Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone use google contacts?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 17:49
Just doing a little research on a project I'm working on. So if you use google contacts, what do you like about it? What do you hate? What features do you think it's missing?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 21:59 Edited at: 10th Oct 2014 22:02
I use them all the time...

Good
They are available anywhere I have Gmail access
They are in my Android and iPhone contact list
They are always synced between all devices immediately
You can search by any part of the name or email address. or physical address or phone number
I can click on a contact and go straight to SatNav (if address is entered)
Android SatNav searches in contacts
I can say "OK Google, Navigate to Bob's house" and it knows to get the address from my contacts and start satnav.

Bad
It can get messy if you autosave all email contacts
It can hold too much information. You can get into the Google philosophy of not deleting old data.
Google may know too much about my life

Missing
Telling you which contacts you rarely use, to help with housekeeping

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 23:12
I came into this thread hoping it was a contacts version of Google Glass.

To answer your question though, I probably don't know enough people to use it to the full extent. I've just got a few people and their email / phone.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 00:21
Quote: "They are in my Android and iPhone contact list"

This is the reason I plan on developing my own address book. Right now, I'm looking at the contacts on my phone, google, iExplorer and CopyTrans. The phone and google should be synced, and the latter two programs pull directly from the iphone, and yet they all have differences. Importing my contacts from google into thunderbird didn't copy over everyone's addresses, only some. Export directly from google does not include contact photos. Nothing out there seems to work 100% and I don't get it because it shouldn't be that difficult!

Right now I'm painfully copying all my contacts manually, checking each source to ensure all data is there. Then I'll wipe my address book completely and reenter with a fresh start.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 08:44
Quote: "Anyone use google contacts?"
At first when I read this (I'm tired right now), I thought Google Contacts was the successor to Google Glass.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 13:09
Quote: "I came into this thread hoping it was a contacts version of Google Glass."

lol

No, I've never used Google Contacts. Well AFAIK I haven't. I mean, I use the address book on Android... dunno if that counts Admittedly I have no one I really contact. Mum and my brother, pretty much.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 17:18
Quote: " thought Google Contacts was the successor to Google Glass."

We're not that far advanced... yet.

I don't use android, but doesn't it have to link to a google account? I bet if you login to gmail with the account you use on your phone it'll list all your contacts. Could be wrong though.

I have a lot of military contacts in mine, and it can get pretty annoying when they get mixed up. I might think I'm yelling at some private to clean the toilets but suddenly finding out it swapped his name with my 1sg. Not good!

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 21:38
Quote: "I have a lot of military contacts in mine, and it can get pretty annoying when they get mixed up. I might think I'm yelling at some private to clean the toilets but suddenly finding out it swapped his name with my 1sg. Not good!"

Do you mean it is mixing up the contacts in the sync/transfer or you start typing one and don't realize it auto-completed the wrong one?

Also, may not help that problem, but iCloud contacts allows you to form groups of contacts (so I'm sure Google does as well). You could stuff all your military contacts into a "Work" group, which may just help you stay organized if nothing else.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2014 02:29
It's after the sync. It'll randomly merge contacts or just make a bunch of duplicates. And one day it just randomly decided to scramble on the contact photos.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 03:36
Quote: "I don't use android, but doesn't it have to link to a google account? I bet if you login to gmail with the account you use on your phone it'll list all your contacts. Could be wrong though."

Yeah it links it. That's why I said "AFAIK I haven't", because I'm not sure if your contacts are automatically synced to your Google account.

Quote: "I have a lot of military contacts in mine, and it can get pretty annoying when they get mixed up. I might think I'm yelling at some private to clean the toilets but suddenly finding out it swapped his name with my 1sg. Not good!"

Ouch, that's not good. I hope for your sake your 1sg realised it was a mistake!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:35:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:35:28