Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / graphicshelp, conflicting irq

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 18:40 Edited at: 4th Nov 2014 19:08
Long story short, took a harddrive from an HP laptop with Win7 already on it and put it into a dell (latitude 3521) laptop that had a failed drive with Win8. Installed all the drivers from dell's site but I can't get graphics to work.

I believe it's just the Intel HD4000 graphics, but device manager is telling me the display adapter "device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (code 12)"

According to the error from MS, it's a resource conflict. And the only solution I can find says to locate the conflict and remove it. Well duh!

I've checked in system information (msinfo32) and the Intel HD Graphics is using IRQ 7 and nothing else appears to use 7.

I'm thinking previous AMD drivers are causing the issue, but I've tried uninstalling Catalyst twice now yet it still lists under Programs and Features.

At this point I'm wondering if it'd be easier wiping the drive and starting from scratch with a fresh install.

Btw, it's an Intel 2117U 1.8GHz

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 00:39
With windows you can't easily transfer from one motherboard to another and expect it to work properly. You're lucky it booted at all. You should reinstall.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "With windows you can't easily transfer from one motherboard to another and expect it to work properly. You're lucky it booted at all. You should reinstall."

Pfffft. I've put my hard drive in another computer and booted just fine.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 04:56 Edited at: 5th Nov 2014 04:57
Keyword was expect. I didn't say impossible Many times I've tried it across many OSes it's BSODed. Tho windows 7/8 seem to have gotten a lot better at dealing with it.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 05:07
Quote: "I've put my hard drive in another computer and booted just fine."
This is actually relevant to a question I currently have. A computer I have recently died (after not being used for seven months or so), and it has some important information on it. I took the hard drive out, and I am wondering if I can use another functioning computer to get the data needed off of it. Maybe not looking to boot from that drive, but the computer I thinking of runs a different operating system, etc. Anyone have any advice on this?

Sorry to detract from the topic of this thread; this seems like an appropriate place to put it.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " I took the hard drive out, and I am wondering if I can use another functioning computer to get the data needed off of it"

If memory serves, it takes Windows aaaaaageees to open the user folder of a different installation. No idea why. It just sits there with a green bar slowly filling up when you double click. I've booted from another HDD and used the PC just fine as I said.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 05:28
You can just run your Win 7 setup disk, do an upgrade or reinstall, umm forgot how it goes but basically you keep all folders, it shoves stuff into a folder called windows.old and you have a fresh installation with access to drivers and data still on the drive, no need to format unless you have a backup of all data anyway...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 12:20 Edited at: 5th Nov 2014 12:23
Hmm... While I'm strongly resistant to saying this (mostly because I hate it when people suggest that to me - I usually feel like saying, "well DUH if I was going to reinstall I wouldn't have posted here"), it would probably be easier to reinstall. Unfortunately I have 0 experience with solving IRQ conflicts. As bitJericho said, you're lucky it booted at all.

Quote: "With windows you can't easily transfer from one motherboard to another and expect it to work properly. You're lucky it booted at all."

True dat.

Quote: "Many times I've tried it across many OSes it's BSODed. Tho windows 7/8 seem to have gotten a lot better at dealing with it."

Yeah, BSODs are normal when moving boot HDDs between computers. Win7 is better, but far from perfect.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 13:38
Clonkex, What?

Mind you I have tools for migrating from computer to computer without issues

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 18:00 Edited at: 5th Nov 2014 18:27
I think the last time I've had to worry about IRQ conflicts was on an old socket 5 motherboard. I thought Windows had resolved this stuff ages ago.

I got one more thing to try then I'll just reformat. There's nothing on the drive I need, was just trying to save time by using the existing install from an old drive. Some time saver eh?

Well I just remembered why I didn't do a new install to begin with. CD-rom doesn't work in this stupid laptop! And I can't get it to boot from usb either.

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 18:27
Quote: "Well I just remembered why I didn't do a new install to begin with. CD-rom doesn't work in this stupid laptop!"

There is actually a tool on the Windows website to create an install package onto a USB stick...

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There is actually a tool on the Windows website to create an install package onto a USB stick..."

Quote: "And I can't get it to boot from usb either."
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2014 23:36
Quote: "Posted: 5th Nov 2014 17:27"

Quote: "Edited: 5th Nov 2014 17:27"

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 01:16 Edited at: 6th Nov 2014 01:19
You can create a partition, place the setup files on that partition (copy paste off an ISO or network share), run the setup files, and you can then reinstall on the C drive cleanly. Once it's installed, you can delete your setup partition and extend the c drive. Uh... and don't mess up If your usb/cd won't boot, you may want to leave the setup partition just in case. I bet there's a guide out there that you could even make that partition bootable.

Quote: "Mind you I have tools for migrating from computer to computer without issues "

Migration tools are different than plugging in a hard drive from a completely different PC and expecting it to boot.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:01
I've upgraded Windows before by using a cdrom on another computer as a network share drive.

Laptop tried doing a pxe boot yesterday... That could be a possible option. But I think BJ (can i call you BJ bitJerico?) has the best option.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2014 23:41
Quote: "You can create a partition, place the setup files on that partition (copy paste off an ISO or network share), run the setup files"

I didn't know you could that. That's pretty cool. I mean, I guess it's kind of a custom recovery partition.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 04:29 Edited at: 11th Nov 2014 04:30
I prefer Jer for short.

Quote: "I didn't know you could that. That's pretty cool. I mean, I guess it's kind of a custom recovery partition."

Indeed, but it does require booting to windows to run the installer, which makes it not quite as useful as you'd think. I seem to recall it only allowing an upgrade too, but that might have been vista.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 04:46
Actually, just use F8 on your old install during boot, then use command prompt to activate the install partition...

Forgot the name of the tool lol 😁 even though I just used it a few days ago ... Need sleep...

Ah DISKPART

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:20:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:20:51