Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How NOT to grill a hotdog

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 08:49 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 08:49
Attempted to grill a few hotdogs this evening and the grill blew back all up my arm when I ignited it. 1st degree burns up my whole arm (like a bad sunburn) and 2nd degree all over my hand. The initial blast is what took the skin off immediately, the rest blistered up at the hospital, where I sat and waited for hours. About 6 hours really, which is ridiculous for someone who needs to see the burn unit.

It looks worse in person than in the pic. A few shots of dilaudid and a prescription of percocet. And so far, it still feels like its on fire. What really sucks though is now that it's been dressed, I can't feel a cold ice pack anymore which was the only thing that was numbing the pain.

This Friday, I'm scheduled to take the fireman's mile (the physical portion of my test to get into the academy; 10 events). Hopefully I can reschedule the test. If not, friday is really gonna suck.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 09:06
Ouch! Looks nasty.
Getting burnt really sucks.

Bad luck mate. Hope it heals quickly and cleanly.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 09:07
Ouch, looks painful! What did you do, leave the gas running for like 2 hours before igniting it?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 12:14
Ouch!

I'd be tempted to take the dressing off sometimes, let it dry up and scab up - sounds horrible but it's better to have a load of scabs than an open wound. They dress burns to keep them clean, but it's not the best way for them to heal.

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 14:36
I'll have a checkup on friday and we'll see how it looks then.

It was actually a charcoal grill. Im not sure what happened, i've never had it blow back like that before. I will so though I may be throwing matches for awhile before I feel like using a lighter close hand again.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 14:46 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 14:47
Quote: "It was actually a charcoal grill. Im not sure what happened, i've never had it blow back like that before. I will so though I may be throwing matches for awhile before I feel like using a lighter close hand again."

The trick is to actually not use lighter fluid. It makes your food gross anyway. Here's how to light a charcoal grill:

If you don't want to destroy your bag you can use newspapers, napkins, etc.

Interestingly he only lights up 3 bricks and then poors the rest on, but actually you can stack all your bricks over the little stack of sticks and paper if you'd rather.

Anyway, best of luck on your way to recovery, looks harsh!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 17:47 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 17:48
I been grilling this way for a long time. And the lighter fluid isnt going to hurt the food if you wait to put your food on. Once they've turned white, then you put food on, the fluid has long since burned off by then.

I just realized that washing dishes may be a pain, I have no dish washer so its all by hand...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 18:57
Get well soon Phaelax!

Reminds me when having worked in some takeaways, the shear heat we have to deal with, surprised our skin does not just turn to stone sometimes... like when baking we stick our arms into a hot stone oven just to bake some bread...

Never use fluids on BBQ's, and if you do, always use something extended like a rolled up newspaper or put the newspaper on the end of a stick... and always bend down below the fire as if there is any wind or a freak gust of wind in your directions, you can say good bye to your eye brows

[video] LF can make your food greasy?

Also try some aloe vera cream once the worst of the burns have passed...

Just watched the rest of that video and can honestly say... he needs a Better BBQ stand , also a good idea instead of using twigs and even paper...

Use a blow torch to get one stone going and as he did pile them on, get the stone burning outside the BBQ pot, if you have that type and stoke it like mad, get some rapid air going past it to ignite its internal fuel capacity, use metal tongs to move it to your BBQ stand and place flaming into the middle and pile on top the rest of the stones, then stoke it some more but on a lesser strength...

When I worked in some kitchens, we used a mix of methods [I have worked in a lot of kitchens through the years helping friends get their businesses going]...

I miss the old days

Never had a burn yet...

So I can guess you will not be put off doing a BBQ in future, just learn from this one time and push on

Good Luck with the academy! just push on if you have to be there on Friday!

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 19:19
Quote: "I been grilling this way for a long time."

I can see it's worked out well for you lol. If you want a fast lighting bbq, just get a gas grill, you can ignite it safely.

You can claim all you want that the lighter fuel smell doesn't transfer to the food but it does. Anyway, that's kind of beside the point though isn't it? I mean your hand is proof that you shouldn't use liquid fuels XD

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 20:00 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 20:01
Wait what, you poured a liquefied gas on it?

Quote: "If you want a fast lighting bbq, just get a gas grill, you can ignite it safely."

That misses the point of a BBQ though doesn't it?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 22:02
Phaelax wrote: "I just realized that washing dishes may be a pain, I have no dish washer so its all by hand..."

Do yourself a favor and go buy paper plates and plastic ware until your hand heals up, instead of having to worry about washing anymore dishes. Burns suck, and feel 10x worse when under warm water!

Hope you feel better!

Come check out my new website!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 23:58 Edited at: 17th Jul 2014 23:58
Quote: "That misses the point of a BBQ though doesn't it? "

Yeah, but you can place briquettes along the flames if it's designed for it. Or even better use the nice wood briquettes. I personally prefer the gas grill for 10 minute hotdogs, but I break out the charcoal for a nice gathering.

Quote: " Do yourself a favor and go buy paper plates and plastic ware until your hand heals up, instead of having to worry about washing anymore dishes. Burns suck, and feel 10x worse when under warm water!"

Seconded

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 01:20
Quote: "Do yourself a favor and go buy paper plates and plastic ware "

Good idea. I have some left over from 4th of july party.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 07:30
So it's been about 5 days now, and I think it looks worse than the first day! My arm is better, just peeling (more like flaking off) like a sunburn would. But my hand still bleeds a little, which I didn't expect after this long. My next check up isn't until friday, but I might call them before that.

http://imgur.com/FlO43H3

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 18:18
Looks like you've had it rough!

I know this may sound crazy, but raw bees' wax/honey (from a health shop or pharmacy) works surprisingly well to stop infections. Mercurochrome also works well to dry a wound out once you're ready to take off the dressing. The most important thing is to try and keep the microbes away. I had a dog bite a couple of years back and used the bees' wax for the wet dressing after the stuff I got at hospital did sweet blow all. As for Mercurochrome, it's my default for all external injuries (just don't spill it on anything, it stains).

Anyway, hope you recover soon.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 19:56
Peroxide is usually my go to solution for when I get scrapes or whatever. Then if there's any redness and swelling around the area, I'll put on some neosporin, which I put on it last night. It had mixed results. The burn area looks a lot better I think, the redness went down a lot. On the downside, neosporin doesn't prevent the dressing from sticking like the silvadene does.

The most annoying part is now that my arm is healing and the dead skin flaking off, it itches all the time!

I didn't know you could get Mercurochrome anymore because it uses mercury. It was always the iodine when I was a kid.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 19:59
The cool thing is you can use those shots of your hand for texture modelling... Get as many shots as you can >.<

I use Aloe Vera creams now for almost everything...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 02:07
Do not use peroxide! It can severely scar the area and actually is a very poor antimicrobial.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/07/12/vreeman.carroll.medical.myths/

Best to use alcohol or a doctor prescribed medication.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 07:35
Well for the burn I am, peroxide is mainly for my skating mishaps.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 20:14
I don't think peroxide is recommended for skating mishaps either. In fact Hydrogen Peroxide is rather dangerous (at higher levels of concentration above 3%) to have around the house, considering it can blind you if it gets in your eyes or kill you if swallowed. Just use alcohol, peroxide is much less effective and leaves scarring. At least be responsible and not tell people in a public forum that you use it because someone else might think it's a good idea to use it!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 21:45
You'd think a mere oxygen atom and a water molecule joined together in a chemoromantic marriage (they have chemistry, yo) would be so much more innocent.

But, let's face it, the oxygen atom desperately wants a divorce from the water molecule. It will attach to anything willing to take it.

Silly oxidizing agents.

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 10:52
Quote: "they have chemistry, yo"

hahaha, laughed out loud there

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 01:05
Quote: "The trick is to actually not use lighter fluid. It makes your food gross anyway. Here's how to light a charcoal grill:"

Dry sticks, paper and a match always work fine for me. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use lighter fuel or any other liquid fire accelerant to light a simple charcoal BBQ.

All the same, I hope the injuries heal properly Phaelax. Sounds very uncomfortable.

I assume you did this outdoors ...