Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / 3D sculpting... damn I miss ZBrush3 - what are the alternatives?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 15:53
Hi All,

I got ZB3 a while ago, I think it was through some website offer, some modelling site that I was a member of, probably before Autodesk decided they must own every package to do with modelling.

Anyway, that install is gone, and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives out there that don't cost the earth. Needs to let me take a model and sculpt it's normal and height map etc... for making things like rocks and high detail mesh/normal maps for characters etc etc with parallax/relief/refraction shaders. Maybe there's something for Blender, I've no idea but that would be a great option (as the models have to go through Blender anyway).

So please let me know of any options you can think off that can do the job... I really don't want to come up with a high poly texture render workflow, that's just tedious and difficult with my skillset

I am the one who knocks...
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 18:12
Try Sculptris. Really easy to learn and get into. You can create high poly models for baking normals and paint a height map to go with. It also includes a decent 3d painter. Best part it's free. I use it with blender, uses obj format.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 19:36
Cheers!

It is nice and easy to use, now to try and learn me some Blender to go with it

I am the one who knocks...
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 20:54
Blender does have built in sculpt and 3d/poly paint modes, and can bake any sort of map you might need. The sculpt tools have gotten quite good these days, including things like dynamesh, matcaps, and a lot of other zbrush like goodies.

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2014 15:40
JLMoondog,

How do you find it compared to Blenders internal sculpting?

I have downloaded Sculptris before and played with it, but, my sculpting is not great; plus, I find sculpting inside Blender to be quite clunky and not very well optimised.

Cheers

Jay.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:27:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:27:41