Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Good God I want this laptop...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 14:03
Quote: "On what planet?? An SSD is not a necessity! BF4 is the only game I've ever seen where an SSD is required to play smoothly, and that's just because it's published by EA so DICE can't fix crap. An SSD is a nice bonus, but the computer will still run very quickly without it."

I totally agree, SSDs are nice, they speed up load times for most things, reboots take almost no time at all and the games you put on your SSD will load faster. But an SSD won't be a bottleneck after the games have loaded (unless they load a ton of stuff from the HDD which I doubt they do).

Quote: "Oh, and I recommend 250GB for your SSD. 120/128GB is too small, and you sacrifice performance, lifespan and (obviously) storage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB."

I don't know about performance or lifespan but a big SSD is pretty nice to have. I have 2 Samsung 840 Evo, one in my laptop and one in my desktop and they both run really well.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 15:41
Quote: "I have 2 Samsung 840 Evo"

Man I wish I could say that!

Quote: "unless they load a ton of stuff from the HDD which I doubt they do"

Yeah, most games are absolutely fine without an SSD. The only game I've come across that has noticeable problems is BF4, and IMO BF3 is better anyway

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 18:40 Edited at: 6th Sep 2014 18:58
Quote: "On what planet?? An SSD is not a necessity!"

True, but unless you only care about the gaming experience (and not general use) it'll boost the performance quite some way. Nowadays the technology is good enough that you don't have to pay too much for a modest, reliable, high-performance model.

But, you're right that it's not essential. And he can always buy it later anyway.

Quote: "Again, as I say, BF4 is designed to run on an HDD"

Really? That's awful. Why any such game should need to continually access storage like that is beyond me. Though, if it's designed to run on an HDD it should do just fine on a SSD. I wouldn't personally waste storage space installing games on an SSD though, in any case.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 18:53
Quote: "Again, as I say, BF4 is designed to run on an HDD"
It should have an option to use an HDD and a butt ton of RAM, too.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 23:22
Oh my God, I found the case I'm getting. It'll add a bit to the total cost but it's so worth it.

It's a bit of a monster, it's a full-size tower, but look at that drive bay design! Modular and doesn't get in the way of GPUS, allowing for maximum air flow and the ability to have extremely long GPUs.

I'll make room.

Meh game development blaugh!
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 01:21
Wow 155 posts already.

Have you seen Ryse: Son of Rome max specs? GTA 5 specs probably?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 07:41
Quote: "True, but unless you only care about the gaming experience (and not general use) it'll boost the performance quite some way."

Yeah, ok I'll accept that. From the way you write that, I'd say you've got an SSD and you've used it long enough that you could never go back to just an HDD, right? If you've never used an SSD before a 7200rpm HDD is no hardship and can even be called pleasantly responsive.

Quote: "Really? That's awful."

I think you may have misunderstood me, so I'll clarify. By "designed to run on an HDD", I meant it was designed to be installed to and run from and HDD. Of course you were probably joking (hence the ), but obviously I'm too serious to see it

Quote: "Why any such game should need to continually access storage like that is beyond me."

Well in the case of the Frostbite engine (BF3/4), it's down to streaming textures and sounds. When you have a massive level with huge textures, they're unlikely to all fit into available memory, so the game streams the from the hard drive. Unlike UDK, though, Frostbite is really terrible at doing this smoothly and if your HDD isn't in tip-top condition you'll get heaps of freezes and stuttering, particularly when zooming in with a sniper rifle because the camera moves forward very quickly.

Quote: "I found the case I'm getting"

Why do I not have any spare cash?!

Quote: "I'll make room."

If only I had to make room as well...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 19:21
I decided to go back to the original Thermaltake Core V71 case, a lot of reviews mention that as cool as that Corsair one is, it's not worth almost $200 because it's nowhere near as sturdy as it should be...

I also realized I can completely omit the optical drive since I have an external one... I bought it for my iMac and then never really used it except for once, shows how much I miss it, eh? With Steam you don't really need a drive anymore...

So now my total will be much more manageable, and the case will look fantastic. Yay!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 19:29
When you buy your case, you probably want to get insurance. Just in case...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 20:17 Edited at: 7th Sep 2014 20:20
Not a bad little case, similar price to my old RV01
EDIT

Added link...

I still have it though... solid as anything...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 03:46
Quote: "Four of these they even have 1TB cheap! "

Ewww Toshiba drives.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 15:01
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 15:15
What type of product did you have issues with? external drive? yeah they tend to suck no matter which you buy... but their Laptops are among the best you can buy today...

Their Hard Drives are good too, at least the last time I had them...

But my point with those links was, find some cheap drives and buy a lot of them!

That new case houses 10 HDD's but how many does the board support?

If you stick your redundancy within the system it will be quicker than over USB and you can even do it in real time via RAID or active software...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 15:37
Quote: "What type of product did you have issues with?"

Well for one a laptop from about 2002. Piece of crap it was, refurbished but constantly failed. When it was replaced with an identical model (also refurbished) it failed in the same way.

Quote: "but their Laptops are among the best you can buy today..."

Really? I actually don't like them at all. Never been impressed with Toshiba.

Quote: "external drive? yeah they tend to suck no matter which you buy"

Between us we have four 1TB and two 2TB WD external drives and they've been brilliant. Dad's just bought two 2TB Seagate external drives so we'll see how they go too

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 15:44
I will never buy WD after what happened a couple of years ago... you better watch your USB ports!

I don't know about Australia but over here in the correct side up we have some really nice builds with some powerful components!

A few years ago bought Satellite model I think it was which housed an internal GPU and an NVIDIA GeForce 460M which was VERY GOOD! it ran 3D MARK very nicely as well as CineBench and that other one I forget the name of all the time

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 15:48
Quote: "I will never buy WD after what happened a couple of years ago... you better watch your USB ports!"

Really? If something destroyed your USB ports it was probably the motherboard's fault; a short circuit or current overdraw is supposed to shut off the power to the port, not fry things. What happened?

Quote: "in the correct side up"

lol

Quote: "A few years ago bought Satellite model I think it was which housed an internal GPU and an NVIDIA GeForce 460M which was VERY GOOD! it ran 3D MARK very nicely as well as CineBench and that other one I forget the name of all the time"

Ok, so maybe they house good components, but I always find Toshiba laptops to be chunky, excessively plasticy and very poorly styled.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 16:08
Quote: "What happened?"

Nothing about short circuiting, more a design build flaw where the port on the case came loose, not a problem usually... [Ironically this happened with a cheap USB3 case I bought recently for a 2.5" drive, thankfully they refunded me, it was a Silverstone case... they never have enough counter pressure above the USB port which meant it will wiggle free]

But WD drives use a special mounting method which means that drive will ONLY mount on their drive chip... the chip board inside the case...

Trying to mount it using another connector or sticking the drive directly to a computer internally does not work as you have to mount the drive which would have killed the MBR, all this happened before I fully understood how to fiddle with those things as well, also the drive was fully encrypted... so there was no chance of recovery even after mounting the drive as the files would have no identity from which to recover them...

There was an option which they wanted me to pay their partner company a fixed £300-500 [Cannot remember how much exactly] fee to possibly recover the data... but as I did not want a third party accessing my personal files [Scans of all my banking records etc.] I was happy to just take the hit and format the drive so I can house it in another caddy [2TB drive mind you]

I lost some precious photos, like the time I lived in Japan with my Japanese GF... but they shall remain in my mind for now

Sigh...

Don't get me wrong WD HDD's are great, just never buying an external case ever again unless I buy an aftermarket or whatever case and stick my own drives in it, they do not have fishy mounting systems, as I always shift some drives around from case to case or system and they work just fine...

You could always test this by removing one from your WD case and see if it mounts in your Desktop... this way you can take the initiative to backup that data, buy a custom case for it and ditch the WD one if you are concerned... depending on how old your case is, they might have removed this in recent years as it was a huge issue when it happened to me...

Mind you if it is a massive Printer port style you should be ok, thinking back it was a micro USB port similar to mobiles not the classic tooth shaped one... which my external adapter has, my newer USB3 cases have the huge printer style USB3 connectors so I will not have the same issue again...

Food for thought I suppose...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 16:20
Quote: "I lost some precious photos, like the time I lived in Japan with my Japanese GF..."

Oh no! I feel so sad for you... If it had been me, I would have locked the drive away in a safe and saved up the money to have the data professionally recovered (regardless of privacy concerns) because I would cry if I lost any photos like that...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 16:27
Thanks Clonkex, the money was not the issue, I cherish my privacy as do I my past, I have good memory and [later found out she had copies anyway ^^] and besides that I am battle hardened so I can take a loss or few...

Will be visiting Japan sometime in 2015!

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2014 16:56
Quote: "Of course you were probably joking"

I thought you meant designed to be installed on an HDD rather than an SSD. I see now.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 04:35 Edited at: 9th Sep 2014 04:38
Quote: "I thought you meant designed to be installed on an HDD rather than an SSD. I see now."

I did.... oh I see what you mean. The key phrase being "rather than". Yeah, just meant it was designed to work even if it's only installed on an HDD.

Quote: "later found out she had copies anyway ^^"

Now I feel happy for you

*American accent* Look mom! See how exciting my game is!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 07:00
Quote: "But WD drives use a special mounting method which means that drive will ONLY mount on their drive chip... the chip board inside the case...

Trying to mount it using another connector or sticking the drive directly to a computer internally does not work as you have to mount the drive which would have killed the MBR,"

What on earth are you talking about? WD uses the same connector as everyone. Mounting the drive internally would have 0 effect on the MBR. Unless you're talking about one of those really crappy passport enclosures, in which case I still don't see how any of this would still be affected.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 08:22
Well, my experience was just so, and they even confirmed it over the phone...

Cannot remember the model name... Not worth the metal energy

Anyway not interested in discussing it further, sorry...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 14:34
Quote: "Not worth the metal energy"

Ooh, metal energy. You been researching new types of energy, then?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 16:39
So far I have arrived at Iron Ore...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 17:43
So I realized that my mobo will only support a 2-way CrossFire, so I do not need a full-size tower. So I started looking at mid towers, and I found this beauty for $80!

Quiet and sleek and doesn't have all the tacky lights!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 17:52
Quote: "So I realized that my mobo will only support a 2-way CrossFire"

Can't imagine why you'd want more than 2-way...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2014 17:52
That is my type of case. Similiar to my Antec P180

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 00:14
I once got a brand new case for what, 16 dollars? Newegg, and it was a steel. It actually was made of steel, I think! Maybe aluminum...

Anyway, that thing buzzed like crazy from hard drive vibration and such. All I had to do was push up the whole front cover assembly two or three millimeters, making nice lovely creaking noises all the while, and the buzzing would go away.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 05:03
I really can't find a better deal than the Fractal Design case. They made my last case too, and I really liked it (despite the interior being so cramped and NO cable management features to speak of!). This looks like quite the case, and quite quiet as well!

Although I am not so nuts about that front cover... it needs to stay open while gaming, otherwise it blocks airflow completely. I'll bet there's a way to take it off though!

Quote: "Can't imagine why you'd want more than 2-way..."

Come on man, we all know you have to have at least 3-way SLI/Crossfire in order to have true fun... 4-way is where it's at though

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2014 05:04
5-Way if you have an on board GPU option [For when not gaming]

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Sep 2014 21:51
I completed my order!

I should get the next half by the end of next week. Here's the final parts list!

Corsair Obsidian 450D Tower
AMD FX-8350
GIGABYTE GA-990FX Mobo (supports RAID, multiple GPUS)
HyperX 8GB RAM
Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5
Cooler Master 212 EVO Fan/Heatsink
Cooler Master Keyboard
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W full modular PSU
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

I'm too lazy to make those links, but the total this came to? $1164.91! Not a bad deal, eh?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2014 16:35
Quote: "I completed my order!"

Huzzah! *cheering and clapping*

Quote: "$1164.91! Not a bad deal, eh?"

It certainly pays to do your research! It's gonna be a beast of a system

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Sep 2014 21:14
It's built! And it is a monster!

I will post some pictures in the next day or two (once I add a couple of LED fans I purchased), but suffice to say it looks pretty.

It also got an Experience Index score of 5.9, which is pretty good! The GPU and RAM get the highest rating of 7.9, CPU is 7.8, and the Hard Drive is what rates at 5.9.

I already am planning on upgrading to an SSD and next top-of-the-line AMD GPU in the next year, then this thing really ought to pack even more of a punch!

Needless to say, as it stands, Skyrim on high looks beautiful, I can run MechWarrior Online without any issues, and everything I've thrown at it it has pretty much destroyed (although the Heaven demo by unigine only got 30fps on average (on high, not ultra), but that is one intensive program.

Unreal Engine gets a constant 120fps, though, so I can finally do some fancy stuff with that!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Hard Drive is what rates at 5.9."

We told you to get an SSD.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2014 16:23
Quote: "It's built! And it is a monster!"

Cool!

Quote: "It also got an Experience Index score of 5.9, which is pretty good!"

Does anyone seriously take any notice of that thing? Completely pointless IMO. Btw my index is 5.9 also. CPU and RAM 7.6, graphics and gaming graphics 7.9 and HDD 5.9.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2014 07:12
Quote: "Does anyone seriously take any notice of that thing?"

When my GTX660 ranks the max 7.9, I'd say no. My overall score is a 7.6 due to my i7-3770K cpu and my 16GB GSkill DDR1600; HDD at 7.9

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Sep 2014 21:21
As promised, here are the pictures!

And here's a video showing my setup!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 00:08
Too many blue lights, even though your ironman-like fan interface is pretty sweet.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 00:23 Edited at: 26th Sep 2014 00:25
Awesome!

My brother and I wanted to get fan controllers for out PCs, and were considering buying that one. Is it any good?

Also... is it just the camera, or is that graphics card flopping?

EDIT: It really looks like you've got a Playstation 2 stuck to the inside front of that thing

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 04:57
@Phaelax:

The blue lights look a lot less bright in real life, the video makes it look a lot more bright than it actually is. Unfortunately I couldn't lower the exposure on my camera anymore to try to dim it out without losing total visibility!

@Clonkex:

The camera was at an odd angle, AND the side window distorted the image a bit, thus making the video card looks like it flops around. It's actually really sturdy, although it does drop towards the end a bit, but it's so slight you don't really see it in real life. The only reason I know for sure that it drops slightly at the end is because a screw fell while I was installing the fans, and it rolled towards the end of the card. The brace on the side holds it up really well, though, so I'm not concerned.

Oh, and I might add different color lights in the future... we'll just have to see. I like blue well enough, I don't want to overdo it, haha!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 05:39
Hehe ok cool I didn't think any graphics card would be that structurally weak

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2014 19:50
Quote: " Hehe ok cool I didn't think any graphics card would be that structurally weak "

The bigger cards without a backplate are known to "droop" at the end. My 7870 does it, but it doesn't affect the card(yet).

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 16:33
Quote: "The bigger cards without a backplate are known to "droop" at the end. My 7870 does it, but it doesn't affect the card(yet)."

Yeah, my 760 is a little droopy at the end, but nowhere near as much as would appear in that photo, which is why I was concerned

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:07:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:07:38