Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Will the DBC/DBP source code ever be released?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 08:35
Are there any plans to make DBC/DBP open source or free-software?
As far as I can tell TGC makes most of its money from selling add-ons and companion software. Both languages are quite old now but maybe releasing the source to the public might result in some clever boffins adding and improving features, it might even bring in new users who want a language they can tinker with, and those arriving for the new features.

Yes? No? Shall I go sit in the corner and be quiet?

Formerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 09:33
I don't know if they will release the source or not, but if they do, it could be some very messy code. I just say that based upon the, erm well, lack of optimization in the compiled executables

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Basic Pro has actually been open source for a little while, it just really doesn't get mentioned a lot. You can find the source here: https://code.google.com/p/darkbasicpro/ It could be cool if someone started on some sort of DBPro "mod".

Sean

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 11:32
Should be not modded but FORKED, and uploaded to sourceforge. TGC just need to mention in the license that to use any forked version you need to own commercial license for official DBP.

All your TGC are belong to us.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 14:26
Quote: "FORKED"

What does that mean? Is it another way of saying KNIFED?

Powered by Free Banners
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 16:25
Forked means that you take an open source repository from something like SVN or git and create your own version (branch) of it.

Also, it looks like the source is on SVN so you should just be able to fork it and do what you want with it (while following the license ofc)

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What does that mean? Is it another way of saying KNIFED?"

He's used the words as if they're opposite of one another which is confusing. A branch, or fork is just a different version of development that usually runs concurrently with the original.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 16:52
Quote: " What does that mean? Is it another way of saying KNIFED?"

It's an open source software(OSS) term used when a project is splintered off by a group for various reasons. Either a different development philosophy, inability to make changes in a reasonable time, etc, etc are reasons that people fork open source projects.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 16:59
Quote: "Is it another way of saying KNIFED?"
That was the first thing to make me laugh this morning; thanks.

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 17:00 Edited at: 10th Aug 2014 17:00
Lee and his developers have the repository set up much like the following:

All developers have write access to the repository, so they are all able to branch from it directly, then make, commit, and push changes back to the repository.

We on the other hand do not have write access. What we can do however is fork the repository. This is nothing more than creating another online copy of the repository.

This allows me to clone my copy of the repository and check out a branch on my local computer. Because the branch is tracking my repository and not Lee's repository, I have writing permission and can push changes.

When I've finished my modifications to DBP, I can initiate a merge request. Someone on the DBP team who has writing access to Lee's repository will then clone the changes from my repository, and if everything looks alright, he will push the changes to Lee's repository:

There can of course be more than one fork of Lee's repository. This is what's known as a distributed workflow.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 22:17
AFAIR there is one small problem: we have no forks the opened code is not the latest version.

All your TGC are belong to us.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 22:58
Quote: "That was the first thing to make me laugh this morning; thanks."

I'm glad someone appreciated it.

Thanks for the explanations everyone. I'd never heard the word used in that context before.