Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Bought my first IPS monitor

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 04:10
My Westinghouse was dying on me. For the past year or so it's had a few vertical lines on one side, but not bad enough that it bothered me all that much. But then the picture started cutting out and scrambling until I power it off/on.

So I bought an Asus PA248Q which I got price-matched for $286.67. And I'll get an additional $20 back from a mail-in rebate. It is a 16:10 ratio monitor, which was my primary requirement.

So far it's a pretty awesome monitor. Complete swivel, tilt, height adjustment, a very easy to use OSD (unlike the westinghouse). Built-in 4-port USB3 hub, which is handy since my pc case doesn't have any front usb3 ports. Matte screen and a very sharp picture with beautiful color reproduction. Plus, it has probably one of the sturdiest stands I've see on an LCD. You can shake the desk and it sits almost as rock solid as a CRT.

Not a huge gamer these days, but I'll play some Diablo tonight and see how this 6ms response time looks.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 15:13 Edited at: 14th Oct 2014 15:21
I had similar money to spend on a new monitor a couple of months ago, ended up with a BenQ gaming monitor with nVidia3D support and 144hz mode which is pretty nice... http://www.techmagnifier.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/benq-gaming-monitor.jpg

Looks like a good monitor you got, it's funny how easily a budget can be stretched when you find better and better monitors - I originally wanted to spend about $220, but ended up spending £240, or about $400! - glad I did though, I held onto my last monitor for far too long. I like playing BF4 at 144hz, it's a whole different sport at that rate

I'd like an IPS monitor but probably not on my main PC, would rather have an extra PC just for artwork with a good Wacom setup to go with it... and a spaceball - wanted one of those things for ages for modelling. One day.

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2014 17:06 Edited at: 14th Oct 2014 19:28
I didn't want to spend any money on a monitor cause I just spent $200 on the new UPS. And I do have a secondary monitor I use, a Dell KX2153. It's a very nice monitor for $100 but not good enough in my opinion as a main display. Plus this new one comes with a 3 year warranty against even a single dead pixel.

Oh and apparently it supports picture-in-picture.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 00:54
omg do you plan on gaming during long power outages? lol

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "omg do you plan on gaming during long power outages? lol"

You don't?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 06:34
Quote: "I like playing BF4 at 144hz, it's a whole different sport at that rate "

You must have BF4 on an SSD.

A couple of months ago my brother and I both bought BenQ RL2455HM 24" Gaming Monitors. We're very happy with these and have had no issues so far. It's probably placebo effect, but I'm convinced I can feel the reduced lag in high-FPS games. We spent $217 on them.

The month before that we (as in, our family) spent $169 on a new UPS. Big hunk of a thing, it is. 1200VA/720W. Yours has a bigger output, Phaelax, but the battery must be about the same size, so full load yours won't last as long (but it DOES have a bigger output, so that's to be expected). Now that I compare them more closely, they're very similar and I bet they'd last almost identical times with the same load. Oh wait, yours is active-PFC compatible! THAT'S why it costs so much more!

Quote: "You don't?"

Who doesn't?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 07:02 Edited at: 15th Oct 2014 07:14
No but with an old house, power outages can be frequent. Though usually short, I still like having the option to save and close things properly when it does go out. And a UPS that only lasts 2min wouldn't be sufficient.

According to the UPS, while playing games I'm only drawing 250w of power.

Quote: "Oh wait, yours is active-PFC compatible! THAT'S why it costs so much more! "

It seemed worth the extra $30

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 08:12
Quote: "No but with an old house, power outages can be frequent. Though usually short, I still like having the option to save and close things properly when it does go out. And a UPS that only lasts 2min wouldn't be sufficient."

You realise we're joking about playing games on a UPS, right? Also I'll bet we get more outages than you, what with good 'ol 70's wiring that goes "drick" if you turn on the drier and dishwasher together, drier and washing machine, drier, toaster and microwave and variety of others. Plus we've got good quality Australian substations and transformers that causes frequent brownouts and blackouts in the slightest storm.

Quote: "According to the UPS, while playing games I'm only drawing 250w of power."

When our sisters play GMod and Minecraft on Dad's big PC (the one on the UPS) we draw about 360w.

Quote: "It seemed worth the extra $30"

Actually it's more like $60 when you take into account the difference between AUD and USD.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2014 16:27
Quote: "You must have BF4 on an SSD."

Yeah, it's kinda vital with BF4 - with a normal hard drive a match can be over by the time it eventually loads, an SSD makes a huge difference. I also do some tweaks, like disabling depth of field when zooming and stuff like that - but the graphic details are still pretty good. I probably only get standard speeds on the large scale conquest matches, but on say, Domination with 32 players, it runs really nicely and movement is much more fluid than I'm used to. I was playing BF4 on a standard HD with a 70hz monitor, and it just ruins the game IMO. Now though, they added a startup delay so that people with fast PC's don't start the match before people without... kinda sucks when your still left waiting on matches after spending a lot of money on upgrades just to deal with BF4 issues

I am the one who knocks...
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 03:22
Quote: "Now though, they added a startup delay so that people with fast PC's don't start the match before people without... kinda sucks when your still left waiting on matches after spending a lot of money on upgrades just to deal with BF4 issues "

Haha yeah and I appreciated the delay with my pathetically slow 7200rpm HDD

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 01:22
Quote: " Also I'll bet we get more outages than you, what with good 'ol 70's wiring"

This house was built in the 40s, and the only outlet in the whole house with a proper ground is in the kitchen. The bathroom is suppose to have a gfi outlet, but the ups indicates a wiring fault when using it. So right now I use an industrial extension cord running from my kitchen to the bedroom.

I wonder what it'd cost to run a proper line to my room.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 00:35
Quote: "This house was built in the 40s, and the only outlet in the whole house with a proper ground is in the kitchen. The bathroom is suppose to have a gfi outlet, but the ups indicates a wiring fault when using it. So right now I use an industrial extension cord running from my kitchen to the bedroom."

Ah, ok. Well you're definitely more worse off than we.

Quote: "I wonder what it'd cost to run a proper line to my room."

Yeah, not sure. Depends how your house is built, though. If it's up on blocks and not sitting on the ground the electrician should be able to run the wire underneath the floor. Alternatively, if you've got roofspace he should be able to run it up there. From what I can remember of having wires run in our house it shouldn't be massively expensive.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 00:44
you can save money if you do all the work yourself and have your electrician inspect/wire it all up.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2014 01:41
Quote: "you can save money if you do all the work yourself and have your electrician inspect/wire it all up."

You're not allowed to do that in some countries (not even run the wires), so best ask an electrician first.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 08:53:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 08:53:33