middle and the forum wont let me post it...

I am a huge anime fan BTW

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:44:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:44:20