Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] Super Footie - Online Multiplayer Sports Game

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2014 23:47 Edited at: 27th Jul 2014 12:22
Hey guys,

the alpha demo of my new game Super Footie is finally online since today:

www.SuperFootie.com

You can play it directly in your browser using the Unity Web Player (downloadable versions will follow).
Give it a try, report bugs and post your thoughts on the concept. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Gameplay:
Super Footie is an online multiplayer game with controls similar to First-Person-Shooters. You control a single football player and try to beat the opposing team by scoring incredible goals.

Instructions:
Shooting is not that easy for beginners. I'll give a quick overview of the mechanic:

1) Make sure you are in first-person view (press V to change). This makes it much easier to aim at the ball.
2) Aim at the ball. Your crosshair will turn brighter.
3) Hold down the left mouse button. While you press down, your kick force will increase.
4) Aim in the direction you want to shoot while still holding the left mouse button down.
5) Let the mouse button go if you feel your kicking force is strong enough. If the ball is still in reach of your player (about 2 meters) it will take off and fly in the direction you where aiming at.
6) The ball trajectory is mainly influenced by the force you applied. It will also fly a curve based on the difference of the initial aim angle (when you first held left mouse button down on the ball) and the final aim angle (when you let the shot go off).

I'll try to keep this thread updated with more information about the development.

Have fun!

Play Super Footie Online: SuperFootie.com

Development News: Forum Thread
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 00:13
I played around with it for a few minutes but never got around to testing the multiplayer. First I thought the player was slow, then I found the sprint key. Then I wondered why I couldn't kick the ball, and then I held down the mouse button when the crosshair lit up. After working those things out, it's actually pretty cool. For an alpha build, I even noticed things like ball curve in midair and being able to make the ball go airborne if you jumped while kicking.

Just a suggestion here, but I had a lot of trouble just keeping control of the ball. Even just rolling it down the field without any defenders was sort of difficult, but this might feel different with an actual opposing team with the same difficulties.

Just my two cents. You were probably looking for more input on the multiplayer functionality, but I'm a nerd, so friends are hard to come by.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 00:22 Edited at: 10th Jul 2014 00:24
Hey thanks for trying!

I know it's still pretty rough but I plan to iterate quickly on this which is only possible because of such creative feedback like yours!
You can have a look at all the controls in the (yet tiny) FAQ.
The kicking is basically the core gameplay element at this point. Making goals and long passes with curved balls xan be very satisfying and requires some skill and practice.

I also have a certain game mechanic in mind for better ball control and dribbling while running.

There is a master server already setup for listing running games to play against strangers if you have nö friends around

Visit my blog: sebastianpauli.tumblr.com
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 11:38
Hi folks,

I just updated the game to version 0.011:

* Added basic sound effects
* Improved graphics (new lighting shader)
* Added more detail to the players - they now have a nose!

Have fun!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 15:55
Something tells me you like Football a little bit

I like the idea of controlling 1 player in the game. I did try it, I managed to move around with wasd and jump but I could not turn with the mouse or shoot?

I will have another go later.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 20:04 Edited at: 10th Jul 2014 20:06
Yeah I do like football, as well as classic football games like Super Soccer or ISS

Thanks for playing!
I should definitely explain the controls a bit more. Gonna write about it tomorrow. There is already a short overview on the FAQ page. Maybe you didn't lock the mouse cursor? Press C to toggle the cursor and look around.

I will try to organize a few matches with more people in the next days for testing and recording purposes.
Stay tuned!

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 12:54 Edited at: 11th Jul 2014 14:01
New Update Online (v0.012)!

* A lot of networking improvements
* Text messaging working
* Names showing above players
* Quick ingame help by pressing F1
* Can now move in mid-air (may revert back to uncontrollable in the future)
* Proper game restart after quitting running game

Play the game online at SuperFootie.com!

P.S.:
The server/host list is not updated automatically on startup yet - remember to press "Refresh List" to see running games!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I just don't understand how to kick the ball, nothing happens when I click. It very rarely results in a small movement forward of the ball accompanied by a sound but that's it!
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 16:16 Edited at: 11th Jul 2014 16:26
Ok just had a few matches against Matty H. A few notes from the experience:

* It's not obvious that there is a first-person view where you have a crosshair! That is actually how it's meant to be played. Press V to change views. Still gonna improve the 3rd-person view though.
* You can always look up the controls by pressing F1.
* Network latency and framerate seems to be fluid so far, need to try out with more players.
* Need to be able to write more than 30 characters in a text message.
* There must be an indicator for when the ball is out of reach to kick (about 2 meters from your player).
* There should be a speed penalty for dribbling players so that defenders can catch up.

Thanks for the help Matty H!

And thanks for trying Indicium! I know it's tough for beginners. I'll try to sum up the shooting mechanic and post it on the top post here.

Edit:
Updated the first post with shooting instructions!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2014 23:39
I totally get what you are doing with this, I think the shooting mechanic will be really, really, really great once it is ironed out a little.

It seems really complicated and hard to shoot when you first try it, but with a few more visual cue's to help the user(power bar etc) I think it will be awesome.

If you have not tried it then you basically target the ball by clicking on it, then point at the goal and let go. It gives you a great sense of control, unlike modern popular football games, when you score in those you feel like you had a little something to do with it but ultimately it is pretty random if your shot goes in or not(power control aside).

Another suggestion, I think when the user targets the ball it should become under his control to some extent, since you need to look up at the goal/player to shoot/pass it would help if there was a little assistance keeping the ball at your feet, since you can't look in both places at once.

I will try to play a little every couple of days or so, great work so far

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2014 19:07
Hey folks,

just uploaded a new version:

* implemented basic power bar for kicking
* auto-refresh host list on start up
* longer text messages
* improved ball kicking

Have fun!

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 02:38 Edited at: 15th Jul 2014 10:34
DEUTSCHLAAAND!!!

+

Edit: Sorry, for the double post, couldn't resist

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 16:17
Hey Pauli, please don't double post.

Thanks

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 10:39 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 13:11
New update online:

* Basic dribbling (hold down right mouse button while ball is in reach to control it without looking at it)
* Tap right mouse button once at ball in reach to stop it
* You can also shoot while dribbling without looking at the ball now
* Small speed penalty for players when running against the ball (to make defending easier)
* crosshair/powerbar improvements
* auto refresh host list at startup finally works

I will also create an instructional video soon to explain the mechanics more in depth. Stay tuned.

Have fun!

Edit:

Just uploaded another update:

* New drag-to-dribble mechanic: hold right mouse button while the ball is in reach and drag it to move it around
* You can now lob the ball up by doing a short right click on the ball
* Improved chatting: team colors and better layout

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 19:34
Hey guys,
I uploaded a new version few days ago.

Most important changes:
* New grass shader
* Improved dribbling

And here is a tutorial video with lots of gameplay:

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 21:30
I just told you not to double post _Pauli_!

I know that you want to keep people up to date on your game, but if everyone was doing this in Geek Culture, then it would become a bit of a mess.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:22:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:22:19