Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Come play my new version of WordTrix prototype!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 11:10
Hi all,

I've been remaking WordTrix using Haxe and recently compiled it to a SWF file for testers. Every few days I update it with a new feature here and there. If any of you remember, this game was originally made in DBP over 10 years ago, then I made a Direct3D version in C++, then I made it into an iPhone app with Objective-C in 2009. Finally this version will be compiled out to iOS, Android, PC, and Mac.

You use the keyboard controls: LEFT, RIGHT, and DOWN. The game used to have the piece fall down automatically, but now it's a more casual pace and you can take as long as you like to place your letter.

The art is OLD art from the iPhone SKU. My artist is busy working on a brand new art-style for the game. I'm also considering making this version hooked into Facebook so you can challenge friends with timed games and have online high scores.

Please let me know what you think And turn down your volume because the first sound effect after hitting Play is kind of loud

http://www.wordtrix.com/new

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 14:03
I like it, very neat! - I'm still terrible at it though. I wonder though if it would look a little better with a new word tile graphic, maybe something more modern... dare I say it a bit more scrabbley.

I am the one who knocks...
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 14:19
Glad to see Wordtrix still lives!

The current version is a little slow for me. I stopped playing after about 15 minutes because it felt like I could keep going forever. After it added 2 extra lines of letters, I was quickly back to being "in control" of the board.

Make it a bit tougher, faster, and it will be looking good!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 16:08
Re VanB's comment, David Gervais has lots of tiles like this..

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 19:38
Thanks for the feedback!

Ever since making the game easier by not having the letters fall on their own (ala Tetris), I'm still trying to figure out ways to make the game more difficult. Maybe every time you go without forming a word after 3-5 turns a new row will appear?

About the art: Those graphics by David Gervais are brilliant! If the original WordTrix artist decides to not work on the project with me then I'll definitely come here for my tiles and backgrounds

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 07:22
It lives.. i've was planning to port the PB version to JS/HTML5.. might not bother now

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 18:15
Quote: "It lives.. i've was planning to port the PB version to JS/HTML5.. might not bother now"

Hi Kevin! I made a game called WordZap for PB, but not WordTrix! You can output for JS/HTML5 if you have the time By the way you should rename it from WordZap to something else, because I was threatened with a lawsuit over the name from its trademark holder. Oops

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2014 23:46
Have to agree with BatVink that it is a bit too slow. I remember old version from years ago was much more fun to play.

The blue bonus thingy appears quite a lot as well, maybe a bit too much, although maybe I was just lucky.

Would be nice if the words found could somehow be listed and scroll up/fade off the screen. Quite a few times I got a big word by accident and had no way of knowing what it was.

And yes, that first sound after hitting play is pretty loud!

Keep up the good work.

Boo!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 19:00
Quote: "Have to agree with BatVink that it is a bit too slow. I remember old version from years ago was much more fun to play."

Yah, the original version had the block continuously falling and it would increase speed, like Tetris. The problem with that is in the advanced stages the player would just tend to randomly swipe the letters into any and all existing slots and hope to get word combinations without planning any kind of strategy.

I believe that considering many of you are fans of the original and appreciate the way it used to work, I will incorporate a 'classic' mode that plays like the original. The block will fall slowly and increase with speed.

Quote: "The blue bonus thingy appears quite a lot as well, maybe a bit too much, although maybe I was just lucky."

Yes that should come up every 10 turns at the moment, whereas in the original it would come up after finding 5 words. I like the way it worked in the original so I'll be tweaking it.

Quote: "Would be nice if the words found could somehow be listed and scroll up/fade off the screen. Quite a few times I got a big word by accident and had no way of knowing what it was."

Yes, with more screen real estate I'd like to devise a way to show a list of the words. Maybe the pause screen can show the last 5 words found?

Thanks again for your feedback!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the word detection needs a little work. I dropped F on top of BEE aligned vertically, with B at the bottom and the game opted to detected FEE rather than BEEF.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 03:10
Quote: "I think the word detection needs a little work. I dropped F on top of BEE aligned vertically, with B at the bottom and the game opted to detected FEE rather than BEEF."

@Indicium - The game finds words left-right and up-down, not right-left or down-up.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The game finds words left-right and up-down, not right-left or down-up."

Oh I see, I'd assumed it found works in any direction. Thanks for the clarification.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:02:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:02:13