Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Character Shop 2 is here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2014 21:37 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2014 21:38
Hi, I've created a Kickstarter campaign for a new version of the old animation and rigging tool called Character Shop many of you used with DBPro and FPSC.

"Boner3D" is a program that takes your non-animated models, applied pre-made animations, and exports a finished animated character ready to use with Dark Basic, FPSC, and other programs. You can check out the Kickstarter campaign here.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2014 22:06
I like the colour encoded vertices, that's clever.

Can this program be used to animate, or can it only import existing skeletons?

UNIX is simple and coherent, but it takes a true genius to understand and appreciate its simplicity -- Dennis Ritchie
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 01:24
I think this is great.

I think that if you could import animation packs and assign specific animation sets and animation order. This would be the ducks nuts.
That and adjust the master scale of the environment so you dont have to keep re exporting your model til it fits just right.

The old version was pretty cool but very basic fpsc style animations.
No unarmed strikes.
No reactions -eg noticing, fright, conversation, emote etc

If you could make it so different animation packs could be bought and mixed. Id pledge as much as I could muster.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 01:36
So, it will only export to FBX? No collada, .x, b3d, md5?

gamer, lover, filmmaker
JoshKlint
Years of Service
User Offline
I have done animated X files in the past, so that is probably a good option.

It's meant to allow import of other animations so people can reuse lots of different animations. it will also come with a lot more animations than the original Character Shop did.

If you are interested I encourage you to back the Kickstarter project so it can happen.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 04:01
Cancelled?

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 04:07
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 4th Sep 2014 04:21
Quote: "Read the update on the Kickstarter page."

oh or course

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 12:40
Kickstarter is an unruly beast. My son and daughter had a successful Kickstarter campaign. BUT NONE of the people who said they would pledge beforehand (around 20 people) made a pledge.

I think the question "Would you pledge to my kickstarter?" is the wrong question to ask.

Questions that imply commitment are better. For example on a simple level "Would you pledge £10 on Kickstarter if I put your name was in the credits?" is a much better question. It may not seem very different, but on a psychological level it is a much higher level of commitment. You agreed to something tangible rather than just a concept.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 12:54
Quote: "Quote: "Cancelled?"

Read the update on the Kickstarter page."

I've just read the update and I'm completely baffled. Is this a real project or not? Do you want us to back it or not? Or what?

Powered by Free Banners
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 14:40
Sounds like a nice undertaking, but setting the goal to 50K USD? Wow...

Also does the cancellation basically mean you walk away with people's investments without any further commitment to what they initially paid for?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 16:22
Kickstarter is based on Goal Achieved, Payout

I have been burned twice by Klints thought processes and will never invest in anything he has to offer again.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 16:47
Are you sure that "boner" is a good title?

- Hey, JoshKlint, do you have any rigging tool?
- Yes, I have a boner right now.

Srsly.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 17:00 Edited at: 5th Sep 2014 17:01
He has a 3D boner. Wait, let me get you some polarized glasses so you can see it in all its beauty. If you want he can even make it a 4D experience .

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linux Torvalds
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 17:06
4D with scent or vibration? Both will be 5D, with moisture will be complete 6D, as in my local cinema.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 17:40
Quote: "
Also does the cancellation basically mean you walk away with people's investments without any further commitment to what they initially paid for?
"

No. When you create a project on KS, you set the goal, in this case, 50k. When you pledge, you say that you will pay x amount of money if the project is successful. I think kickstarter takes that money from your account but they don't pay the creator until later. If the requested money has been gathered when the kickstarter is over, all the backers are charged and the creator gets the money within 2 weeks. If the project fails to get enough money, the money is returned (or not charged at all) and the creator gets nothing, same with the cancelation.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 17:56
Quote: "4D with scent or vibration? Both will be 5D, with moisture will be complete 6D, as in my local cinema."

No Skill Required ™

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linux Torvalds
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 22:47
Quote: "When you create a project on KS, you set the goal, in this case, 50k. When you pledge, you say that you will pay x amount of money if the project is successful. I think kickstarter takes that money from your account but they don't pay the creator until later. If the requested money has been gathered when the kickstarter is over, all the backers are charged and the creator gets the money within 2 weeks. If the project fails to get enough money, the money is returned (or not charged at all) and the creator gets nothing, same with the cancelation.
"

Alright, that's what I thought. Not to be rude but then why set such a high goal? Did he seriously think it would be that popular...?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 5th Sep 2014 23:32
When did he start his Kickstarter? I assumed it was just a couple of days ago, i.e. when he posted here. If so why pull the plug before anyone has had a chance to see it? If not what was the point of the post? I'm inclined to agree with one of the comments on his Kickstarter project. I get the distinct feeling our time has been wasted. Doesn't encourage us to view his work favourably.

Quote: "Are you sure that "boner" is a good title?

- Hey, JoshKlint, do you have any rigging tool?
- Yes, I have a boner right now.

Srsly.
"

Perhaps someone pointed that out to him.