Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Your thoughts: DRM, consoles vs PC, etc

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2014 04:32
Quote: " Circumvent SafeDisk. Screw the DRM, it's a legal grey-zone anyway. AFAIK there are no laws that explicitly prevent it. Why won't it install? "

DRM isn't really a legal grey zone as you have to accept the EULA in order to use the software. What's grey is some of the provisions in the EULA.

@wattywatts
Look for a program called safedisc hider(IIRC). It hides the virtual status of non-hardware mounted ISOs and thus bypasses SafeDisc.

wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2014 04:43
Quote: "Why won't it install?"

I haven't been able to figure that out, the installer gets to a point and then hangs. All I've really been able to find out is that some of the folks who've had the same issue were able to fix it by circumventing Safedisk.

Quote: "Look for a program called safedisc hider(IIRC)."

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Well technically he hasn't agreed to the EULA because he hasn't been able to install it? :-P
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2014 15:48
It seems from what he was saying that it hangs during the installation process itself rather than the boilerplate beforehand. *shrug* in any case, it's inconsequential. I hope the SafeDisc Hider works for him.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 05:31
Quote: "Well technically he hasn't agreed to the EULA because he hasn't been able to install it? :-P"

Excellent point

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 01:25
I've opened some discs with a note in them saying that "By opening this disc, you've agreed to the terms bla bla bla..."

Always thought that was a little sketchy though, not sure if it would hold up. But there's still other laws involved when it comes to copyrighted material and bypassing DRM depending on your nation, I'm sure.
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2014 01:47
Quote: "Always thought that was a little sketchy though, not sure if it would hold up. But there's still other laws involved when it comes to copyrighted material and bypassing DRM depending on your nation, I'm sure."

Bypassing DRM is illegal in the US, but situations like this where the consumer is unable to use the software have no legal precedent as far as I know. So it's a grey area. If you have a link to such a case I'd love to read it though.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
FLAME123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2014 22:40
I've actually been avoiding Steam altogether for about 3 months now, I find their privacy functions to be lackluster to say the least. All of my PC gaming currently comes from gog, desura, origin <<<(how clients should be done), uplay and good ol' Oblivion.

And to be honest, it ain't too shabby.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I find their privacy functions to be lackluster to say the least"

And you need privacy on Steam... why?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 06:51
Quote: "And you need privacy on Steam... why?"

That's what I was thinking...

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 07:43
Quote: "And you need privacy on Steam... why?"

Cheating, trolling, who knows?
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 08:06
not sure what he's talking about though; you can set your profile to private, making only your friends available to see your profile - how's that not enough is the question..

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 23:12

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:15:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:15:24