Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Unreal Tournament 4 is to be free

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 00:01
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 11:04
Hmmmm, I'm not sure the FPS market has space for it!

I am a UT fan, but it's so fast paced compared to modern shooters, I'm not sure that new gamers are ready for it. The problem isn't that new gamers can't adapt, the problem is that the publisher will enforce the standard FPS shooter model on it, no matter how 'community designed' they claim it is.

I quite liked UT3, a lot of faffing about with spheres and stuff that really has no business being in an FPS - I kinda would hope they'd go back to the first UT, those assault battles were great. That would be my ideal UT4 - forget vehicles, forget melee, forget massive maps - get funnel maps and assault maps in there, don't even show the K/D ratio, get the good weapons from the series in there (ripper, flak cannon etc) and make it the most violent fast paced insane shooter that they can.

I am the one who knocks...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 17:30
F2P? Guess I won't be playing that one.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 17:41
I am curious to know of any top rated game that is both free to play, and fun to play. When was the last time anyone here played a F2P commercial game that they rate as fun to play; and which games are they? I ask because I need to try out some F2P games, but have never trusted them to be worth more than the games I currently pay to play.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 18:05
Most of them are free to play, pay to win...

IMO the best free to play FPS is PlanetSide2, it seems to let the player get on with it, and take part in a massive battle without the need to dip pockets too deeply or too greedily. Sony are making a zombie game based on the same engine, which should be very interesting.

I did enjoy War Thunder, but that's one that you feel like you have to spend money to get the stuff you actually need.

War Frame is ok, but you need to play with couple of friends to make the most of it - otherwise it's just miserable.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 18:24
Quote: "And designed openly with the community."

...but without Cliff Bleszinsky this time, who is developing his own free-to-play competitive FPS called "BlueStreak". He already gathered a few veterans (e.g. former COD devs) for his new studio. I wonder how that turns out.

Are we seeing a renaissance of fast paced competitive shooters?

Play Super Footie Online: SuperFootie.com

Development News: Forum Thread
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 18:26
The best example I think is Dota 2, it's free to play with no pay to win. Instead you pay for cosmetics which are mostly developed by the community I think. I believe that team fortress 2 has the same model

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 02:18 Edited at: 30th Jul 2014 02:19
I think I will give Dota 2 and PlanetSide 2 a go one day

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 04:36
League of Legends is another F2P game avoids P2W pretty well. Though I do prefer Dota's way of handling character unlocks.

Quote: "F2P? Guess I won't be playing that one."

You're not even going to give it a chance? That's a pretty close-minded mindset considering it's from Epic, not a company like Ubisoft/EA/Activision.

Quote: "Are we seeing a renaissance of fast paced competitive shooters?"

With the relative popularity of Titanfall, which is a combination of fast-paced shooter combat combined with CoD and BF elements, I'd say so.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 05:06 Edited at: 30th Jul 2014 05:06
Quote: "You're not even going to give it a chance? That's a pretty close-minded mindset considering it's from Epic, not a company like Ubisoft/EA/Activision."

Nope. I'm against F2P as a concept. I can't work for free, people shouldn't expect to get my work for free. Supporting F2P perpetuates the notion that games should be free. If I'm tricking people into paying then that just makes me a jerk. Yes, having no P2W is a bit more reasonable, but I still won't personally touch it. I don't see any good coming out of F2P for our industry.

All that said, I'm ok with free as in beer games. Ben Yahtzee Croshaw's games are some of my favorites

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 16:41
Quote: "IMO the best free to play FPS is PlanetSide2, it seems to let the player get on with it, and take part in a massive battle without the need to dip pockets too deeply or too greedily. Sony are making a zombie game based on the same engine, which should be very interesting."

The reason to why Planetside 2 works so well is.. well; The battles are so big, that if someone bought the "biggest baddest gun", it will hardly make a difference.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2014 10:51
Yeah, it's not like other FPS's, where the same guy kills you 10 times (ala BF4!) - I think though that the attitude is more businesslike in Planetside2. I mean, people who like to play the objective tend to like it, it's much more of a team game - especially considering you pick a faction and stick to it, makes the enemies a little bit more real I think.

In saying all that though, I haven't played it in ages.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 31st Jul 2014 13:22
Quote: "The best example I think is Dota 2, it's free to play with no pay to win. Instead you pay for cosmetics which are mostly developed by the community I think. I believe that team fortress 2 has the same model"

Yep, Dota 2 is an excellent F2P game. Easy to pick up, extremely hard to master and very addictive

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:17:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:17:02