Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Old files on Android device

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 04:56
When trying to run my app on my tablet using the AppGameKit player, my app is coming up in a state that suggests that it is reading old setup files.

Is there a way to delete these old files?

home.wavecable.com/~mindsclay
mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 05:42
I tested this out using a new app. Once the app runs, it keeps running the same even though I make changes. It is stuck in the original version. Any changes I make do not show up on the android device.

mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 06:02
My bad. Apparently an array is not being populated on the Android device. I try printing the values to the screen but nothing shows. This would explain the seeming "old state".

Is there any limitation to array size or number of dimensions??

It works fine on a PC.

mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 06:17
Upon further investigation, I open the file used for populating the array but the data will not print the string to screen. When I use a smaller file I can print the data string.

Then the same first file but with less data, also no print. Hmm...

This doesn't make sense. Why would one file string print but not the other?

This does not work on Android device:

mindsclay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 06:25
Really?

I tried the smaller file again and it now will not print.

It seems like there is some sort of cache issue. Or is the file not being read??

It did work earlier.

The AppGameKit player is the Aug 6, 2013 build. Could this be the issue?

I am still using the old AppGameKit as I am having issues with V2 alpha 8.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2014 21:19
I use some pretty large files on android, no issues.
One thing to check would be the file name. They are case sensitive on Android, so that can mess things up.
I don't think there's a limit on array size (other than the standard integer limit). It'd also be strange to run up against memory issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to be a file read issue.
The AppGameKit player build, unfortunately, doesn't tell much because the string of the build wasn't always updated.
In agk 10824 there is a player APK in the installation directory. You might want to install that on your device.
If you're using Android 2.3.x the player will store data in an accessible folder on the sdcard under AGK. You might want to try clearing that out if that is the case.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 00:02
As Naphier says, the letter case in file names matters on Android. It must be exactly the same in the code as the actual file.

Also, Android doesn't like spaces in file names or directories. So, avoid that as well.

Finally, if you are testing multiple apps through a player, you should probably clear the app data on the Android device. This is done through the Settings app. Go to the Application Manager, find the Player app and click on it. Click on the 'Force Stop' and 'Clear data' buttons (in that order). This makes sure that the app has completely stopped and forgets data from previous runs.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:55:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:55:29