Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Amazon's Fire phone

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 07:25 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2014 07:33
Anyone have one? Thoughts? I think it looks pretty nice. As long as it had a few key apps, I'd trade my iphone for it. My only concern is the size. I don't like how all the Android phones have gotten so huge, I want a cell phone in my pocket not a tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/Fire_Phone_13MP-Camera_64GB/dp/B00EODYW6M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406048260&sr=8-2&keywords=fire+phone

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 17:55
What I've read didn't sound so fantastic. Seemed to come across as decent-but-sluggish high-end Android phone with poor battery life. And they seemed to take the sell-it-with-gimicks play right out of Samsung's book.

I wouldn't buy an Amazon branded phone for much the same reason I wouldn't buy a Walmart branded phone or a Best Buy banded phone – they are a retailer, I use them to buy a lot of physical goods but I honestly have little interest in increasing the market share of their in-house tech products. They are already wiping so much of their competition out, and it seems fine and dandy when the consumer is getting stuff for a few bucks cheaper, but I'm not so sure it will be a rosy picture when they are the only game in town.

It may turn out to be a great phone (or maybe after version 2 hits), but I personally won't be surrendering my iPhone anytime soon.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 00:54
I just like how Fire OS looks over the direction iOS has been going.

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
You might want to go with a different Android device. I'd suggest the Moto X, it isn't over-sized, it's cheap, and it's a great phone (I have it, and its never given me any issues). Not to mention you can also customize its design (You can even get a real wooden back plate).

Also, I think on contract its only $0.01, you can go here to check it out and design your own: https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR1#exterior/backplate

An added bonus is they're assembled in Fort Worth,Texas so they say "Designed & Assembled in the USA" on the back.

Sean

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2014 22:46
Quote: "An added bonus is they're assembled in Fort Worth,Texas so they say "Designed & Assembled in the USA" on the back."

Unfortunately it looks like Motorola's new parent company won't be keeping up with that (unless something changed since the article was published).
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Unfortunately it looks like Motorola's new parent company won't be keeping up with that (unless something changed since the article was published)."

Yeah I read that too, but I don't thinks its closed yet.

Sean

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:55:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:55:41