Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows 10

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 01:57
Quote: "before jumping to conclusions"
Oooh but that is the natural tendency of the brain! I'll take your word for it. My bad.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark Java Dude, how much do you think Microsoft actually cares about our lives?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 02:18
Okay I was silly to say what I did! My bad! Dark Java Dude 64 shall now take the award for "Stupid Comment of the Day".

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 05:48
Quote: "Dark Java Dude, how much do you think Microsoft actually cares about our lives?"

No, but DJD's point was that M$ may sell/give the information to someone who does care. Not to say it's a real problem, just clarifying what I believe DJD meant

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I find it hard to believe anybody in the world would care what I'm googling/face booking/writing in word or any of these privacy concerns everyone is always making a massive fuss over.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 12:30
The point is not whether you care or not, the point is that they're doing it and that it is an invasion of privacy.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 12:33 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 12:41
98=good
ME=crapware
xp=good
vista=crapware
win7=good
win8=crapware
win9=???
win10=crapware

entwine: win9 is good OR so bad that they dare to show to the world

conclusion: ...is so bad. They just want to make windows a stable crapware, with no exceptions.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 12:38 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 12:39
Quote: "I find it hard to believe anybody in the world would care what I'm googling/face booking/writing in word or any of these privacy concerns everyone is always making a massive fuss over."

I agree that it's a big fuss about nothing, but many people feel that they should be able to carry out their own private business in private while still connected to the internet. I don't disagree with the sentiment, I'm just not sure I care.

Quote: "win9=???"

They were unable to release Windows 9 because of compatibility issues with programs that checked for Win95/98 by checking the just the '9'.

Quote: "win10=crapware"

What's wrong with Windows 10? Have you actually tried it? I suggest you watch this video.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 12:46 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 13:47
Disclaimer: all text below is my humble opinion, you should obey may disagree but it will not make Microsoft products better than they look.

Clonkex, why do I ever need win10 when win7 supports 128 GB of ram? (in comparison to upgrade from XP that lack of support of memory and CPUs)

Answer:
a) because they will make GTA 6 that runs only on win10-11-12-etc
b) win7 does not has drivers for CPU that can run GTA 6.

And that marketing trick is so filthy.

I have already asked guys that work in video/graphics world, as their only job, on powerfull machines; thay all say that win7 is enough. Not even w8 or w8.1!

-
And those "changes" was posted earlier are not worth NEW VERSION of OS, it should be a service pack, for free.

-
Also,

Quote: "It's not permanent:

Quote: "We must stress that the feedback being collected in the Windows Technical Preview will only occur within the Technical Preview period. Once Windows 10 launches to the public as RTM, the data Microsoft collects will be removed from the operating system. This isn't a permanent feature within Windows 10, and therefore should not be a concern to your average Joe.""

Microsoft has tested new spyware system. Now they will lie to calm down everyone, and then just hide it deeply. It will be in system as an active or, much like, a sleeping module that will wake up by MS call. How can military or CIA miss such lovely feature?

-
my next update from w7 will be Linux (with Wine).

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 15:05 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 15:21
Quote: "And that marketing trick is so filthy."

It really isn't a marketing trick. It's the advancement of the technology.

Quote: "I have already asked guys that work in video/graphics world, as their only job, on powerfull machines; thay all say that win7 is enough."

Of course! Win7 is a stable, fast and reliable OS with excellent compatibility and a good interface. Win8 is faster but far less compatible and with a tablet-oriented interface (which is terrible for work flow). In addition, there's absolutely no reason for most people to upgrade just yet.

Quote: "And those "changes" was posted earlier are not worth NEW VERSION of OS, it should be a service pack, for free."

No, I agree with that, but M$ have only just begun with Windows 10. They have a whole year of changes before we get the final version and they intend to make it worth the upgrade.

Quote: "Microsoft has tested new spyware system. Now they will lie to calm down everyone, and then just hide it deeply. It will be in system as an active or, much like, a sleeping module that will wake up by MS call. How can military or CIA miss such lovely feature?"

Talk about paranoid. Better get out the aluminium foil...

Quote: "Clonkex, why do I ever need win10 when win7 supports 128 GB of ram?"

I never once said you needed Win10. I just asked you what you believed what wrong with Win10 such that you called it crapware. My question still stands.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 15:26
There are indications that Windows 10 will be free for Windows 8 users, yippie!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 15:56 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 15:57
Quote: "And those "changes" was posted earlier are not worth NEW VERSION of OS, it should be a service pack, for free."

I highly agree.

Win8 wasn't even worth a new version, it's so obviously built on top of the Win7 kernel.

And now they changed a boolean value in the registry to enable the start button again and wow TIME FOR A NEW VERSION OF WINDOWS. Seriously?

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 20:56 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 21:16
Quote: "Talk about paranoid. Better get out the aluminium foil..."

Just wait until keylogs will be leaked.

Quote: "many people feel that they should be able to carry out their own private business in private while still connected to the internet"

Many payment systems and banks worldwide works via internet (or have secondary emergency channel), so what? They as not private business then?
Quote: "
And now they changed a boolean value in the registry to enable the start button again and wow TIME FOR A NEW VERSION OF WINDOWS. Seriously?"

No wait, there will be new internet explorer

1 - [gui] Start Button strikes back
2 - [gui] Windows 10 interface will adapt via Continuum
3 - [gui] Multiple desktops debut
4 - [gui] A unified app store
5 - [gui] Universal apps
6 - [dunno] Flexible security updates
7 - [gui] Improved multitasking
8 - [gui] No more typos in Command Prompt
9 - [dunno what is it] MDM built in

JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!! (throwing money at monitor showing micro$oft.com)

BTW on my office laptop (not gaming) W7 loads for 10-15 seconds. After switch on I have time only to scratch my rear. So if I had faster boot my rear will be itchy. Meh.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 03:21
Quote: "Win8 wasn't even worth a new version, it's so obviously built on top of the Win7 kernel."

Actually Windows 8 had a new tickless kernel with a lot of security enhancements.

Quote: "And now they changed a boolean value in the registry to enable the start button again and wow TIME FOR A NEW VERSION OF WINDOWS. Seriously?"

No, it's far more than that. They've separated the touch-screen and keyboard/mouse code so when you have a keyboard/mouse plugged in, it disables all the silly touch stuff and when you only have a touch-screen it enables the useful touch stuff. Additionally, they've only just begun with the changes. This is a new step for M$, releasing an unfinished version of Windows so early on with a built-in feedback program. It's exciting to think they may actually listen to their customers for once!

Quote: "Just wait until keylogs will be leaked."

Once again, paranoid.

Quote: "Many payment systems and banks worldwide works via internet (or have secondary emergency channel), so what? They as not private business then?"

What does that even mean?

Quote: "1 - [gui] Start Button strikes back
2 - [gui] Windows 10 interface will adapt via Continuum
3 - [gui] Multiple desktops debut
5 - [gui] Universal apps
6 - [dunno] Flexible security updates
7 - [gui] Improved multitasking
8 - [gui] No more typos in Command Prompt
9 - [dunno what is it] MDM built in"

That's a good list of the most notable additions/enhancements to Windows 10.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 04:28 Edited at: 16th Oct 2014 04:35
Quote: "What does that even mean?"

not sure...

Quote: "Once again, paranoid."

Call me Snowden.

Quote: "That's a good list of the most notable additions/enhancements to Windows 10."

I have read that for W8 users this tiny impovements list would be for free, but unknown for W7 and Vista users.

Hmmm. My final words on this discussion:
1) Tiny changelog not worth the major version change, are they walking Firefox way?
2) New windows skin is [ugly-squared crazy-colored by child-with-mspaint'95] puke. Ubuntu or Mac OS are double dominating.
3) Their wet dreamgoal is:

This would all be great if the only challenge for a mobile operating system was offering up a solid product. It's not. Carving out a niche in the seemingly unshakable mobile space -- ruled by the Android-and-Apple duopoly -- still requires a critical mass of users and a lively ecosystem of app developers.

---------

Also, could someone tell me what mythical (as for me) apps are they going to sell for desktop? Office? Internet explorer?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 04:56
Quote: "Ubuntu or Mac OS are double dominating."

So which one are you on then?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 05:11
Have not decided yet, it is not easy. Both sides have strong pros and cons. Right now is WXP (for some old games) and W7.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 05:26
Quote: "I'd recommend reading the whole policy before jumping to conclusions."

Privacy policies don't mean too much nowadays, what with the NSA revelations and such.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 05:43
Vista was good after the service packs. Anyone that disagrees is a hipster IMO.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 10:17
Quote: "Vista was good after the service packs. Anyone that disagrees is a hipster IMO."

I disagree.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 14:29
Quote: "So which one are you on then?"

...but since Ubuntu and Firefox still have not come to mobile devices at full power, i'd go for apple with mobile, as I don't like android.

But I don't know which one is better for gaming, I heard Linux is a one step beyond Mac. Anyways I had to keep one windows machine for many games and DBP, and more likely that I had to keep both WXP and W7

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 19:50
Quote: "I disagree."

What was wrong with it?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 22:28
I think Clockex is just coming out of the Hipster closet, is all.

Vista was awesome. The jump from Vista to 7 imo was way smaller than from 7 to 8 or 8 to 10.

The benefit of 7 over vista was simply the speed. And the newbs could stop complaining about UAC since they lowered the security of the OS by default.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 03:11
Quote: "What was wrong with it?"

I'm not even sure we got the service packs before we moved to Win7, but my overarching memory is one of "I hate this OS!".

Quote: "I think Clockex is just coming out of the Hipster closet, is all."

lol "Clockex" that's new

Quote: "Vista was awesome."

Apparently you never tried to actually do anything, or you wouldn't be saying that. Vista's compatibility with both software and hardware was absolutely atrocious. It crashed constantly with BSODs and hard resets. Not one of our older (pre-2005) games ran without crashing due to clicking to often. And it was SLOW.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 04:33
Maybe if you didn't have enough ram. And I remember, I had it installed the day it was released. Cuz that's just how I roll ¬_¬ It was the first OS of the current modern line. All 7 really offered over Vista less memory consumption. When you had a couple gigs or 4, it was fine, just fairly expensive at the time.

2007.33 0.046 2007 May7 Web NewEgg.com 2097152 94.99 5-5-5-18 2x 1GB DIMM DDR2-800 @ $94.99 free shipping A-Data

http://www.jcmit.com/memoryprice.htm

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 04:44 Edited at: 17th Oct 2014 04:56
Quote: "It crashed constantly with BSODs and hard resets."

I can't say I've had the same problems, who says it wasn't a 3rd party driver you installed?

Quote: "...but since Ubuntu and Firefox still have not come to mobile devices at full power, i'd go for apple with mobile, as I don't like android."

http://imgur.com/gallery/d0YRaB5
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 14:47
Seditious

I did not get it

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 05:31
Because apple is about 4 years behind android?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 10:24
But I don't need antivirus for apple and must-have for android. Touche.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 10:35
Quote: "But I don't need antivirus for apple and must-have for android. Touche."

There are multiple malware suites that specifically attack OSX in the wild now. The days of the virus-free Mac are long gone.

And I believe the issues with Android is the lack of effective sandboxing and straight-up phishing/hoodwinking users to give greater privileges to unknown apps.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There are multiple malware suites that specifically attack OSX in the wild now. The days of the virus-free Mac are long gone."

Yep, I'm rocking Avast for Mac.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 03:33 Edited at: 19th Oct 2014 03:34
What they don't offer one with the OS?

Antivirus released free 4 years ago on Windows

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Security_Essentials#Version_2.0

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 04:39
Quote: "Microsoft has tested new spyware system. Now they will lie to calm down everyone, and then just hide it deeply. It will be in system as an active or, much like, a sleeping module that will wake up by MS call. How can military or CIA miss such lovely feature?"

You are of course aware a lot of data is *already* tracked? On certain websites, on your PC, Phone, Tablet, Smart TV. But these are used for particular features, advertising, marketing and testing purposes. Heck, they can even be used for tracking unlawful activity, though rare for anything to happen, people get caught for it. It's just there's so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so much data, it's not like they can have people watching your every move.

If Microsoft are found to be dishonest on this, there will be several countries with data protection laws they're in violation of (and possibly others) and could easily result in lawsuits and legal action. Given the number of people paranoid by such things and given a computer savvy person can test what data is being sent and received on their network, it wouldn't be too hard for such a person to out Microsoft should they be dishonest. Some bloke already did this with Smart TV's and said situation got a response.

I am sure the tinfoil hat people will think, "yep, total evil corporation right there" in reading that, but I am sure the programmers in us are relating and thinking, 'unfortunate software bug'. And the gamers can always relate in that respect too.

Of course, I don't think you should be too complacent, as governments aren't all sunshine and rainbows. But I wouldn't say it warrants paranoia.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 04:46 Edited at: 19th Oct 2014 04:48
Quote: "http://imgur.com/gallery/d0YRaB5"

Hahaha gotta read the comments on that picture

Quote: "But I don't need antivirus for apple and must-have for android. Touche."

I've never used antivirus on any of my Android devices, and I've never had a problem. The main issue with Android is people's own stupidity in what they download.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 05:13
Vista was terrible. I had to do websphere development on a vista laptop and hated it, my day to day job. Aside from the print spooler simply wasn't stable enough to ever work, Vista was just an ungodly resource hog and ran way too slow. Plus, initial driver compatibility sucked.

The only people who liked Vista were VPs and hipsters!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 10:12
Quote: "What they don't offer one with the OS?

Antivirus released free 4 years ago on Windows"

Actually they do, it's informally called XProtect (although I guess it's officially File Quarantine, but I've never seen a publication actually refer to it by that name). It debuted in Snow Leopard just over five years ago.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 13:40
Quote: "3 - [gui] Multiple desktops debut
8 - [gui] No more typos in Command Prompt"

Welcome to 1986, Windows users!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 13:56
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 14:29
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 15:56
Point taken, but "unified app store" isn't meaning "centralised app store", it just means the apps will be usable from your phone to your PC.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 16:50
TheComet: you kicked Micro$oft right in his bells with a forged boot!

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2014 03:54
The one question I have is how well DBP performs on win10. Will apps work properly or will they crash and burn?

--------
DBP Archive
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 03:50
Quote: "The one question I have is how well DBP performs on win10. Will apps work properly or will they crash and burn?"

Won't know 'til it's released. If they run on Windows 8, however, I'd say there's a good chance they'll work just fine on Windows 10.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 08:12
I look forward to Direct X12 more than Windows 10; and I think Windows 8 turned out to be more a rebranding marketing strategy than a significant update on Windows 7.

I am enjoying my time using Windows 8.1, but at the end of the day most features outside of the start menu are not much different from 7, which I still have on most of my machines.

gamerboots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 03:03
Quote: "If they run on Windows 8, however, I'd say there's a good chance they'll work just fine on Windows 10."
I was thinking the same thing.

--------
DBP Archive
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Jan 2015 16:08
Quote: "but at the end of the day most features outside of the start menu are not much different from 7, which I still have on most of my machines."

You really need to observe closer, closer, closer, Pinched your nose through the screen..

AutoBot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 22:37
Can't believe Windows 10 is coming up already. I remember back when I tried the Windows 8 preview on a VM, didn't really like the changes they made, so I've stuck with Windows 7 ever since I built my rig a few years ago. The only time I've upgraded my OS was with my old PC, going from Vista to 7, which was actually quite a relief as you can imagine. Much faster, an actual working PC. Now it sounds like Windows 10 will provide similar speed-ups, with some better utilities, and DirectX 12 best of all. Plus, isn't Microsoft still offering free Windows 10 upgrades to Windows 7 users? I might really consider upgrading when the official version comes out. My only concern is whether or not my programs will crap out when I upgrade.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2015 23:48 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2015 23:49
Was just looking around on the Windows 10 about page for fun, saw some interesting things:

Quote: "Project Spartan is an all‑new browser built to deliver a better web experience. You can write directly on webpages from your PC, read articles distraction‑free, and save your favorites to read offline later. "
IE replacement? Something in me says it won't be much different, just an effort to escape from IE's negative connotation.

Quote: "It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months."
Interesting that Windows 7/8.1 Enterprise users will not be able to upgrade for free!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
If Spartan is truly all new, then it'll do more than just escape the negative connotation - if it's build from the ground up it'll be fully standards compliant, which is the main gripe with IE. Although, hasn't it improved massively in the last few years?

I'd not expect enterprise users to get the free upgrade.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2015 00:06
Quote: "Although, hasn't it improved massively in the last few years"
I think so, but I haven't been using it much.

Quote: "I'd not expect enterprise users to get the free upgrade."
Gotcha. What is the enterprise version, exactly? I have never been sure.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 00:14:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 00:14:10