Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Quite a considerable number of swedish game programmers emerging

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 21:25
I have noticed over the past decade a number of succesful if not popular game programmers in and outside of the forums, home grown from Sweden.

I probably will not need names mentioned as you would not have to look far before stubbling accross top rated independant game project from the country.

I always invisioned my self visiting the place in future for some pickled herring, oceans of snow and pretty women; but there might be a programming reason for such a visit judging by the way things are going.

Are there any northerners around here from or near Sweden wish to elaborate what it is like to be a programmer in or around Sweden? is the competition tight? Is the job market cramped? is the pay cheque generous? What will things be like in 10 years time? Perhaps Google and Micrsoft will set up a "software citedal" for their expansive endeavours.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2014 22:08
I don't know how big programming is. Not long ago I found out that the guy behind Brothers is a Swedish film director. There are of course some famous Swedish studios like Dice etc. But where I live there are no known game developers.

If you want to come by and eat surströmming I would be happy to both buy the can and film you

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 12:09
Maybe it's like the 16-bit demo scene in the 90's, lots of talented Swedes doing cool stuff back then.

I am the one who knocks...
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2014 14:50
Near impossible to get a programming job without previous work-related experience in the field, thus making everyone not already "in" being seemingly permanently stuck outside. This does of course seem to hold true for most occupations and isn't directly related to programming specificly. Still grinds my gears though.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2014 02:15 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2014 02:18
@Digital Awakening

Ah, surströmming. I had to look that up to be honest.

I found that one of our famous chefs had a go. Quite healthly looking I must say, fish oils are good for your bones.

How is your project going? I read the your thread a number of times each week.

@Van B
Quote: "
Maybe it's like the 16-bit demo scene in the 90's, lots of talented Swedes doing cool stuff back then."

Ah the 90s; my last decade of console ownership. After the Sega MegaDrive (Genesis) I never owned a games console other than the Nintendo DS for a few months before selling it on ebay back in 2006.

I was in my teens back then, my first windows PC had a i386 50 MHz CPU. I used to play a lot of Escape from Castle Wolfenstien and Team 17's Worms (Reunited).

@Rudolpho
Quote: "Near impossible to get a programming job without previous work-related experience in the field, thus making everyone not already "in" being seemingly permanently stuck outside."

I could not say that this is not the case in the UK; however there are new IT establishments outside of London which will hopefully provide more work over the next decade.

Are they planning to establish programming as a compulsory school subject in Sweden?

Things will hopefully improve. I think a new hardware trend will arise at somepoint which will replace the tablet market; this is a wild guess, but I have a feeling netbooks are going to come back into "fashion" and this single solution Windows OS movement Microsoft are making should make being a windows developer more feasible than it is now with all of these operating systems to develop for.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2014 12:13 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2014 12:20
Chris:

Rush to Adventure Alpha will be released later today. I noticed a few bugs yesterday and I still have to code my new website.

This video is probably the most famous and a lot of fun to watch. Searching for surströmming on Youtube is a lot of fun

Warning for some bad language.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 23:09
Quote: "When opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour; the dish is ordinarily eaten outdoors. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even more so than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean Hongeohoe or Japanese Kusaya."

Wow they should use that as a leathal chemical weapon.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 01:23
Quote: "Wow they should use that as a leathal chemical weapon."

It is banned on certain airlines

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:51:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:51:06