Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How to recover deleted files on Windows 7?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 11:10
I have used recovery programs before but that's ages ago. I have none installed on my current laptop. Is there any built in feature in Windows 7 or any program you can recommend?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 11:56
Big sigh of relief. Windows gave me quite the scare. But apparently I had only managed to delete a library, not an actual folder. So, false alarm. But still, I'm interested in file recovery.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 18:07
There's a plethora of applications for this on most, if not all, platforms. When a file is "deleted" (as in not sent to the "recycle bin" (or similar), it is usually not permanently erased.

In a nutshell:

Deleting and Un-deleting
An application or operating system deleting a file simply marks that space on the disk as "available". In essence, you could un-delete anything so long as you did not overwrite that area of the disk.

Security Considerations:
To prevent things like privacy invasion and industrial espionage, among others, there are security applications available which intentionally overwrite a deleted file up to several times.

Further Reading:
For more information, I suggest you get stuck into Wikipedia, and study up on how file storage works. Here's a starting point file deletion.

Software Resources:
You should find plenty of un-delete utilities on Softpedia.

Hope that helps.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 18:59
I know how it works and as I said, I have done it before. Just looking for the software for it.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2014 20:07
I think I used MiniTool data recovery a year ago when somehow a folder got deleted. A 100GB folder! Took all night for the recovery process, but it looked as though everything was back. I copied a few of the recovered files to another drive for backup before all the data that was recovered somehow mysteriously became corrupted. I was gone for good.

Another program is Recuva. Both of these are installed on my PC but I don't recall which one I actually used.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 00:49
Here's a quick and easy one: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 01:29
Piriform make CCleaner, too, IIRC. I think I'll check it out as my current un-delete software is pretty basic.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 07:36
Thanks for the tips

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:37:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:37:59