Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Raspberry PI

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 13:41
After I posted some videos of a raspberry pi powered robot im working on in the posting competition, MrValentine suggested that I should make a WIP thread of it. I figgured a general discussion thread about the RPi is more interesting and will still keep it more structured than some random posts in the posting competition.

If you have anything interesting about the raspberry PI, feel free to post it here.

As I said, im working on a robot / RC car that is controlled by the Raspberry PI. These are the 2 videos that I made of it so far:
First video

Second video

The robot has 2 servos that run it, one regular servo that controlls the angle of the front wheels for turing and a "continuous rotation" servo that drives the back wheels. Both of them are controlled using software pulse width modulation on the PI. That works fine for now but if the CPU is bussy doing other things, the timing of the PWM might become off which will result in jerky servo movement. The PI is powered using a USB battery pack and the servos are powered using a 7.2V 2000mAh battery which gets regulated down to 6V to prevent damage to the servos.

I use SSH to steer the robot which isn't optimal, you have to type the commands and press Enter every time you want the robot to do something, to change that im working on a way to control it using websockets instead.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 14:45
Keeping track of this, thanks again!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 00:08
Last night I pointed my Raspberry PI camera out of my window and captured 2 images per minute for 7 hours and this timelapse is the result.

Unfortunley the quality is pretty terrible due to the camera taking pictures through a pretty dirty window, but that was hard to spot in the middle of the night when it's dark outside

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 00:22
Very Nice

Try from Dusk to Dawn or better yet, 24 hours ^^

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 00:51
Yep, i'll have to do something like that at some point. I know how to do it now so it will probably be easier next time. I should also look into a safe way to keep it outdoors so I don't have to record through a window

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 02:38
Looking forward to it, but keep it safe... keep it hidden...

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 20:21
Now that is cool! It makes me want to learn.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 20:56
It was actually a lot easier than I had thought. I found some good electronics tutorials on youtube which showed the basics of it 2 weeks ago. I was able to power some LED's using the PI, then I found an RGB LED and got that working. I then found some more tutorials, like how to controll a servo and went from there. Also, it seems like electronics are a lot more durable than I had thought. I have plugged things in on the wrong pins on the pi 3 or 4 times and nothing seems to have been damaged and I have accidentally run the servos on 7-8 volts instead of 6 without issues

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 16:21
I just stuck a load of SNES and Genesis roms on mine, bought some USB SNES controllers, and made it into a little retro game thing to plug into my TV and play Sensible Soccer

Hell, it's still better than Fifa!

I am the one who knocks...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 02:24:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 02:24:58