Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / So who does their hobby or indie programming with loud music playing?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 13:26 Edited at: 25th Jul 2014 13:28
It has always been a habbit of mine blasting music to keep me motivated to get on with my personal project work. The genre's may vary all the way from classical to hip hop; and may include music from film or game soundtracks or my own music for my game.

Sometimes when I hit a barrier I have to turn it off to concentrate; but alot of the time when performing simple yet monotonous activities, the music saves the day by keeping Chris Tate awake.

So, do you have something similar in your gameplan? I know there are various employees from various software companies having various employers breathing down their necks virtually around here who may not feel comfortable to admit it; or may be bold enough to admit it. Or perhaps you feel it is unappropriate given backed up evidence.

I am not an employed software engineer; I would be more close to self-employed, although I do not do what I do exclusively for money (yet); therefore I have more freedom to do what I want; which may not be the case for you.

An additional curiosity I have transmitted from my brain is what kind of music you listen to get motivated in general; not just with programming; whether you are trying to complete that university dissertation at 2 am in the morning, or trying to convince yourself to get into the gym 2 pm in the afternoon.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 13:41
Stopped with music for a long time now, mainly play videos/documentaries/movies in the background...

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 13:55
At work, I have my earphones in constantly, even when I've no music playing. For one thing, people tend to assume that you can't hear them, and you can pick up on a lot of useful information

I never play music out loud, always through earphones - to me, enforcing your own taste in music on someone else is arrogant, unless someone specifically asks to hear it of course - I hate when people play their own crap in cars, my brother does that all the time no matter how often I tell him off
Like, a trip to the local shop isn't cause for 5-finger-death-punch at full volume!

When I do have music on, tends to be old 90's grunge like Pearl Jam, old electro music like Vangelis or Jarre or Tangerine Dream, or a soundtrack - esp Bastion and Tron Legacy - Tron OST by DaftPunk is awesome for coding to, somehow it makes whatever your coding seem epic. I prefer music with no lyrics when coding, and music with lyrics when doing artwork.

I am the one who knocks...
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 15:49 Edited at: 25th Jul 2014 15:50
I usually stream a show or stand-up comedy while working on the repetitive part of making games....while in the creative process I prefer soft ambient music.

I listen to loud music...and I mean LOUD MUSIC when I paint.

-Wolf

Quote: "Jarre or Tangerine Dream"

Interested in buying some LP's?

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 18:47
I usually listen to some form of music when programming, if I don't have it I tend to start doing other things. I usualy listen to random 1 hour mixes on youtube because I can just start them and forget about them. The only issue with that is if I hear a good song, I usualy forget to save it for later I have realised that I need some form of sound around me that's not to distracting depending on what I do. If im browsing reddit or a forum or playing a game, I will usualy watch a youtube video or listen to some music at the same time, the random sounds of people talking in school works for that aswell which is pretty weird. Unless im tired, I can usualy just filter away the "background noise" which makes it easier for me to focus than complete silence...

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I rarely listen to music when programming. If it's an extensive brainless task, then maybe, but otherwise I need complete silence. Even soft creaks in floorboards drive me nuts

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 22:39
Quote: "When I do have music on, tends to be old 90's grunge like Pearl Jam, old electro music like Vangelis or Jarre or Tangerine Dream, or a soundtrack -"

Come work in my department any time

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 22:55
On the same page as Van B here, except I have some quality jumbo sized headphones.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 00:35 Edited at: 26th Jul 2014 00:36
Oh I love blasting loud music when I'm programming or doing something else. I am a metalhead and it's one of those genres meant to be played loud. Yeah, some of my neighbours may not like it, but eh, we have to put up with their really bad karaoke in the early hours of the morning, at least I'm respectable about when I blast my music.

More recently, I've been listening to a lot more old school metal. Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Diamond Head, Heaven and Hell, Dio. *shrugs* Guess I've been in the mood for it.

For me the music doesn't have to be monotone for me to work. I find music helps me concentrate better. My mind is very easily distracted so I blurs out everything else.

But then I love my music and am going to this festival (yet again) next week, totally excited.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 05:14
If I'm not listening to music then I am doing something else that includes audio. Sometimes I play music whilst watching films and TV even which is pretty strange (Usually when I'm watching stuff that I'm not 100% interested in). Music all day every day. My Last.FM says that I play 36 tracks a day but I know that is not true and rather just an average over the years that I've been using it. Music that I listen to is mostly electronic/chillwave/japanese/lo-fi/hardcore/ambient/experimental. Includes artists such as マクロスMACROSS 82-99, Saint Pepsi, Toro y Moi, Beckoning, Boards of Canada, Brothertiger, Pursuing Paradise, bluntside, Blackbird Blackbird, Birocratic, Lone, ODESZA. When I go outside I carry around a device that is basically just an old phone with an SD card inside of it filled up, analog out to a headphone amp that is slapped onto the other side of it that then goes out to my Shure SE215's. To save on battery life though the device is set into airplane mode meaning I can't scrobble to Last.FM. I wont go outside unless I have this little rig with me.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 07:41 Edited at: 26th Jul 2014 07:42
used to have something blasting back in the 80/90's but.. somewhere alone the way fell out of the habit.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 08:06
I guess I used to listen to music sometimes when coding, but since I'm musical it had to be something not too musically interesting or it'd take my attention, sort of like when people are talking to each other and you have a compulsion to listen to and interpret what they are saying even if you don't consciously want to.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 21:37
I've never been one to listen to music whilst doing something mathematical. If I'm doing something artistic then I will listen to something, but for programming/engineering I can't concentrate!

I usually need complete silence to help me think.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 21:44
This just reminds me of that scene from Grandma's Boy.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 10:49
lol. I must admit I usually make do with headphones when people are in the house where I do my programming.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 22:14
I often listen to 80s music when I am coding. Unless I am working with sounds or do proper play testing (with music on in the game). Otherwise I just turn off the ingame music.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 4th Aug 2014 19:11
My favorite choice of music to listen to while developing games (or do anything, really ) is...Metal! From Judas Priest to Immortal, from Iron Maiden to Slayer...metal is my thing.

Without metal, it's really hard to concentrate.

Jokes aside, when i whent to school, i also listened to metal music while studying. It helped me to relax, sorta speak.

Quote: "Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 15:01
I usually listen to my 90's station on pandora, or my hans zimmer station...but yesterday the Mission Impossible theme came on and for some reason I felt like I was in the movie and I was programming like a beast! It was a very strange reaction lol.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 15:39
Hehe, that's what I'm like with the Tron soundtrack.

No matter what your working on is somehow epic with the right soundtrack... all of a sudden I'm Hugh Jackman in Swordfish, punching the air and swigging red wine every time the code actually does what it's supposed to do, while avoiding an awkward bro-mance with John Travolta of course

I do have a dual monitor setup now at least, that's fairly epic - a portrait display for code, and a nice new 144hz gaming monitor as my main. You can't be very coder-epic with just 1 monitor, not these days.

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2014 19:03
I have two monitors, my primary being a nice 16:10 and my secondary being a lousy 16:9

Very rarely will I listen to loud rock music when programming. It's usually electronic. Make a "Moby" station on pandora and basically have my programming tunes.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2014 05:26
The tron soundtrack is another one! I usually put Derrezzed on repeat. Another good one is the Man of Steel theme, extended version. At certain points I'll finish a line of code than follow it up by finishing a percussion hit by banging my fingers on the desk....my gf thinks I'm a bit psycho.

Ah, I used to have a dual monitor setup! I use to watch netflix while working on models...

Not far back my brother decided to upgrade his computer, bought brand new top line stuff...spent every penny he'd been saving over the summer. Except he forgot to buy an HD screen. I felt bad and gave him one of mine, lol. Though it was a good trade, got his old graphics card which blew mine away at the time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:06:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:06:37