Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Favourite game trailer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2014 23:51
This trailer has me hooked. I don't want the game, just the trailer.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 02:19
This and always this...

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 09:42
"A multi million dollar production across 3 CD-ROMS"
Lol

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 13:07
Quote: "Lol "

Why is that funny? it was one of the first games of its era to hit such a budget...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2014 13:08
Quote: "This trailer has me hooked. I don't want the game, just the trailer."

Ooh, The Impossible Game. It's really hard. I've owned it on my Nexus 7 for years and still haven't reached the end. My brother has, though. Also LOL at the trailer - haven't seen that one before

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2014 02:31
Quote: "Why is that funny? it was one of the first games of its era to hit such a budget..."

It's funny cause it still looks terrible!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 16:59 Edited at: 13th Oct 2014 17:03
Quote: "A multi million dollar production across 3 CD-ROMS"

In 1997, they were still selling MS Office on Floppy disk. Games on CDs were generally a very empty CD with just a few megabytes of data. So 3 CDs in 1997 - mindblowing!

Quote: "Microsoft Office 97 Standard edition is provided on a total of 45 diskettes. Microsoft Office 97 Professional edition is provided on a total of 55 diskettes. Depending on the options selected during Setup, you may not be prompted for every diskette."

How about this for 1997 hi-tec digital photography....

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 17:17

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 18:02
I'd have to go back, way WAY back to the long ago... to the Killzone E3 trailer from 2009:

For me it's the perfect trailer, apart from the game not being all that much like it in the end of course - but it makes you want to play the game, it created a hunger for super-realistic effects and truly tactile controls in a FPS.

As for that game Batvink shows... damn you Indie game market, you been and gone and did exactly what we hoped you wouldn't, you've started copying yourself and started trying to convince us that a square and a triangle are things that we should care about. Thomas Was Alone? - good, leave the little git there to rot!

I am the one who knocks...
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 18:11 Edited at: 13th Oct 2014 18:17
Ah, I miss using floppy disks. I remember always buying the Maxell assorted colour packs. In them days WinZip was so needed.

It is astonishing when you really think about it; going back 10 years earlier than then when games where on casettes, even with just 128 kilobytes you could load up and enjoy video games for hours with your friends; now we can download gigabytes worth of game assets on a smart phone.

@TheComet
Now that is what you call a proper video game; I am not sure why they do not make more of these goat simulators. They keep bringing out all of these CoD and Assasins Creed releases every year, but when it comes to goat games, there are only a few of them available. Thanks for posting that.

@Van B
Wicked trailer; even though it was from a while back, it manages to draw you in so well; but I still think the best trailer so far was for the game about goats.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 18:19 Edited at: 13th Oct 2014 18:20
Quote: " started trying to convince us that a square and a triangle are things that we should care about"

There's a famous 1940s psychology experiment where a triangle chases a smaller triangle around a square, until a circle intervenes and lets the triangle into the square for protection. This description is exactly what it's about...a few shapes move around and we give them personalities and traits. There's no need for realism to get people engrossed.

Quote: "Ah, I miss using floppy disks. I remember always buying the Maxell assorted colour packs."

Here you go, don't drool too much. It's disk (with a 'k') 1 of my Visual Basic 3 backup.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 18:26
I think I want to buy a floppy drive now.

Infact one day I might find one of these babies in the picture below in good condition and start creating games the old fashion way.

I would have been interesting if there were a TGC contest for creating a game the old fashion way on a Spectrum 128 or Commodore 64 or something even though I'd probably lose.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 18:34
I think it was VanB that made a spectrum loading screen for one of his Retro competition entries, multicoloured scrolling lines, screeching and all.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2014 19:02
This thread is meandering fast, but I'm combining retro with simple games from shapes.

Back in 1971, this study was all about letting the mind fill in the full picture, and also be deceived. I'm sure some good game ideas could come from this kind of thought delusion.

It's also fascinating to see the technology from 1971!

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 10:34 Edited at: 14th Oct 2014 11:31
In a Bazaar twist, my favorite game trailer no longer seems to exist.

Somewhere around 2004 my brother and I bought an Xbox magazine and on the game disk was the E3 Silent hill 4 -the room trailer.

We were both totally blown away by the sheer brilliance of the piece. I had it for years and watched it for years too, then it mysteriously went missing.

No Probs, I will just find it online. Search results for the trailer appeared readily enough. However...

The trailer was not the same.

It had been remixed into something that nowhere near as good as the original.

No matter where I looked and no matter what language I downloaded it for, It was almost as though it never existed.

In a last effort to find it I took the footage from the remixed trailer and tried to remix it back.
I put it on youtube so that if someone saw it and knew where to find the original then they could point me to it.

So here is the closest thing that exists to my favorite trailer.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 11:34
I think this is an amazing trailer:

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 11:48
The Silent Hill trailer was probably groundbreaking for it's time, crossing the boundary between film and game trailers.

Dead Island - watch the Goat simulator trailer again and spot where it got the inspiration!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 17:30
BatVink, I had one of those cameras! It was awesome! lol

This "trailer" was the homepage of the game before it launched. So I guess it was more of a teaser.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 23:31
The original Portal teaser trailer was really cool. At that time nobody knew that it would be anything other than just a puzzle game.

Also this trailer for my old iPhone game of course

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 00:42

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 05:33
Ah, Comet! Perfect trailer! Now why didn't I think of posting that...

Quote: "Ah, I miss using floppy disks."

Seriously?? I hate floppy disks! One wrong move and POOF the data's gone! They were horrifically slow, too. And just when you thought it was safe to press the big, chunky button that lifted and ejected the disk, it would start grinding away again. And you dare not press the button while it's making any kind of noise or you'll lose everything.

Quote: "It's disk (with a 'k') 1 of my Visual Basic 3 backup."

AFAIK there's no difference between 'disc' and 'disk' and you can spell it either way. I generally use disk, but randomly use disc.

Quote: "The original Portal teaser trailer was really cool. At that time nobody knew that it would be anything other than just a puzzle game."

Ah, Portal. The first story-driven FPS I ever played (aside from Doom, Heretic and HeXen)! And it was FREAKING. AWESOME. After playing Portal we learned that it used the HL2 engine and finally convinced our parents to let us buy and play HL2. It that... well, that was life-changing.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "AFAIK there's no difference between 'disc' and 'disk' and you can spell it either way. I generally use disk, but randomly use disc."

Disc is to be used in the context of a compact disc , disk refers to a hard disk drive or a floppy disk.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 15:45
Disk is actually short for diskette

Pretty sure disc is short for discus as in a small round shield thrown in the olympics or something...

Or maybe this...

Quote: "They chose the term "compact disc" in line with another Philips product, the compact cassette.[9] Rather than the original 20 cm size, the diameter of this compact disc was set at 11.5 cm, the diagonal measurement of a compact cassette.[9]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc#undefined

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 16:20
I think Disc is for things like CD roms, that are simply a round disc with no other parts.

A Disk though, is short for diskette, meaning a disk inside a protective case, like a floppy disk.

That Portal trailer is awesome - I remember playing that at first, dubious as hell - to me it seemed like a gimmick, like Valve had decided to go for the casual market with a nice friendly puzzle game. Within a few minutes of playing though, it soon becomes apparent that Portal is a far more interesting and enjoyable game than I'd assumed. I even managed to convince my brother to play through the co-op Portal2 stuff, that was fun - shouting abuse at each other for about a week but we both got hooked and determined to get through it. I think the whole idea behind Portal is great though, the way it plays just makes sense - like an extremely complex system with thousands of possible actions and reactions and the player is just left to figure it out. There's a real sense of achievement when you solve a tricky puzzle, especially when GlaDOS starts getting annoyed

I am the one who knocks...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 18:33
Quote: "The first story-driven FPS I ever played (aside from Doom, Heretic and HeXen)"

I would hardly call Doom story-driven, but to each their own!

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 19:24
I'm gonna have to go with the last guardian trailer. It makes me all emotional, partly because of my experience with ico and shadow of the colossus, partly because they picked an amazing piece of music, and partly because I was so excited about it after seeing this only for the game never to materialize.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 01:29
@wattywatts

This video is not available in your country...

Perfect...

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 02:43
Quote: "This video is not available in your country..."

How about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i0TV5r0CSc
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 03:02
Quote: "Disc is to be used in the context of a compact disc , disk refers to a hard disk drive or a floppy disk."

Quote: "Disk is actually short for diskette"

Quote: "I think Disc is for things like CD roms, that are simply a round disc with no other parts.

A Disk though, is short for diskette, meaning a disk inside a protective case, like a floppy disk."

Well, I'll be... I always knew which way around they were commonly used, but I'm sure I read somewhere they could be used interchangeably. Learn something new every day... mostly by reading this amusing article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1143421/disc_v_disk.html

Quote: "I would hardly call Doom story-driven, but to each their own!"

It's story-driven if you read the 44-page readme!

Quote: "This video is not available in your country..."

Typical American... not available in Australia either JK, Americans are totally a-typical

Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 04:47 Edited at: 16th Oct 2014 05:10
I never saw anything on Amra 3 till I saw this, wish this was an official trailer!

'You can't simulate this love' < this bit kills me!

But an actual offical trailer, it goes to this:

"Get in the Van!" - Van B
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 10:02
Quote: "But an actual offical trailer, it goes to this:"

That's.... somewhat terrifying...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:30:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:30:03