Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Trying to make a "leaf"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 22:33
I'm trying to make a leaf-like structure. Imagine a lemon, and peeling away about a 20% segment of the skin in one piece. That's what I'm trying to achieve. But I'm stuck and hoping someone can help

I've made the full shape I want in Wings 3D, from which I want to take my segment. It's a sphere that has been molded slightly. To texture it, it obviously needs to be double sided, and a standard sphere is single sided.

I thought that Shell Extrude would do the job. So I selected all faces, Shell Extrude | Normal. I press tab for numerical input and enter 0.02. Now I have a very thin double-sided shape. If I go inside with the camera, it has worked

But I am stuck on the next bit, where I want to keep a segment 6 faces wide, and remove the rest. How on earth do I do this? I've tried cutting and dissolving and all manner of things with no success.

Attached is a package of the object in various formats if anyone can help. The ones ending in _d are the extruded double-sided version

Thanks for any help you can give!

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2014 22:36 Edited at: 17th Oct 2014 22:36
This is the section I want to keep in red...

Attachments

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 03:38
The online documentation sucks big time...

Try creating a cube over the areas you wish to remove and look for intersect options and then place a sphere within the confines of the innards and then clip again... usually how I have seen it done...

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 04:07 Edited at: 18th Oct 2014 04:15
Okay this is simple if I understand what you want. Select the section you want in edge mode and loop cut. Select the new inside face of the section and intrude. If you need any other help with wings post here. Wings is great program once you know what it can do.
I have attached an example.

P.S. If you want to bend it like a leaf. Select vertex mode then bend, plastic, then pick the center then one end then a face in the direction you want to bend it.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 11:41
Perfect!
Thank you

So did you loop cut the shell extruded version or the single skinned version?

I tried the Plastic bend but couldn't see any differences. I selected a fairly central vertice as the rod centre, then the top of the shape for the rod top, then tried different planes for the normal. I guess that because I don't know what the outcome is, I don't know how to control it.

Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 18:17
I loop cut the single skinned version.
Keep experimenting with the different bend selections until you get the result you are looking for.
Also try the deform selections if you are trying to make old dry crumbled leaves.
Here is a video from a Wings3d artist who also helps develop wings.
He makes a flower in this video.
Check out his other tutorial videos on his you tube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4w7GLvx8Xc

Also check out the wings forums, especially the gallery for other
tutorials. (Shameless plug) some of my art work is in the gallery.

So far I have only made one tutorial video for wings3d, I will be making more in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jJXrlab2xw&list=UUSQkjwB-lNTsDTva5yc3nEA

[img][/img]

Stab In The Dark Editor
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2014 21:44 Edited at: 18th Oct 2014 21:44
Thanks for all the links, very useful. And now I know what ambient occlusion is from your video

I'll spend some time on the videos, as I keep destroying my attempts. I used your segment and built the rest of my model in Wings. Then I put it into TrueSpace to render because I got stuck again, on rendering. YayaFray constantly crashes out on me

In one of the linked videos the Absolute Rotate tool has loads of options. Mine doesn't have a parameters window with the number of duplicates, spacing, rotation etc. Am I missing something?

Here's my finished model...

Attachments

Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 03:23
Sorry, I forgot to check if he was using one of his custom plugins for wings. He helps develop wings while building new plugins.
There is a link in the video description to the post about the plugin if you want to install it.
I use povray from with in wings and it works well. You would need to download and install povray then you can access it from wings.
Your rendering looks good. Is that what you originally intended?

Stab In The Dark Editor
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2014 23:55
Quote: "Your rendering looks good. Is that what you originally intended?"

It's a logo for my son's band. Anything better than the hand scrawled version is good!

The logo is actually from a different angle (furthest leaf hidden from view), but this render shows the shape better.

I'm looking forward to making it rotate, once TrueSpace's animation controls behave for me. Tried a 90 degree rotation over 90 frames and...nothing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:00:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:00:19