Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

iOS and MacOS / iOS App's (Developing When You Haven't Got A Mac)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 16:53
What do you guys do if you want to make an app for iOS and you don't have a Mac?

I run Windows 7 on my PC and the only Apple products I own is an iPhone and iPad.

I really want to start developing app's for iOS but Mac's are to costly and I cannot afford to get one (and finance isn't an option).

I found this website http://www.macincloud.com/ which seems to be the answer to my problem but I don't know what this entails. Do I need to code on a Mac to make app's for iOS? I thought I could make my app with C++ or BASIC scripting with AppGameKit and not need to know a line of code for iOS development.

I'm a bit confused on why I need a Mac to develop for iOS

My apologize also, I am new here.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 18:20
Welcome to the TGC forums.

This isn't an issue with AppGameKit, it's an issue with Apple. You can only compile Apple-based apps on a Mac. As far as I understand it, the process of making the final build utilises Mac-only functionality (perhaps part of XCode?)

I think there is still a service provided by a TGC community member that gets your app compiled for $25. You still need your own Apple Dev ID which will cost you $99.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
devdavejames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2014 18:48
Thanks for the response BatVink.

I am very new to all this stuff so I have no clue what the steps are and what it all involves. I have been getting some responses on the Steam forums in regards to this also but I though posting it here might get me more answers

I will be purchasing a dev plan with Apple next year, for now I think the best approach to learn AppGameKit and how this all works will be to stick with developing on Windows PC for Android haha. I already have a project that I can start working on in AppGameKit, I am hoping to do this in C++ but I first need to figure out how to get that all set up so I can code in Visual Studio.

I have ton's of questions but I don't want to be known as the 'nagger' here on the forums so I'll be hitting Google and Youtube hard in upcoming weeks haha
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 01:22
Dave, i give you the best suggestion.
Buy a Mac Mini.
XCode is the best IDE i ever used, and when you are in, AppGameKit work perfectly.
Really!!! Buy it and you will never come back again!!!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2014 23:20
If you don't want to buy a Mac I have provided publishing services for a number of AppGameKit users. Shoot me an email when you're ready and I can help.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2015 16:14 Edited at: 1st Feb 2015 16:16
Guys, I'm in a similar pickle as the OP. I have recently bought AGK2, but - though I have and iPad - I have no Mac to build the AGK2 Player.

My iPad is jailbroken so... does anyone have/know where I can find a pre-compiled AGK2 Player 2.0.10 I can side-load on my iPad?

When I officially need to release a game, I know I'll probably get a Mac and an Apple dev account but, in the meantime, I just want to play around with my creations on my personal iPad.

Thanks in advance!

I have vague plans for World Domination
Parry
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2015 23:36 Edited at: 6th Feb 2015 23:38
Quote: "Buy a Mac Mini."

Would any Mac Mini do? I know nothing about apple. Do you need a certain amount of memory or cpu size, lastest operating system? Im thinking of buying something used.

Thanks
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2015 23:44
You would need the most recent OS X, which a new device will come with.

If you buy a new Mac Mini direct from Apple, it will work just fine.

If you buy a used one (like from eBay), you need to make sure that it is using the Intel chip set.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the bump, but let me repeat the question

Quote: "My iPad is jailbroken so... does anyone have/know where I can find a pre-compiled AGK2 Player 2.0.10 I can side-load on my iPad?"

BTW, Ancient Lady, good to see you after me coming back all these years later. We chatted quite a lot way back in the DarkGDK days if I remember correctly

Cheers,

Miguel

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2015 03:10
Quote: "We chatted quite a lot way back in the DarkGDK days if I remember correctly"

That is entirely possible.

A few years back I decided to resurrect my then WIP in DarkGDK. And I discovered that a key class file had disappeared. And I didn't have the heart to try to recreate it.

I am enjoying working in Tier 2 with AGK. I have a new WIP that only needs me to finish the last few game levels to publish it. Sadly, I now work a full-time day job and have been having a hard time making the time for it.

I haven't compiled the iOS Player that you need, yet. We are having an electrical issue in our new house and the circuit my Mac Mini is on is currently down (and my long cord is being used for my PC). When I get this straightened out, I can try and create a Player for you. (But I don't know what the timing will be.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
That's great,thanks! I'm not in any huge rush to test something specific - I just want to have it lying around to check things as I play around with them.

Cheers,

Mig

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2015 12:49
Quote: "I found this website http://www.macincloud.com/"

I have just submitted an application to Apple which I created using the AppGameKit IDE via this Mac In Cloud service... From an IPA generation perspective, this service definitely works... I am just hoping it gets through Apples Approval Process...

If it does, this will be a great alternative for those who do not own or cannot afford a Mac (like me )... My app is currently awaiting Review I will let you know how it pans out...

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2015 13:48
Someone mentioned about installing MAC software virtually on your PC, not sure how to do this or if it even works?
Didn't bother looking into it because I was told that you had to have an Intel machine and mine is AMD.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 11:31 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 15:27
Quote: "My app is currently awaiting Review I will let you know how it pans out..."

Just to provide an update... My app was approved by Apple

This is great news for those that do not own a Mac as IMO this is a viable/cheap alternative... I use the cloud service for approximately 5 minutes, just to export the ipa and submit using Application Loader. All prep work is done on my Windows machine.

I've got to say, AGK2 is quite simply amazing!

EDIT: Just downloaded my app on a friends iPhone, and there doesn't appear to be any sound... Hmmm... Am hoping this is my issue and not anything related to using a Cloud Mac??? Will run some experiments...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 13:40 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 14:03
Quote: "All prep work is done on my Windows machine."

So you can set up an IOS account etc on windows paying your £99 and then just build the APP on a MAC in the same way as building a pack for Android?
Do you need a key like Android?
If you know someone who has a MAC could you just build the APP on their amchine and then save it to a USB stick then upload it from windows?
Do you have to pay the £99 every year or can you release as many APP's as you want in a year and they still sell if you don't renew?

Well done on getting your APP accepted.

Cheers.

Programming - AMOS on the AMIGA! / DBPro / Python / A bit of C C++ / now also AGK2! - Graphics - Deluxe Paint on the Amiga / Paintshop Pro / Photoshop / Lightroom / Grafx2
Previously worked for Prisma Software producing childrens educational software on the Amiga - Titles - Pepe's Garden - Paint Pot / Kids Academy range - Paint Pot II / Shopping Basket / Which Where What? / Blobs / Alvin's Puzzles
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 15:08 Edited at: 25th Feb 2015 15:08
Quote: "So you can set up an IOS account etc on windows paying your £99 and then just build the APP on a MAC in the same way as building a pack for Android?"

Yes, pretty much. So the only thing you actually need the Mac for, is exporting the .ipa and submitting it to Apple via Application Loader.

One additional step you will need to take when you first get your Mac access, is to create a Signing Certificate, which you then upload to your Developer Account - this only takes a couple minutes. Once the 'Signing Certificate' has been created and uploaded to your Dev Portal you will be issued a 'Distribution Certificate' which you will need to download on the Mac and add to your Key Chain (again, this only needs to be done once (or until it expires)).

Also, I believe its $99, not £99, so a little cheaper

Quote: "Do you need a key like Android?"

Apple have what are called 'Provisioning Profiles' which are specific to each app (much like Android Key Stores) these can be created and managed from the Dev Portal via a Web Browser (I do this in Windows).

Once you have the 'Provisioning Profile', you download it to your Mac and provide it when exporting the ipa from the IDE.

Quote: "If you know someone who has a MAC could you just build the APP on their amchine and then save it to a USB stick then upload it from windows?"

No. The application (.ipa) must be submitted via a Mac using either xCode or Application Loader.

Quote: "Do you have to pay the £99 every year or can you release as many APP's as you want in a year and they still sell if you don't renew?"

Yes, the $99 has to be paid yearly. If your Dev Membership expires, all of your apps will be removed from the Store.

This may sound a bit complex, but honestly, its pretty straight forward! Like I say, it only takes me a few minutes to submit my app. The worst part about Apple is that they require a ridiculous amount of sreenshots of different resolutions, but as this can all be done on Windows, you can get all this done before even accessing the Mac...

Hope this helps...

SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2015 15:35
@Funnell7

that's really helpful, thanks for the info.

I am not ready to release on IOS yet but am nearing completion on my first APP and will be releasing on Play Store first.
I then intend to later release on the IOS store and I trying to see how things are done.

Very helpful.

Cheers

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, the $99 has to be paid yearly. If your Dev Membership expires, all of your apps will be removed from the Store. "

Wow, that's a bit harsh, isn't it? Is that common practice in other stores?

Quote: "his may sound a bit complex, but honestly, its pretty straight forward!"

Maybe in practice it's not, but it does sound positively Kafkian when you're reading it.

Cheers!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 06:45
I think Apple use the best politic as in this way no trash app are on the store and less programmers make we can earn much more than on Android.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 15:04
Quote: "Am hoping this is my issue and not anything related to using a Cloud Mac??? Will run some experiments...
"

@Funnel7 Did you ever get the sound issue sorted with MacInCloud? I want to start developing for Apple too. In terms of actaull hardware, I can get hold of an old iMac (core 2 duo with 10.6.3 installed). Will this do the job?

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 15:33
Yes I did... Kinda embarrassing, when you get the links to access the cloud based mac you get a whole host of different links each with different settings. I failed to notice the one which said 'with sound' lol...

I've submitted about 10 apps/updates using this service now all without issue. Def the way to go if you don't have access/cannot afford a mac.

CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 15:57
Great stuff! Thanks for the update. If the intel core 2 duo iMac is not suitable (it's intel, so it should be okay - right?), then this will be my 2nd choice.

V2 T1 (Mostly)
Uzmadesign
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2015 17:15
Be sure to get a mini since 2nd half of 2011 at least.
You need at least maverick tomget the update.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:29:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:29:24