Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Warning: Bash Exploit on Unix systems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 08:46 Edited at: 27th Sep 2014 08:49
This week a very serious exploit in bash was found. It allows an attacker to execute arbitrary bash commands on a computer by setting an environment variable to a specially formatted value. In particular, web servers using CGI store certain HTTP headers in environment variables, allowing an attacker to run arbitrary bash commands on a web server. If you run a Mac or other Unix system, especially one that acts as a web server, you should update bash as soon as possible.

Here is more information on why this happens:
http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q3/650

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 14:44 Edited at: 27th Sep 2014 14:44
Good thing I'm using ZSH

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 04:44
Quote: "Good thing I'm using ZSH "

I too know this feel. ZSH is glorious.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 06:56
Most distributions should have a patch out now to fix this vulnerability. I know Fedora and Arch do at least and probably Debian as well.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 07:37 Edited at: 28th Sep 2014 07:41
This is why I use closed-source software like Windows. No one can view the code and easily hack it, so it's much more secure and only professionals can edit it. Open-source like Unix means anyone can edit it and add viruses and bug's

You get what you pay for I guess. cheapskates had it coming. Notice Windows Servers don't have this problem.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 08:27

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 11:07
Quote: "Most distributions should have a patch out now to fix this vulnerability. I know Fedora and Arch do at least and probably Debian as well.
"

Ubuntu had a fix for it a few days ago I think which I assume means debian also has it.

Also, what Dar said

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 11:40
Seditious is trolling

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2014 21:21
Just a heads up, if you think you don't have to worry about this bug because you're using /bin/sh and not /bin/bash, please note that /bin/sh is most likely a symlink to /bin/bash anyway.

You can test this with:

On my system you can see that /bin/sh is pointing to bash, so sh is also vulnerable.

You can test whether or not your shell is vulnerable by running this command:

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 08:38
Quote: "Just a heads up, if you think you don't have to worry about this bug because you're using /bin/sh and not /bin/bash, please note that /bin/sh is most likely a symlink to /bin/bash anyway."

Always surprised by how many symlinks Linux tends to use. And then you see Android's file system...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 09:30 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 09:31
Quote: "Always surprised by how many symlinks Linux tends to use. And then you see Android's file system..."

It's not like we make symlinks all willy nilly, there's a very structured system behind it. For instance, if you have multiple versions of a shared library on your system, you will always find a symlink pointing to the active shared library:

The same goes with the python interpreter, a symlink points to the active one:

There are command line tools for changing the symlinks. If I need to switch versions of python, I would type:

This would set the symlink so it points at python3.3 instead of python2.7, so any future invocation of "python" would now start python 3.3.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 09:48
Quote: "It's not like we make symlinks all willy nilly"

No no, of course not That's not what I meant. I just meant that Linux uses quite a few symlinks by default (AFAIK... when I think about it I'm mostly going off what I know about the Android file system which we've already determined is considerably different to Linux).

Quote: "For instance, if you have multiple versions of a shared library on your system, you will always find a symlink pointing to the active shared library:"

In Windows the more common solution is to simply point each individual project at the specific version you want. Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you had two projects both using Boost, and each was designed to work with a different version?

Quote: "There are command line tools for changing the symlinks. If I need to switch versions of python, I would type:"

There's CLI tools in Windows for this as well, but AFAIK nothing like this. This is cool. If I didn't somewhat dislike symlinks because of their confusing nature I'd be jealous *googles* Ah I see eselect is specific to Gentoo, but still... very cool

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 10:13 Edited at: 29th Sep 2014 10:16
Quote: "Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you had two projects both using Boost, and each was designed to work with a different version?"

Then you can just link against the required version respectively. Most C++ programmers use cross platform build systems like CMake, which would look like this:

Works on Windows as well as on Linux.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2014 12:19
Quote: "Then you can just link against the required version respectively. Most C++ programmers use cross platform build systems like CMake"

Oh I see

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:16:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:16:20