Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Desktop Background Incentive Contest

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 10:14 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 02:33
Greetings folks. I had a good idea, and I figured it would be a great way to get a little productivity out of the GC board. I think a few of these have occurred on the forum before, and I think it's time for another one!!! This is a Desktop Background Incentive Contest. I call it an 'incentive contest' because there won't be any voting or winner or such, but rather, this thread just serves as a "just for fun" incentive/excuse for bored people to create a desktop background and share it with others.

Rules:

-ALL submitted backgrounds MUST be 1 pixel by 1 pixel in resolution. No exceptions.

-Backgrounds should be mostly abstract (pictures taken with a camera are not abstract), and they must be composed entirely of your own work.

-I was kidding about the 1x1 resolution--it can be any resolution you like, but of course standard resolutions are preferred. Resolutions above 1366x768 are preferred, too. Resolutions posted on this thread should only stretch the page minimally, if at all.

-You must have fun while producing your work. If you do not, the wrath of the FEA (Fun Enforcement Agency) will not be fun to go through. They put you in a prison with walls made of sponges, and such.

I have no idea if this will take off or not. It seems like comparable threads got a little bit of activity in the past, but we shall see. I have created a background of my own. It's even in full HD! GIMP didn't quite enjoy that, but I think it turned out okay, considering my skills.

Click for full size

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 11:42
Quote: "ALL submitted backgrounds MUST be 1 pixel by 1 pixel in resolution. No exceptions."

Attached →

Formerly OBese87.

Attachments

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 11:43
It actually makes for a surprisingly nice backdrop →

Formerly OBese87.

Attachments

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 12:30 Edited at: 30th Aug 2014 12:34
Hmm, this seems like a good idea. I like making backgrounds so I'll have a go

Ah, yes of course, I'll start by submitting the one I've been using for the past three years (until I got my 1080p monitor and finally decided to change to 1080p Star Citizen wallpapers). It's a practical, dark background that works well with any number of icons (I used to have a screen full and overflowing with icons) and icons of any colours. It's a 1360x768 size, but scales well to 1080p (except perhaps for the colours.... on some monitors the slight colour changes may cause a bit of banding).

EDIT:

Quote: "GIMP didn't quite enjoy that"

Do you have the latest version? And are you using Windows? On my PC, specific older versions of Gimp had really terrible performance, but I can now handle 1080p no problems. Also, if you're on Windows, the Colour Management part of Gimp can cause significant slowdowns (only in older versions of Gimp I think).

Also: Can you tell I made both my sig and that background?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 12:35 Edited at: 30th Aug 2014 12:35
This is mine.

Attachments

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 15:29
Quote: "This is mine."

Quote: "It is preferred that the background are more on the abstract side"

Well done with that. Have a lemming

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 16:59 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 04:05
Ok, you have awakened the Gear junky in me... I get it... we share out but dream up and are relentless in our expansion... nice rig. Attached is mine. I have refrained from giving a full spec spew. Suffice to say that gear is nice...
edit:sorry about the stretchfest. image is down the bottom via button.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!

Attachments

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 21:34 Edited at: 30th Aug 2014 21:36
@Kezzla - You should hire that stuff out. Could you put the image in a link please? It is stretching the forum's waistband. (However, betaforum deals with it automagically.)

@Seditious - Raw photos are way too busy for me to use as backgrounds. I can only use them if they are grayscale or if it has a really clear subject (like the fishy pic I have posted here before). I much prefer abstract wallpapers. Once I even had a patterned wallpaper that looked like actual wallpaper, which was pretty cool as it turned my monitor into a mini "feature wall"

Formerly OBese87.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2014 21:49 Edited at: 30th Aug 2014 21:50
@Kezzla: Nice stuff!

This is my background.

I struggled to get that orange cable untangled. 40 metres of annoyingness.

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 02:30 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 02:45
@Clonkex Nice! I like the way that looks a lot. Rather abstract, and it's subtle (unlike mine) so icons show up over it quite well.

@Kezzla May I ask that you shrink that image down to a normal size? It's sort of stretching the page a little..

I have changed the rules a little.

Quote: "Do you have the latest version?"
I have 2.8.10 running on Windows 7, and a pretty decent rig (quad core i7). I was doing some pretty intense things, though. Like I filled an entire FHD sized area with a solid color, I erased every other row and column, and then used the 'select by color' tool to select every single one of the presumably hundreds of thousands of dots.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 03:32 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 03:46
Quote: "Could you put the image in a link please? It is stretching the forum's waistband. (However, betaforum deals with it automagically.)"

Yes, I'd appreciate that as well.

Quote: "Raw photos are way too busy for me to use as backgrounds."

Me too.

Quote: "I struggled to get that orange cable untangled. 40 metres of annoyingness."

Haha You know you can get extension lead reel things, right?

Quote: "Like I filled an entire FHD sized area with a solid color, I erased every other row and column, and then used the 'select by color' tool to select every single one of the presumably hundreds of thousands of dots."

Ah, ok, yeah. That'll start to push the limits

Also, I just realised the image is 1200x800, not 1360x768. Of course, I made it for the Hands on AppGameKit Book Cover Competition years ago.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 03:43 Edited at: 31st Aug 2014 03:49
Quote: "That'll start to push the limits"
Yes. The program actually started responding after only like, 15 minutes...

Okay, I have made another one. This one is in regular HD:

There are a few diagonal lines on there that seemed to become jagged for whatever reason, but I'm too lazy to fix it for now.

Attachments

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 04:06
Quote: "You know you can get extension lead reel things, right?"

I know! I have a 25m one, but needed extra cable and didn't see a 40m reel anywhere so just got that huge load of cable. I'm going to try to find a large, empty reel that I can put it on. Being stuck untangling when the wedding ceremony is about to start is rather stressful.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 04:47
Quote: "Being stuck untangling when the wedding ceremony is about to start is rather stressful."

Haha I can relate to that My brother and I were the sound guys for my Uncle's wedding and we had tangled cables running everywhere.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 22:22 Edited at: 1st Sep 2014 07:00
I like these threads ^^

Here is something I made just to get me started...

Click for full 1920x1080 image

EDIT

Linked to resized image

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Sep 2014 02:56 Edited at: 1st Sep 2014 07:01
Thanks, here is another using that font...

EDIT

And one more...

EDIT

And another...

EDIT

Linked to resized images

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:35:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:35:34