Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Rush to Adventure needs your support!

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 13:10 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 19:39
There's a new Ouya roundup on the same website. Please vote for my game Rush to Adventure, let's show that a game made in App Game Kit can win this!
Click this link and place your vote

Please vote for RTA at this weeks indie roundup!

The prize is to be featured on their front page for a week. Please help me support my game to get some attention. It is developed in App Game Kit.

Here's a direct link to the game on my website if you want to check it out.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 19:38 Edited at: 10th Aug 2014 19:40
You mean 'prize' not 'price'. They have very different meanings.

I notice your entry is right above Skulls of the Shogun which is quite a successful mobile game. I'm not sure this is a fair contest.
There is quite a mixture of shovelware, already successful games and obscure titles.

Let There Be Life looks pretty interesting. You build a tree while being careful to provide enough space and light for the animals and plants around the tree to flourish.

You seem to have a nice little platformer there, but to be honest I find the sounds obnoxious (especially the jumping) and the graphics are a bit overly-simplified even for a retro style. There is a difference between nostalgia and making something that actually looks like it was made twenty-five years ago. Sorry if that sounds harsh and you are not an artist but that is my first impression and sadly that's all that counts for this sort of thing. I'm sure the game is fun, and I will download and try it.

Formerly OBese87.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 21:48
Quote: "You mean 'prize' not 'price'. They have very different meanings."

And I am not a native English speaker. But fixed the spelling.

Quote: "I notice your entry is right above Skulls of the Shogun which is quite a successful mobile game. I'm not sure this is a fair contest."

Yeah, that doesn't feel as indie as the rest of the games. I got it on my 360 over a year ago. They also just had a review of that game.

Quote: "You seem to have a nice little platformer there, but to be honest I find the sounds obnoxious (especially the jumping) and the graphics are a bit overly-simplified even for a retro style. There is a difference between nostalgia and making something that actually looks like it was made twenty-five years ago. Sorry if that sounds harsh and you are not an artist but that is my first impression and sadly that's all that counts for this sort of thing. I'm sure the game is fun, and I will download and try it. "

I know the style of the game is not for everybody. I'm making a game I like and that is within my abilities. Being a one man dev team with limited time, I wanted something that would not take up too much of it. I think it works as a whole. The main focus of the game is it's gameplay and I hope you like it.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 22:10
Sorry I probably sounded a bit mean. The style doesn't take anything away from your game, it's just there are already tonnes of games that look like yours and I don't think it is going to stand out on that page. I gave it a go and it seems fun. I had some odd graphical and audio glitches so I couldn't do much other than the platforming parts but that is because I am on Linux trying to run .exe files, not your fault.

Formerly OBese87.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 22:44
Quote: "there are already tonnes of games that look like yours"

Yes and no. Are there other retro style games? Yes, but there are tons of games of every art style. The low resolution, the large amounts of black and the bright colors makes it stand out a bit. Retro is just an art style like many others. And it works very well with the game.

Quote: "I gave it a go and it seems fun."

Thanks Too bad it doesn't work properly on your Linux system. I really wish AppGameKit supported Linux because it's a pretty big indie platform. It plays really well on an Android phone or tablet if you happen to have one of those.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 19:19
10 of 18 votes so far! If nothing drastic happens it seems that I will win this. Unless everybody adds their votes in the last day this poll doesn't get a lot of votes.

Just got a vote buy the author himself That is pretty cool if you ask me!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 13:54
I think the art style suits the game perfectly, I am a fan of pixel art - but really a lot of these retro-styled games get it wrong, like it's just another art style and doesn't carry on throughout the game. It's not just a case of using low res sprites, the whole game has to warrant the art style. I mean, say DA replaced the graphics with full scale sprites... that would mean much longer development, probably a reduction in actual visual quality, certainly a reduction in the variation and number of frames each sprite has.

Pixel art kinda levels the playing field - because at that resolution anyone can make a decent looking sprite, and animating takes very little time. In mine and Cliff.M's game I can usually make an enemy in a couple of hours, about 60 frames 8 directional movement a bit like Doom - if the enemies were to use more than 32x32 pixels per frame, that time would grow exponentially as the quality decreases exponentially. If you can't get character into your 32x32 or 16x16 or less sprites, then there isn't enough character there in your game in the first place.

Anyway, I voted already - good luck, Rush is an incredibly playable, traditional platform adventure game - and despite the volume of retro indie platformers out there, few of them are actually fun to play... most of them are fairly over-rated IMO and a lot are just downright pretentious.

I am the one who knocks...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 19:31
Thanks Van I agree, higher resolution graphics would likely make the game look worse because I would not have been able to pull it off as well as I can with fewer pixels. Or I would have to spend far more time on the art.

Yeah, I noticed you voted earlier. Now I am just waiting for them to close the poll. 13 out of 23 votes is very nice. And it just feels good to beat Sculls of the Shogun. That is a great game, at least on 360. I am eager to see what being on their front page for a week means in terms of downloads.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 21:44 Edited at: 13th Aug 2014 21:46
Rush to Adventure has now been declared the winner. Thanks to all who have voted

When I got the notice on Twitter that I got selected, I never thought I had a chance.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2014 22:21
Congratulations!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 02:29
Congrats DA!
I wish you many sales

Formerly OBese87.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2014 09:47
Thanks guys

I got my first written article on the alpha!

News article by Super Game Droid
"This addicting action RPG employs absolutely perfect side-scrolling gameplay reminiscent of Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link
that when mixed with its Dark Souls style combat system, makes for a sublime gaming experience."

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2014 23:00
Lol I just returned from a holidy and stumbled on this thread; you won so I do not need to feel bad I missed the event. Congratulations; it shows that a good game idea is indisputable.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2014 01:32
Quote: "Congratulations;"

Thanks

Quote: "it shows that a good game idea is indisputable."

I think good implementation is just as important. I have reworked the gameplay a number of times. It's the single most time consuming part of the game. And that seems to be paying off as people are commenting on it the most. It's what I started coding on and it's still not 100% done.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 09:36
Rush to Adventure needs you again!

Super Game Droid is doing another roundup. This time they are doing their first Ouya roundup. In the Android roundup, Rush to Adventure managed 54% of the votes. Going up against other Ouya games will probably be harder. First prize is a video review and I would love one of those. The voting is at the bottom of the page. You do not need to sign up to vote, you can vote anonymously. Please show your support and vote for AppGameKit made Rush to Adventure.

Click here to go to the roundup!

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 15:58
I placed my vote but the game could do with more votes.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2014 17:18 Edited at: 19th Aug 2014 17:19
Thanks for your vote

Yeah, looks a bit better now than 2 hours ago, but that cargame sure is popular.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 11:41
voted, need more to open a bit more of a gap
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 19:35
Thanks for your vote

We are currently behind! I thought we were pulling ahead but now they got the lead.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 19:46 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 19:48
Weird, last night yours had 53% after I voted and your main competitor at the time was 45%, I cant remember the name of the competitor but there doesnt appear to be a decent competitor now Ive looked, I was also able re vote just now. Maybe they tally up daily?(reset to) Here is where its at right now

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 21:05
James, that is the old poll. I wonder why they haven't closed that one. I have updated my first post with a link to the new poll. This time it goes for best on Ouya.

Here's a link

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 21:28
O right lol, all is well in the world once again!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 21:48
Friday tends to the most user populated day on this forum but sadly by the morning the competition will close.

No matter; most likely popularity is the differentiator on this occasion, but RTA will have the upper hand on another with persistence and hard work.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 22:19 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 22:21
Quote: "O right lol, all is well in the world once again!"

Thanks for voting again

Quote: "No matter; most likely popularity is the differentiator on this occasion, but RTA will have the upper hand on another with persistence and hard work."

On Ouya the rating is 4.5 to 3.5 stars, in my favor. So this is a popularity contest. But the publicity is nice either way and it's been fun and exciting

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2014 23:47 Edited at: 20th Aug 2014 23:55
4.5 to 3.5 stars on Ouya in your favor; how so? I do not know much about Ouya. How does the Ouya ratings system work, and how does it put you ahead? Is it an average of ratings or perhaps some other calculation?

I wish I could S Rank on my phone; I just can't handled the controls very well on there. I prefer playing on my PC.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2014 00:31 Edited at: 21st Aug 2014 00:32
Quote: "4.5 to 3.5 stars on Ouya in your favor; how so? I do not know much about Ouya. How does the Ouya ratings system work, and how does it put you ahead? Is it an average of ratings or perhaps some other calculation?"

Once you have installed a game and played it you can use the system button to rate the game 1-5 stars. You then see the number of people rating the game and their average. So 4.5/5 puts me among the top games on Ouya. If you click on the Download on Ouya buttons in the article those takes you to the web-version of the game pages. Here's a link to mine.

Quote: "I wish I could S Rank on my phone; I just can't handled the controls very well on there. I prefer playing on my PC."

It is a bit harder until you get used to the touch screen. The lack of feedback from a touchscreen makes it much harder to use than physical controls.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2014 12:19
We lost the poll. Congrats to Super Renegade Response. I think this has been a good way to raise awareness of Rush to Adventure. A big thanks to all who have voted and shared! Now I look forward to having my game showcased at the Ouya booth at PAX next week

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:09:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:09:48