Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Got a magnet implanted into my fingertip - For SCIENCE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2014 07:37
Quote: "I was joking, putting magnets in the fingers of every baby would be quite an extreme thing to do "

Hard to tell considering there are people believing these kind of things are okay~
Nice that we're on te same page tho

Whose eyes are those eyes?
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2014 14:47
Quote: "I was joking, putting magnets in the fingers of every baby would be quite an extreme thing to do"

Do you think that in the near future we'll be implanting RFID chips into babies? There has been some talk about having every human carry an RFID chip.

@DJD64 && Clonkex - Don't bite your nails

[15 days after operation]

The stitches are removed, I've reached my final healing stages. There's no pain, only numbness around the magnet.

Quote: "That looks kind of like an infection. I'm not a doctor and neither are most of the people here so I'd recommend calling one just to make sure you're ok."

I did just that and I was told that if the marks don't disappear within the next week, I should get it checked out. They are fading and feeling has returned, so it seems like it was a result of wearing the bandages too tight.

I like offending people. People who get offended should be offended. -- Linus Torvalds
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 14th Dec 2014 23:05
Quote: "Do you think that in the near future we'll be implanting RFID chips into babies? There has been some talk about having every human carry an RFID chip."

Problem with this is hardware upgrades will be difficult

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2014 19:09
Quote: "Do you think that in the near future we'll be implanting RFID chips into babies?"

No doubt at some point in the future it will be seriously considered. It probably would have great benefits but would just be wrong on almost every other level.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 02:12
Mount RFID chips on teeth, in a similar manner to orthodontic brace brackets. It would stay there pretty secure (assuming no crunching hard things), and the individual would have the option to remove it if they wished. But then that would defeat the whole purpose, since everyone would get them removed.

Hey, how about this idea: you need a license to legally not have the chip mounted, and anyone may obtain a license for a measly several thousand USD/quid/pounds/euros/currencies paid right to the government.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 02:59
Quote: "Mount RFID chips on teeth"

Why teeth? Back of your hand would make more sense.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 05:13
Where and how would it mount on the back of your hand without invasive surgery? On the tooth quite nicely with a little glue.

Perhaps a wristband?

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Humans should come with QR codes.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 06:43
QR code tattoos! Looking up images, that seems like something that's been done.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2014 11:45
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2014 14:49
That's a 1D barcode though, probably big enough to hold 8 bytes of information, like an NI number or social security number... which begs the question, why would anyone need to get a tattoo of a number they could easily memorize instead

Might be a good solution for people who can never remember their password - just get a cheap barcode scanner and scan your tattoo - a ghetto biometric security system and a badass Henry Rollins style tattoo in one!

I am the one who knocks...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2015 14:47
It's been a while, I figure an update is in order. It's almost gone completely, it's hard to spot where it is without knowing what to look for.

It's still relatively numb. It will take about 6 months before everything is completely healed.

In the mean time, I've made the observation that in restaurants, knives are always magnetic, forks are sometimes magnetic, and spoons are never magnetic.

It's also fun to pick up small metallic objects and run my fingers along magnetic surfaces.

The only way to do great work is to love what you do -- Steve Jobs
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2015 00:31
Quote: "In the mean time, I've made the observation that in restaurants, knives are always magnetic, forks are sometimes magnetic, and spoons are never magnetic."

lol

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 02:44

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2015 15:00
Does it get a problem, the whole knifes and forks etc (Cutlery?) being magnetical?

Whose eyes are those eyes?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:46:46
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:46:46